Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Gremlin in CD Boost system randomly switches off "iPod" option

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 05:07 PM
LenrdZelig
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gremlin in CD Boost system randomly switches off "iPod" option

I’ve noticed what might be an electrical “gremlin” in my stereo system, and was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem and could offer advice.

I recently purchased a 2014 R57 with the H/K speakers / Mini Boost CD system (not the navigation system). I received from the dealer when I purchased it a BMW cord that plugs into the AUX and USB ports, allowing an iPhone to be connected and controlled from the head unit / steering wheel.

I’ve noticed a couple of times while I’ve been out, that connecting the iPhone to the system it will initially show “iPod” on the Head Unit, and I can control the music playback from there. But after awhile of driving, this will suddenly stop, and checking the Head Unit the “iPod” option is missing, but “Aux” and “USB” ARE showing as available.

I’ve attempted to unplug / plug the iPhone, turn the radio off and on, and even stopped and restarted the car, but the head unit will not show the “iPod” option it once did.

In an effort to troubleshoot this as it was happening, I borrowed my roommates iPhone, and it worked as normal for 30 or so miles. But when I reconnected my iPhone it would show the “Aux / USB” input options.

The next day, however, I connected my iPhone, and the “iPod” optioned had returned. And worked with no issues for a week (I have to sometimes double press the steering wheel button to go to the next track, but I don’t think that’s here nor there).

While out today driving back from the a doctor’s appointment, the radio once again stopped “iPod” playback and returned to the “Aux/USB” input on the console. And I fiddled with it a bit, but had to get back to work.

I suppose my question is, has anyone else had a similar problem with connectivity? While it’s not an absolute dealbreaker (I can still listen to my iPhone through the Aux connection) - it IS nice to be able to control it from the steering wheel. And if there is something I can to to reset or correct it to keep from happening at all, I’d be most appreciative.

Thanks! And happy motoring!