Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio XM Direct install for $150

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 06:50 AM
Prw3
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have everything now to hook it up, now all I need is a 2003 or newer head unit. I prefer keeping the stereo stock but I have a 2002 that isnt sat compatable so if you know of anyone with a 2003 or newer head unit for sale let me know.

Old 10-23-2004, 09:51 AM
MINIACK
3rd Gear
Did you try hooking it up in your 2002? I also have the 02 and am kind of dissapointed that I can't use this setup without finding a newer HU. I love the stock unit but if I have to fork over another couple bills to get a newer HU, I might as well as go with a better sounding and one with preamp outputs. Anybody know what kind of price the 03 and up HUs are going for? I suppose if the price was right I would buy one. I checked e-Bay and didn't find anything.

Thanks,
MINIACK

Old 10-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Prw3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIACK
Did you try hooking it up in your 2002? I also have the 02 and am kind of dissapointed that I can't use this setup without finding a newer HU. I love the stock unit but if I have to fork over another couple bills to get a newer HU, I might as well as go with a better sounding and one with preamp outputs. Anybody know what kind of price the 03 and up HUs are going for? I suppose if the price was right I would buy one. I checked e-Bay and didn't find anything.

Thanks,
MINIACK
some 2002's depending on build date are sat ready

Old 10-24-2004, 04:34 PM
MINImaniacS
1st Gear
guys correct if im wrong

guys check out this link , is this the one ?????? http://www.rspeed.net/mini/item.asp?...4&prod=M20-603

Old 10-24-2004, 04:51 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
see post 76 it does not seem to work

Old 10-24-2004, 07:44 PM
DSA
3rd Gear
Must be Mini/XM V.1 the AUX one for some reason does not work.

Old 10-24-2004, 07:59 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
I wish someone can sort this whole thing out.
I want XM radio (for the factory radio) and at first it appeared that it could be obtained for about $150.00.
I have checked with several outfitters and manufactures, and none can provide a alternative to what BlitzSafe has.
The local dealer here told me I could get the complete setup kit, tuner and interface (that will interface with the factory radio) for about $250.00, I thought, at the time it was steep, well now I am beginning to think that will be about the price I will have to pay.
Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 10-25-2004, 06:01 AM
gnhovis
Reverse
Originally Posted by rajron
I wish someone can sort this whole thing out.
I want XM radio (for the factory radio) and at first it appeared that it could be obtained for about $150.00.
I have checked with several outfitters and manufactures, and none can provide a alternative to what BlitzSafe has.
The local dealer here told me I could get the complete setup kit, tuner and interface (that will interface with the factory radio) for about $250.00, I thought, at the time it was steep, well now I am beginning to think that will be about the price I will have to pay.
Anyone else have any ideas?
I've corresponded with several people who were mentioned as possible sources for parts in this thread and here's what I've been able to piece together. If anyone has contacts at Blitzsafe, maybe you can confirm:
- The only two Blitzsafe products that will work with the XMDirect Tuner and the stock (HK included) radio is the BMWXMD100 or BMWXMD101. The difference being the 101 model has the pass through for a CD changer.
- The base model Blitzsafe adapter such as the v.1 and v.1D referenced in other parts of this thread will only provide RCA jacks for an AUX device. They do not provide any controls to the AUX device and as such are just an alternative to using the AUX cable.
- The BMWXMD100/1 adapter is one of the more complex adapters made by Blitzsafe, hence part of the premium in pricing.
- The license Blitzsafe has from XM is to sell OEM adapters through the dealer network unlike aftermarket adapters which sell through retail channels. Most common pricing seems to be in the $279-299 range for the "kit". Some will give you credit for the Tuner ($50) but you still have to buy the "kit" from an authorized dealer rather than reseller. That alone seems to account for the $100 premium it seems to be costing above other similar adapters.

This raises a couple of interesting questions:
1. Isn't this illegal? I thought manufacturers were not allowed to dictate retail pricing? I understand they can restrict advertised pricing to protect MSRP and such, but I though a seller was supposed to be able to determine pricing. If any reseller is able to purchase the product but getting pressure to set a higher price to protect dealer margins, I'd be interested in hearing from you. So would the Attorney General's office in your state.
2. Is this proprietary or just complex? The XMDirect serial protocol seems to be fairly simple.See Link The open source community has several projects to use XM on your PC. See Link. Why can't we roll our own adapter?

What do you need to build an adapter?
1. Signal source. XMDirect Tuner available from many sources such as Cruchfield for $49.
2. Pinouts. From the link above, we know the pinouts from the XMDirect Tuner. Does anyone have the pinouts from the CD changer out cable on the radio? What protocol is it using?
3. Signal translation. Once #2 is figured out, it's a matter of designing a circuit board to do the nug work (or have I over simplified the problem?)

Thoughts? :smile:

Old 10-25-2004, 08:06 AM
rajron
3rd Gear
That is a great summary and it is much clearer now.

Hope someone comes up with a circuit and parts list soon, otherwise I see myself buying the kit.

rajron

Old 10-25-2004, 08:23 AM
DOKLB
2nd Gear
I cant believe blitzsafe got to enfig......i have an email from them, actually from christine, that says they want 150 for JUST the adaptor.. well i guess the few of us that got to buy the adaptor just got lucky, the group buy now seems to be the best and only way left.. good luck....

Old 10-25-2004, 08:37 AM
DSA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DOKLB
I cant believe blitzsafe got to enfig......i have an email from them, actually from christine, that says they want 150 for JUST the adaptor.. well i guess the few of us that got to buy the adaptor just got lucky, the group buy now seems to be the best and only way left.. good luck....
Actually....soundgate/or ipod adpt. Anyone have a group buydate?

