Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio BMW MFSW iPod Interface for MC

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 04:53 PM
imaginemini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW MFSW iPod Interface for MC

Since I put my order for my MC a few weeks back I've been busily working up a GIGANTIC music database on ITunes for downloading to the IPod I intend to get, especially for playing in my Mini. Do we know for sure that the BMW interface will be available for us soon? My MA at Classic Mini says she hasn't heard anything definite yet. Anybody out there know more????

Old 11-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Mini N Vy
Neutral
ipod interface

I have an all black 03 "S" and i have installed "ice-link" for the ipod and has worked flawlessly. All controls on the steering wheel works, and charges my 3rd gen. Ipod. plugs into the cd changer in the trunk, and then the ipod mounts on the control panel column on the right side.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:14 PM
ep's fitz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by imaginemini
Since I put my order for my MC a few weeks back I've been busily working up a GIGANTIC music database on ITunes for downloading to the IPod I intend to get, especially for playing in my Mini. Do we know for sure that the BMW interface will be available for us soon? My MA at Classic Mini says she hasn't heard anything definite yet. Anybody out there know more????
It is out there. There was a rally yesterday in Long Beach, and showed it already installed in a MCS. I have already ordered the adapter from them when they get them in. Adapter is 150 and installation was 150. Hope this helps!
Elizabeth

Old 11-09-2004, 04:24 AM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
The BWM interface is stupid IMO. You don't get the ability to really control your iPod like you do with other interfaces out there, like icelink. Plus your dealer is going to charge you a ton to install it. Go buy the icelink or something and save your money. Or you could do what I do and try to manually operate your iPod and not drive off the road.

Old 11-09-2004, 06:49 AM
LombardStreet
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini N Vy
I have an all black 03 "S" and i have installed "ice-link" for the ipod and has worked flawlessly. All controls on the steering wheel works, and charges my 3rd gen. Ipod. plugs into the cd changer in the trunk, and then the ipod mounts on the control panel column on the right side.
So does this mean one has to have the CD changer? Kinda redundant, when you can have a few hundred albums on your iPod!

Old 11-09-2004, 07:03 AM
SoCar S
4th Gear
Where can one get this icelink?

Old 11-09-2004, 08:04 AM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
Use your powers of internet searching.

There's a guide on installing it over at motoringfile.com and probably some links as to where to buy it. There's another interface for the iPod that is similar to icelink, but I can't think of it, maybe someone can chime in with the name of it.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:19 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As I understand it, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm going on info provided by the dealer, but Long Beach MINI, in California is the only MINI dealer in the USA that has the adaptor right now--they gave one away as a grand prize at the Poker Rally on Sunday--as ep fitz mentioned.

http://www.longbeachmini.com/index.asp

Richard

Originally Posted by imaginemini

Old 11-09-2004, 02:47 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SoCar S
Where can one get this icelink?
Here you go: http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php

Old 11-09-2004, 02:52 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LombardStreet
So does this mean one has to have the CD changer? Kinda redundant, when you can have a few hundred albums on your iPod!
No - in fact, you cannot operate a CD changer and the ice-link at the same time. What Mini N Vy meant is that you can connect the ipod to the CD changer cable in the boot. Alternatively, you can also order a version of the ice-link that connects directly to the head unit...in the place where the other end of the CD changer cable normally goes. You just need to specify which type of connection you want when you order the ice-link. I got the version that connects directly to the head unit...takes a bit more time to install, but not too hard.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:49 PM
ep's fitz
2nd Gear
From what I understand the ice link, although great, and what I would get if the adapter did not come out, has pretty much the same features. And from what I calculated would cost about as much as the MINI adapter. You get 5 playlists, and the 6th is all your music on your Ipod. You control it with your MFSW (if you have one).
For $150, I don't think it's a bad deal since I will install it myself.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:03 PM
yasodic
3rd Gear
Soooo does this mean you could use the xm/blitzsafe with the pass through to the cd changer, with the cd changer input from the icelink?! or is this just wishful thinking?

Old 11-09-2004, 08:14 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
if i'm not wrong, by installing any of those adapter, i will lose the aux port!

which means no input source other than IPOD, and no playstation!
Mark, you know what i mean right?

Old 11-09-2004, 08:37 PM
alivenkickn
Neutral
BMW MFSW IPod Interface for MC

I just talked to my salesman, Eddie, at East Bay MINI, and he tells me the unit from BMW to link the iPod should be out at the end of this month (November).

