Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio XM Direct install for $150

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ENIMENIMINI
I'm just getting inon this, and hope this not too redundant, but a question or two.
1. Are all 2005 MINI cooper satelite radio ready?
If so I have located at Myradiostore.com a DIRECT RECIEVER ,XM-RVR-D-101 FOR 159.99 Is this a good price, or is there some cheaper and or better out there? No IPOD here, so I guess I don't need the blitzsafe? Right??
If you look at what myradiostore.com is selling, it's the XM direct receiver, plus the blitzsafe interface. That price seems average...

Old 05-25-2007, 10:06 AM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ENIMENIMINI
I'm just getting inon this, and hope this not too redundant, but a question or two.
1. Are all 2005 MINI cooper satelite radio ready?
If so I have located at Myradiostore.com a DIRECT RECIEVER ,XM-RVR-D-101 FOR 159.99 Is this a good price, or is there some cheaper and or better out there? No IPOD here, so I guess I don't need the blitzsafe? Right??
The Blitz is part of that package, and that is what runs the XM Direct box. With that kit you get an XM Direct box and a Blitz. The Blitz plugs into the XM direct, and you plug the Blitz into the two wire bundles in the boot for your CD changer. This kit also lets you retain the CD changer by including a pigtail with a plug for the changer.
You may find it cheaper, but not by much. The nice thing with this vendor is that you can return it up to 30 days no questions asked.

Oh, and 05 radios are Sat ready.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Cooperb!
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Frank Matyja
takes 10 to 15 minutes and even if your brain dead it's easy.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 AM
gadgeTT
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi All,

I hope this isn't inappropriate in this forum, so here it goes...

I've have the XM Direct box and Blitzsafe adapter installed in my '06 MCS with H/K and Nav. The setup has been absolutely flawless and I couldn't have driven without it, however, my new '09 MCS is on the docks waiting for ride over to the 'states and has integrated Sirius.

As such, I'm wondering if anyone is insterested in making me an offer for the XM Direct box and Blitzsafe adapter? If it's worthwhile, I'll uninstall from my trade-in '06 before accepting delivery on the '09 and give it a great home in someone else's ride.

I also have a Parrot CK3200 color BT kit installed that I can remove and sell. The unit's audio passes through the car's speakers and mutes the stereo on a call, but does not integrate with the MFSW. It does, however, have a really nice color display with control buttons and allows for in-kit voice tagging and picture callerID even from an iPhone. (deets upon request). Nice kit, but my '09 MINI has integrated BT.

Anyway, if this is inappropriate in this forum, please excuse the post. If there is any interest in either kit (XM or BT), please let me know via PM or return posting here.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO those items will certainly sell. You might want to post those in the Market here on NAM to get yourself more exposure.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
gadgeTT
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashton
IMO those items will certainly sell. You might want to post those in the Market here on NAM to get yourself more exposure.
Sure thing - thanks for the advise.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:36 PM
LongBoarder
Neutral
Satellite and the R56?

Has anyone been able to add the mod with the new style radio and auto?

I have an XM puck for my garmin... but would like to have something built in....

LB

Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
SoCalSam
2nd Gear
Contacted the people at MyRadioStore about what I should get so I had a starting point. I have a DICE unit for my iPod and either like to replace the DICE unit or just keep it working while installing XM.

The customer service person pointed me to this:

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...ni-cooper.html

Any idea if that's what I need or if I should get anything else? Thanks!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 AM
ltphoto
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SoCalSam
Contacted the people at MyRadioStore about what I should get so I had a starting point. I have a DICE unit for my iPod and either like to replace the DICE unit or just keep it working while installing XM.

The customer service person pointed me to this:

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...ni-cooper.html

Any idea if that's what I need or if I should get anything else? Thanks!
That's what I have and it works perfectly with the XM Direct receiver. I also have a Dice (the one that connects at the CD changer cable). The Dice also plugs into the Blitzsafe and you select between XM and Ipod by pushing the mode button on the head unit. Everything can then be controlled by the MFSW buttons. The only drawback is that the information displayed from XM is limited to one line of 12 characters.

This is most likely the best solution if you want something that looks OEM.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 AM
SoCalSam
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ltphoto
That's what I have and it works perfectly with the XM Direct receiver. I also have a Dice (the one that connects at the CD changer cable). The Dice also plugs into the Blitzsafe and you select between XM and Ipod by pushing the mode button on the head unit. Everything can then be controlled by the MFSW buttons. The only drawback is that the information displayed from XM is limited to one line of 12 characters.

This is most likely the best solution if you want something that looks OEM.
Did you do the installation of the XM yourself? If so, where did you put the XM antenna? (I assume the little black box-looking item is an antenna)

Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 AM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
Did you do the installation of the XM yourself? If so, where did you put the XM antenna? (I assume the little black box-looking item is an antenna)
Check out the first post in this thread. The pictures are gone now, but the text directions are still there. It took me about 40 minutes to do taking my time with no tools required. If I did it again, I could do it in under 15 minutes.

The only tricky part was because I have HK, so the amp takes up space in that cubby hole area. Took me a few tries to figure out how to fit both boxes back in there, but it is possible.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 AM
ltphoto
2nd Gear
Yes, I did it myself. Very simple install. Fitting the XM Direct receiver and Blitzsafe in the cubby was tight with the HK amp, but it fits by sliding it up above the amp. Then everything closes up like nothing has been added.

I put the antenna puck on the dash right at the windshield up front. I didn't want to scratch the paint which I have seen happen a lot on other cars with the magnetic antenna just stuck to the roof. Reception is fine most of the time that way. The one exception is if I am headed directly north and going downhill. Since the satellites are to the south, the angle in that situation blocks the antenna with the roof. Otherwise everything works great.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 AM
amazonb
1st Gear
Any chance you kids can post a photo or two for me....I am having a hard time understanding how all of that will fit ...thanks so much, considering giving myself a Christmas present to make driving my mini that much more enjoyable...

Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM
rwcooke
Neutral
I just did this install today as well as a DICE iPod adapter. It was incredibly easy...except getting everything into the small space left by the HK amp. I know a couple of threads say they got it all in but I was not able to. I had to make a choice and ended up leaving the XMD unit in the boot compartment. The hatch still closed tight even with three wires coming out the side. I am now looking for a way to secure the XMD box to the side wall of the boot. Tried velcro but the adhesive side would not stick to the side wall of the boot at all. Open to suggestions there. End result is pretty awesome though. Great sound from XM and my iPod. Highly recommended. Tom at EAS (DICE adapter) was awesome help and the folks at myradio store had a great price on the Blitzsafe and XMD receiver unit.