Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio H/K stereo re-wire questions

Old 09-18-2017, 02:28 PM
FuzzyManPeach
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H/K stereo re-wire questions

Hey, all. I'm looking to change the stock head unit of my 2010 JCW with the harman kardon system to something with a few more options and possibly better sound, but I don't want to lose any functionality. By functionality, I mean I don't want to use those black block-off plates for the computer system in the center speedo, and I've heard issues with diagnostics happen after removing the stock head unit and/or HK amp.

After googling around, it looks like I can hijack the speaker connections at the radio harness in the dash no problem, but I was wondering if I could retain functionality by leaving the stock stereo attached, either hiding away in the dash or relocating with a harness. I'm hoping to leave the stock system installed and intact, and just, basically, wire in a second head unit to be the one that actually powers the speakers.

Re-wiring in this manner would still be making use of the HK amplifier, which, after seeing so many stories of failure, I'm hesitant about, but it might be worth it to not have to run completely new wiring to every speaker. That sounds like a serious chore.

Does anyone know if this could work, or has anyone tried this? Also, I haven't looked behind the dash, does anyone know if there's room to fit the stock system tucked away somewhere?

Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 AM
FuzzyManPeach
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, nevermind. There's quite a bit of information on here about this exact thing, I just had to look a little harder. My mistake.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:04 PM
jiggersplat
2nd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I've got a factory H/K amp and an aftermarket head unit and no audio.

Search this Thread