Is ICE Link only applicable for vehicles with disc changers (rather than what the link that BMW is offering via a single CD player/multi-function steering wheel)?

Thanks,

SM

Old 11-09-2004, 08:46 PM
yasodic
3rd Gear
http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.ph...=378&Itemid=82

Icelink has a variety of ways to link to your stereo, check it out.

mike

ps sales people have been promising the adapter for the end of the month since august/september, so dont hold your breath well at least i stopped holding mine

Old 11-10-2004, 05:41 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Steven Mitchell
Is ICE Link only applicable for vehicles with disc changers (rather than what the link that BMW is offering via a single CD player/multi-function steering wheel)?

Thanks,

SM
No - it's just the opposite - you cannot have a CD changer and the ice-link. See my post above.

Old 11-10-2004, 05:43 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisfb1
if i'm not wrong, by installing any of those adapter, i will lose the aux port!

which means no input source other than IPOD, and no playstation!
Mark, you know what i mean right?
Hey, Chris! I know where you're coming from. I'll have to do some research on that question, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the aux port plugs into the head unit in a different place than the CD changer, so I think you can use both an aux input and ice-link at the same time! But don't take my word for it...need to research further. :smile:

Old 11-10-2004, 05:57 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Okay, Chris, based on 10 minutes of further research I am almost positive that you can have both the aux input and the ice-link at the same time. How? Greatbear's aux install write-up (here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?p=146236) showed that he was able to have the aux input and the cd changer at the same time, because they plug into different sockets in back of the head unit. The ice-link uses the same socket as the cd changer, so it should not interfere with the aux input. You can think of the ice-link as a pseudo-cd-changer, because it works by fooling the head unit into thinking that the ice-link is a cd changer. So the playstation/ice-link combo is a go!

Old 11-10-2004, 12:35 PM
miniwiley
2nd Gear
iPod adapter -- will it work with '02 head unit?

I have an '02 stock head unit with a 6-disc changer mounted in the trunk. Will this setup work if I want to add the iPod adapter to it? I've read some posts and can't decipher whether or not the aux input is necessary or if you can't use both the 6-disc changer and the iPod adapter at the same time.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2004, 02:13 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
miniwiley, it depends on what kind of interface you use for your ipod. If you use the ice-link, then you can't also have a CD changer. But I think (based on greatbear's write-up referenced in my post above) that if you use the aux input to connect your ipod, then you can also have a CD changer. The aux input is also a lot cheaper, but does not give you the same amount of control that you get from the ice-link.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:21 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperMark
The aux input is also a lot cheaper, but does not give you the same amount of control that you get from the ice-link.
Nor the same audio quality. If you have an iPod with dock connector, the Ice-Link provides a digital signal to your HU.

-mike

Old 11-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Xman
3rd Gear
Talked to MINI USA today and the official word (as of yesterday) is that the IPod interface for MINIs will be available at the end of the month .....(it's about time!!!!)

Old 11-11-2004, 07:31 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniwiley
I have an '02 stock head unit with a 6-disc changer mounted in the trunk. Will this setup work if I want to add the iPod adapter to it? I've read some posts and can't decipher whether or not the aux input is necessary or if you can't use both the 6-disc changer and the iPod adapter at the same time.

Thanks!
The Aux input IS NOT compatible with your headunit. It only works with the 03 and newer headunits. So it may be possible that the iPod adapter won't work either.

In addition I was just up on the MINIUSA site, it appears that the iPod adapter won't work with the factory Nav either.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:36 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Doh! They must have changed that about the iPod/Nav combo in like the last 24 hours. Because I just tried it yesterday or the day before, and it still allowed you to do that.

Don't let that discourage you though, my guess is that there will be a way to get it to work, similar to how you can wire the aux input and CD changer inputs into the same connection.

-mike

Old 11-11-2004, 08:03 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by theWrkncacnter
Use your powers of internet searching.

There's a guide on installing it over at motoringfile.com and probably some links as to where to buy it. There's another interface for the iPod that is similar to icelink, but I can't think of it, maybe someone can chime in with the name of it.
Wait 18 days and check out the iCruize from Monster Cable (Monstercable.com). The press bulletin says there is an optional display that will give you the track information missing from the other displays. Sounds interesting.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio BMW MFSW iPod Interface for MC