Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Blitzsafe Mini Interface Installation How-to by RSpeed

Old 11-21-2002, 10:20 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the complete how-to please click here

Old 11-22-2002, 07:59 AM
roundy
Neutral
Hello,

Thanks for the informative article on how to install a Blitzsafe adapter. I've been thinking about getting this adapter for my iPod. However, I'm a bit confused at Step 6 of the instructions.

Step 6 starts by saying "Take the boot out of the tower and notice the double stitching and the long peg at the back (Figure 6)". What is a boot and how do you take it ouf of the tower? Also, Figure 6 does not seem to be included on the web page.

Connecting the Blitzsafe adapter is easy enough to understand. My real problem would be how to run the 9 feet of RCA cables up to the front of the car. Your article describes running it down the middle of the car which sounds good to me, but how did you do it? Did you have to remove the rear seat? Between the rear seat and the front console, did you run the cable under the carpet or just leave it on top? If it's under the carpet, how did you get under the carpet?

Perhaps a Figure 6 and 6a would help here.

Please help me out here. I'm really interested in this product, but I don't really want to dismantle half my interior for "exploration". I remember doing that in my younger days on my first few cars. :smile:

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Roundy

Old 11-22-2002, 01:23 PM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
That's odd - I think there is an error online here. Step 6 should *just* say:

"Step 6) Depending on your application, you will need to purchase a set of RCA cables that will be attached to the female ends on your Blitzsafe - 9 feet will be plenty. You will need to run this cable up to the front of your Mini to you main source, in this case, an Apple iPod. The Apple iPod requires a small adaptor that you can find at most Radio Shack locations that is a “female RCA to 1/8” jack connector” or “Y-adaptor” (which should run about $4.00). We ran our cable up the center of the car and by tucking the RCA cable under the plastic center console for tidiness. It is up to your discretion as to where you would like to run your cable."

Do - I have no idea where stitching came from. Yes, run the cables up the center - you can tuck them away under each seat. And yes, you will have to remove each seat to do a clean install. I have detailed pictures of this with our speaker How To in th enear future. Once you get it through the seat then run it up the center console. Pretty easy from the paoint.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Just to let you know, we ran the cable up the side of the car, but it was so tedious....very tedious.

I can email you all sort of dismantling pictures if you are interested. Email me at peter@rspeed.net and I'll send you some.

-peter/rspeed

Old 11-23-2002, 06:46 PM
roundy
Neutral
Hey,

Thanks for replying Peter. I'm in no hurry to do this install yet, so I'll wait for your rear speaker how-to. I'm planning to replace those too. :smile:

I did on some website (I think it may have been R-speeds) that the Blitzsafe will not work in Mini's with the Nav system. Do you know why this may be? I have the NAV system, but I don't see how that would interfere with either the Blitzsafe CD-Changer adapter or the MP3/AUX adapter. Please let me know if I'm missing something here.

Thanks!

Roundy

Old 11-23-2002, 06:56 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Oops...the text screw up in Step 6 was my fault (copy and paste error). It has been corrected. Thanks!

Mark

Old 01-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Carroll
1st Gear
Question: Would the Blitzsafe Mini Interface allow the connection of an auxilliary input (iPod) with the BMW CD Changer installed?

Old 01-22-2003, 10:27 AM
cbrady58
Neutral
I can't tell you how happy I am with the BlitzSafe installtion on my 2002 MC. The whole thing took 20 minutes to install and worked perfectly. I am using the Archos 15 GB MP3 Player/Recorder. So far have about 6 GB ripped and on the hard drive.

Old 02-21-2003, 03:20 PM
1moto
Neutral
I have a 2003 Cooper and was told that it came mp3 ready. The dealer can't tell me if it needs the blitzsafe adapter or if there is an aux input female jack at the back of the stock non-HK stereo. Has anyone installed the Blitzsafe into a 2003?

allotamini

Old 08-21-2003, 09:16 PM
jamiek
Neutral
Has anyone tried to plug the Blitzsafe straight into the back of the stereo of the mini. It seems like a pain to run it all the way from the back of the car. I am thinking that the wiring must run into the back of the stereo at some point, so it might be possible to just remove the deck plug the blitzsafe into the back and then you don't have to remove seats to run 9 feet of cable.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this?

BTW, even with the temp install of a cable strung over the back seats, the Blitzsafe works great....

Old 12-10-2003, 01:56 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
*Bump*

I was doin some searching, and I think this is probably something that a lot of people are lookin' for... I know I was...

Old 12-10-2003, 06:54 AM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
>>Has anyone tried to plug the Blitzsafe straight into the back of the stereo of the mini. It seems like a pain to run it all the way from the back of the car. I am thinking that the wiring must run into the back of the stereo at some point, so it might be possible to just remove the deck plug the blitzsafe into the back and then you don't have to remove seats to run 9 feet of cable.
>>
>>Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this?

**BUMP**
That was my precise question regarding the ICE-Link for theiPod (see different thread).

Old 12-21-2003, 10:47 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
What's the difference between the ICE-Link and the BlitzSafe? Do they do the same thing pretty much?

The BlitzSafe is half the price...