Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R55 Navigation update problems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Semper Fi Huck
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
R55 Navigation update problems!

I have a 2012 S Clubman with the Mini connected navigation. It was last updated in 2016, so I decided to do an update. I did a lot of research and got a lifetime FSC code with North America MOVE 2019-7 maps. I downloaded, unzipped, and put all the files into the root directory of a FAT32 formatted 32 gig USB drive. I put the drive into the glovebox port and turned on the power. Everything was going great and got up to 10% uploaded into the car. Then the power shut off, because I was doing it in the accessory and not with the engine running since I was low on fuel. When I went back to turn it back on I couldn’t get it to continue updating, and the navigation that was on there will not work either. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to continue downloading, but I have not been able to so far. The directions from BMW say that it’s ok to shut off power during the update process, and that it will just pick up where it left off when it’s powered up again. Whenever I power it back up it tells me to put the USB drive back in even though it’s already in the port. So I remove and reinstall the USB drive and it goes back to the update progress screen, but just stays at 0%. After a while of showing nothing happening it kicks me back to the home screen, but when I select navigation again it just pops up the message saying to put the USB drive back in.
Does anyone know how to fix this, or is it corrupted and unfixable? If it cannot be reflashed or something, which part of the system do I need to swap out to get things working again? Also if I change out a part how do I get it mirrored up to my VIN so everything works together in my car? I hope that someone can help!

Old 07-09-2019, 05:06 AM
Semper Fi Huck
1st Gear
Some progress...

Even though no one has responded yet I will update this with my progress so far. After about 5 or 6 days I have finally gotten the new maps up to 65% uploaded to the car. After not having any progress no matter what I did I had left the USB stick inserted in the port in the glove box, and my wife used the car to go somewhere. When she got back the progress showed 10%, since she has a different key I figured maybe that’s what got the upload working again (my car has the comfort access where each key stores the car settings for each individual and we don’t have to put the key in the ignition it just has to be in the car). So then I tried just using her key, but it only progressed a little farther then froze up again. Then I decided to try a restart by canceling the update and disconnecting the battery for a little while reconnecting and trying again. To my surprise it just picked up where it left off and started uploading again. To be clear it doesn’t show real-time progress like it did when I first started the update on the progress bar. What I discovered is that it will upload but the Navigation will be frozen for about 10-15 minutes then a message will pop up telling me to insert the USB, so I have to remove it reinstall it and shut off the car until everything times out and goes to sleep. Then I can restart the car and look at the progress bar and it will show the previous progress. This was working great until I got into the 30-40% range and it really slowed down again. Then I decided to disconnect the battery like I did before, and when I reconnected it took off uploading pretty quick again for a little bit. Then when it slowed down again I did it one more time, and last I looked I was up to 65%. Hopefully today I can get it completely downloaded.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts
Geez what a headache. This is why I never order a car with Nav and just use Waze.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Semper Fi Huck
1st Gear
I didn’t order it I was the winning bidder on a salvage auction, and I rebuilt it.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Semper Fi Huck
1st Gear
Update on my Nav update. I got it all the way up to 77% on the progress bar then it gave me a new error message saying that the USB was unreadable. �� So I decided to hit cancel again and try some of my tricks that I was using to get it to load, but all it did was drop the progress down to 0.0% again. �� I decided to shoot a message to they guy on eBay that I bought the update from, and I told him everything I did and all the problems I was having. I have a MAC and was using that to format and download the update, he told me I had to use a PC because the car is not compatible with a MAC. So I pulled my ancient PC out and did all the updates to it that haven’t been done in 3 years, so I could download, unzip, and install on a windows formatted FAT32 USB stick. I did all that and I can’t get the progress to go any further than 1%. I’m going to reach out to this guy again to see if there’s anything else I can do, but it’s not looking good.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:11 PM
Semper Fi Huck
1st Gear
Finally got the update finished! I contacted the seller again, told him the problems I was having, and he said to get a new USB stick and try it all again with the PC format FAT 32 and download. I did, and even though I still had a lot of the problems I had before it finally worked! It took 14 days, but it finally updated the nav system!
Even though I have the most up to date maps, it’s already out of date. There’s a new bypass where I am currently at in Southern Ohio that’s been open for a few months, and it’s not on the new map. But, up until a week or so ago it wasn’t even on Google maps either.
My advice to anyone else that wants to update their second Gen NAV system:
Use a PC for all the computer part
Use a brand new never used USB stick
Do the whole update at once (DO NOT SHUT OFF THE CAR)
I think if I would’ve done all those things to start with , I would’ve been done in an hour or two!