Has B.S contacted NAM w/ group buy info?

Old 10-25-2004, 12:31 PM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
It appears tha Blitzsafe has a small forum for posting questions. I've started a thread there to try and get them to pay attention to us MINI owners regarding this topic.

So far no response. Maybe we should get more people to speak up?

http://blitzsafe.com/blitz_forum/dis...PagePosition=1

Old 10-25-2004, 03:49 PM
rappr
Neutral
I also called Blitzsafe and was informed that they are working on a group buy for the Interface through this forum. Has anyone seen any info on this??? I also checked out RSSpeed and they do not list the adapter that is referenced in these threads. (I have an e-mail to them pending) I cannot believe that Sat Radio is this much of a pain in the @$$. Any ideas out there on what the guy at Blitzsafe told me abou a group buy through NAM.com or why RSspeed doesn't list this interface???

Old 10-25-2004, 04:23 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
My fight is over.

I got all excited about getting XM radio for $150.00 then deflated when finding out I missed the boat by not purchasing the modules earlier. Told my friends at work about the situation and they just laughed and said bite the bullet and get the kit if you really want XM. Then, after comparing prices of the interface module from BlitzSafe to other applications (cars) I realized their price was not that far off from what they were charging for the Mini when compared to those other applications. So, today I purchased a XM kit utilizing the XMDirect tuner and BlitzSafe interface from a local dealer for about $250.00.
Call me weak and conforming but I will have XM by weeks end.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:32 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're weak and conforming!!!

Icelink and IPOD baby....one day

Old 10-25-2004, 04:39 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
Yea I know, and I think I made someone a little richer,
But, I will have my nearly 100 channels of radio!

Old 10-25-2004, 04:49 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yah, and I am jealous!

Old 10-25-2004, 09:12 PM
BigBlueOx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINImaniacS
guys check out this link , is this the one ?????? http://www.rspeed.net/mini/item.asp?...4&prod=M20-603
NO.. That one does not work. It's for a CD changer only. That is the one I bought and had to return.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Cooperb!
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rajron
So, today I purchased a XM kit utilizing the XMDirect tuner and BlitzSafe interface from a local dealer for about $250.00.
Call me weak and conforming but I will have XM by weeks end.
They are messing with your mind Rajron....

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

XM is completely awesome, but I just hate seeing MINI folk being ripped off.

Please tell me you're doing your own install...........

Chris.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:46 AM
rajron
3rd Gear
thanx

Cooperb;

Yes I am doing my own install – I just ordered the parts.
Everyone needs to make a buck, I wish I could make more myself.
For $250.00 is still seems like a good deal, considering quality of reception and choices of stations.
Indecently thank you for the education on XM radio, interfaces, and install procedures.

rajron

Old 10-26-2004, 07:51 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Since there doesn't seem to be any real group buy going on here I'm going to wait for the price to come down. Why don't they realize that they'd get so much more business if they lowered the price??? Seems like a no-brainer to me!

Old 10-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Cooperb!
3rd Gear
I'll Email the CEO of Blitzsafe tonight, and ask what he's going to do for MINI owners on this board.

They need to live up to their promise, and it should be a good deal for everyone.

I'll post his response here, if I get one.

Chris.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:49 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Thanks Chris! :smile:

Jenn

Old 10-26-2004, 07:30 PM
gnhovis
Reverse
Originally Posted by Cooperb!
I'll Email the CEO of Blitzsafe tonight, and ask what he's going to do for MINI owners on this board.

They need to live up to their promise, and it should be a good deal for everyone.

I'll post his response here, if I get one.

Chris.
Thanks, Chris. I think there is great interest in their product, and they may just be stuck between a contractual rock and a hard spot with XM corporate. I think the issue is that people have great interest in their product and are willing to pay a fair price for it, but don't like being limited to paying what appears to be twice as much for it for the "privilege" of having to buy from a dealer rather than the retail channel. :smile:

Old 10-28-2004, 10:50 AM
stever
3rd Gear
Final Clarification

Up until now I have been very unclear with the whole satellite connections.

I have a 2004 MCS with Navigation and HK systems. I was interested in Sirius at the time of purchase but due to the navigation system it was and still is not available. So I went the aftermarket route. I went to Tweeter which installed an audiovox sirius tuner and used the Blitzsafe AUX adapter. I had an external controller which displayed the song,artist and channel. But due to the limited space on the dashboard it looked crappy. last week I ended up ordering a kenwood siruis tuner and the soundgate adapter. Installed it last night and was very disappointed. The only information that is displayed on the head unit is the Channel, YOU CAN NOT SAVE THE CHANNELS ON THE HEAD UNIT. let me say with over 150 stations it is alot of fun locating the channel you want. I will be returning the sirius units tomorrow. If you want satellite radio at this time the only option we have as mini owners is XM. and Blitzsafe is the only adaptor that we can use that will use the steering wheel controls,display song artist and channel info and finally you can store your channel information.

I contacted Blitzsafe and spoke with Mark the head of tech. support department. At this time they are not selling the unit as a stand alone unit you must purchase the unit in a package deal (XMdirect+Antenna+Blitzsafe adaptor. The item number is BMW XMD 101 or 100 The difference is 101 will let you hook up a cd changer as well. The price is the same. so go with the 101, why restrict yourself. from www.myradiostore.com.
The entire package includeing standard ups shipping cost [size=2]286.98 on 10/28/04. Talk about a monopoly. Feel free to contact me via email if you want. It has been a long 2 weeks trying to figure this out. [/size]

[size=2]
[/size]

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio XM Direct install for $150