Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Anyone done an XM Direct/Blitzsafe Install on an 'O5 Cabrio w/HK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 03:17 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone done an XM Direct/Blitzsafe Install on an 'O5 Cabrio w/HK?

I'm through waiting for Sirius for the '05. Has anyone done the XM Direct/Blitzsafe install on an '05 Cabrio with HK. Specifically, where is the best place to put the antenna? I'm assuming that the above setup will provide digital quality sound (not FM modulated), MFSW control and song/artist info on the HK headunit for around $250.00. I've lurked this issue for awhile, but have yet to see an actual install on an Hk'ed Cabrio.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 12-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Addsy77
1st Gear
here's some pix from 05 MCC install

I'll try to make comments on them soon... here's the link to the pix

http://webpages.charter.net/tprado/mcc/

Old 12-08-2004, 06:25 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Mike,

I have an 05 with H/K non-cabrio model and have done the install relatively easy. Of course antenna placement is your biggest issue. I remember seeing somewhere in the audio section about someone with a cabrio doing this. Do a search on the audio forum to see if you can find the thread (sorry I can't be more help.

Keep in mind if you buy the XMD1000 (XM direct tuner) it comes witha really cool and small antenna. Since it is magnetic you can place it anywhere on the body and be good to go provided it gets the clearance to the sky!

One place you may consider is on the bonnet near your wipers. It should have a place to hold, keep it relatively hidden and also give you that access into the car from the engine bay without compromising any seals into the interior of the car. Now of course I am not standing at my car while I type this so I could be completely out of whack in offering you that suggestion

Good luck and please let us know where you choose to place it.

Chris

Old 12-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Addsy77
1st Gear
In the MCC, the hardest part of the install is getting to that cd-wiring. The cd-changer wiring is not accessible from a panel in the boot. You must remove the interior side panel that covers the passenger side of the boot. The harness is down at the bottom, near the rear seat, and it can't be reached w/o removing the interior of the boot. Also, I couldn't find a location to hide the XM tuner, so I placed it out of the way up on the shelf. The cabrio top has no problem going up or down with it placed there. Also, if you take a look at my pics, you can see that I put the antenna above the rear light and it gets good reception.

Happy motoring!

http://webpages.charter.net/tprado/mcc/