Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio MINI OEM iPod harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 04:12 PM
jblow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI OEM iPod harness

I have an aux input kit, but after miles of motoring notice that it may be more handy to step up to the OEM/factory kit to not only charge my iPod but to allow use of the multifunction steering wheel buttons. What is the part number and who has good pricing on this item? Are these still on nationwide backorder??

TIA

Old 01-02-2005, 04:42 PM
jblow
4th Gear
bump

Can anyone point me to the more info on the factory iPod harness?

Old 01-02-2005, 05:50 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
I'm not sure what the part number is.

If you want power with your current system, here's an alternate solution:

I'm not ready to get either the BMW/MINI iPod connector or the IceLink system, mostly because of cost issues. I also don't like the look of too many cables in my MINI (power from the cigarette lighter and sound to the AUX input jack) so I came up with a cheap, simple solution.

Basically, the final product is a small wire lead to an iPod port that powers and connects my iPod to my MINI.

I first started with power. Here is a pic of a connector that creates a 12V lead from the fuse box. You can get these at most auto supply stores for around $7. I chose a fuse that was only live when the key is in turned on.

Next, I wired up a power socket that I picked up from Radio Shack for $7. The red wire went into the fuse box lead and the black was grounded. Within the socket I've plugged in the Belkin Auto Kit which normally retails for $40 but I got one off of ebay for $12 (total with shipping). The cool thing about the BAK is that it supplies power and a connection to the AUX input with only one connection to the iPod.

Here is a pic of my new center console tray WITHOUT the AUX input port (the red button is for the built-in garage door opener). I've placed the connection for the AUX input behind the dash with the BAK and the rest of the wiring.

Here is the dock connector end of the Belkin Auto Kit. The wire is nicely tucked under the gear shift console. The final look is a single connection for power and music.

Finally, here is a pic of my iPod connected. This isn't my final mounting option. I'm still looking into that, so stay tuned. BTW, the total cost so far is $26 or $37 if you include the center console tray.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:08 PM
TJ
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had it for two weeks now, got it from the dealer. It is a kit. if you go to your dealer and ask for it they will/should know what you are asking for, if not i'd find a better dealer.

I opted to install it myself, no regrets. The install was painless for the most part. Was a bit tricky getting the pillars out on either side of the hu to remove the hu, but realized two screws afterwards that would have made things alot easier. That and a few of the wires that you need to crimp new ends on are a bit finicky to work with due to the guage of wire and size of the ends that need to be crimped on.

Took me about two hours, although I farted around for quite a while and was being extremely careful, as this was the first major dis-assembly I have performed on my cooper s, which I had taken delivery of 2 hours before I installed the ipod adapter. Other audio installs I have done were much more difficult and time consuming than this.

Now the operation. if you have ever used a HU with a CD changer mounted in the trunk, you will understand how the adapter works. You have 5 playlists on your ipod that you create with your computer, these are essentially what the HU recognizes as 5 cds in a CD changer. you can select each playlist using the numbered preset buttons on your HU. the 6th preset button selects all the music on your ipod, or the 6th cd if you will.

The cons:
You can read every where that it does not display the names of the song etc that is playing on the ipod, and I have not seen any indication that it ever will (not much different than the icelink).
When you select random then turn the car off and get back in you need to reselect random to ramdomize the playback.
There is no "mount" in the glovebox or anywhere else. I'd feel a little better, and think that the kit would be better if it included a dock or something to hold it in place in the glovebox. it would also be nice if the pre '05 models had a lock, but this is no real fault of the ipod adapter.

The pros:
Excellent sound quality.
ipod is powered via car, one simple cable does it all.
Doesn't make the lights and wipers do crazy things after install, like i have read of the icelink.
works with the MFSW.

Overall I am happy. I organized my playlists so I understand what each one is, and for the price I believe it is comparable to other solutions on the market for the options that you get.