Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Sirius and Bluetooth in R52 with HK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:15 PM
rdvnacmini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sirius and Bluetooth in R52 with HK?

I can bore you to tears with talk about waxes and glazes, and know enough about engines, transmissions and suspensions to be dangerous, but anything to do with electronics or wiring makes my head hurt.

So, I'm hoping somebody more knowledgable about these matters might be able to help me out.

I have an R52 with the HK system. To my untrained ears it sounds great, and I'd be happy to keep it just as it is--but I really want to have SiriusXM and Bluetooth, too.

What is the best way for me to accomplish this goal? Is buying the MINI Sirius receiver, which I assume interfaces with my existing HK system, a good idea? If I also added an Aux input, could I then get Bluetooth via an add-on product like Kinivo?

Or am I better off replacing the HK head unit with an aftermarket unit that has both Bluetooth and SiriusXM built in? If so, any specific recommendations (some of the threads I found are older and recommend units that are NLA)?

Any input appreciated.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Have you checked this area for info? Pretty sure there are some threads on how to add an Aux input.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 PM
rdvnacmini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Have you checked this area for info? Pretty sure there are some threads on how to add an Aux input.
You're right, there are plenty of threads on that, but I was asking something different (but not asking too clearly, I guess, sorry about that!).

What I'm wondering is, if I want to have both Bluetooth and SiriusXM in my car what is the best way to accomplish that?

1.) Add the OE Sirius receiver (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/65120439447/) to my existing HK system, then connect an aftermarket Bluetooth unit via the aux jack;

2.) Yank out the HK system and install a whole new aftermarket head unit with integrated Sirius and Bluetooth (think I'd need different wiring and/or adapters, especially if I wanted steering wheel controls to work, but not sure?);

3.) Some other way I don't know about.

Was just looking for some advice, as anything to do with wiring or electronics installation is not my strong suit. Hope this is a little more clear, and thanks for the reply.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:41 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
#1 is a viable option

#2 requires a lot of labor to run new speaker wires

#3 You can get use an aftermarket head unit with integrated Sirius and Bluetooth. To connect it to your HK system, you need an adapter called the HK Enabler, which is only available from a UK vendor: http://newministuff.com/hk-enabler-465-p.asp. The same vendor also sells adapters for aftermarket head units to integrate with the steering wheel controls (MFSW): http://newministuff.com/mfsw-multi-f...-gen-430-p.asp

Old 06-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You really can't just run a new HU with your HK speakers. HK is the bane of Mini owners who want better audio. The HK uses 2-ohm speakers, which don't work well with aftermarket options that push out 4-ohms (meaning, almost all of them). Further, the amp has a jillion wires going to and coming from it, so it's really, really confusing to use the existing wiring with new, non-HK components. Worse, the HK amp is a ticking bomb that will fail eventually, and used replacements aren't cheap. Some British guy named Mike was making HK amp adapter harnesses for aftermarket HUs - around $100, but he was constantly back-ordered so I have no idea how available those are now. All things considered, I pulled my entire HK system out and started from scratch.

I first tried an Audiovox "UniStreamOne" (what they're now called), which took care of the Bluetooth issue, but no Sirius. It also took up my OEM HU "aux" port. But add-on components and processors for Bluetooth and Sirius are a thing of the past. There are very affordable HUs available that have built-in SiriusXM, Bluetooth and steering wheel controls - some of which you'd need another module to install, but they're rather inexpensive. I think my Sirius module and antenna was only $35 and it dropped neatly behind, and plugged right into the rear of my (aftermarket) HU, but that's entirely different than the expensive Sirius/Mini interface.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:39 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by rdvnacmini
You're right, there are plenty of threads on that, but I was asking something different (but not asking too clearly, I guess, sorry about that!).

What I'm wondering is, if I want to have both Bluetooth and SiriusXM in my car what is the best way to accomplish that?

1.) Add the OE Sirius receiver (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/65120439447/) to my existing HK system, then connect an aftermarket Bluetooth unit via the aux jack;

2.) Yank out the HK system and install a whole new aftermarket head unit with integrated Sirius and Bluetooth (think I'd need different wiring and/or adapters, especially if I wanted steering wheel controls to work, but not sure?);

3.) Some other way I don't know about.

Was just looking for some advice, as anything to do with wiring or electronics installation is not my strong suit. Hope this is a little more clear, and thanks for the reply.
I have the HK system in my 06/R53. I purchased a used OE Sirius receiver from a user on NAM for $100. I've not had a chance to put it in yet, laundry list of things to do. I thought about Bluetooth,but I have an AUX input and I just plug my phone into it. My phone holder is a very sturdy unit that fits in the factory CD head unit; when I get a call, just push AUX on the head unit and accept the call. The phone sits close enough that I really don't need BT, and the call is playing through the car speakers. One of the reasons the Sirius radio is not a high priority to get installed is because of the MANY internet radio options, Pandora, Spotify. I basically wanted the SAT radio just to add a stock solution. I hear a few stories on how the HK system blows up, well I've not had that problem, I think this system is bad azz and I consider myself a snobby audiophile. Home system are Magnapan speakers/ Classe CAM350 Monoblock amps, I know a lil bit about good sounding audio, garbage in, garbage out. If you have a good source, that system will not let you down in sound reproduction, meaning, don't judge the system by how the radio sounds.Hope this helped you a bit with your choice. may the force be with you....

Old 06-21-2017, 11:54 AM
rdvnacmini
1st Gear
Thanks guys, some really good feedback here.

gumbedamit, you make two really good points about the small size of the Mini cockpit making Bluetooth more optional than mandatory, and the many internet radio options that could replace SiriusXM. I guess I want SiriusXM and BT as much out of habit as need, but I'm pretty addicted to the Grateful Dead channel and 80s on 8, and I like leaving my phone in my pocket or pack when I can. So, I think I do want both those options.

When I started looking into all this I was pretty determined to somehow add these features to my stock system, but after lots of research I think I've changed my mind. I think probably the best way to get the modern features and performance I'm after is to install an aftermarket unit.

If I do that, the only question is whether to add an HK enabler and MFSW adapter from newministuff (thanks rkw!) or pull out everything and start over, like Filmy did. Anytime I touch wiring things go bad quickly, and the one buddy who could've helped me with a project like this now lives 1,000 miles away, so I'm going to have a pro tackle it. Not sure if there are any audio installers around here who've done a ton first-gen Minis, so if anybody knows any "gotchas" when installing a new system in our cars, please let me know.

I was all set to get the JVC KD-AV41BT, but I just discovered it is not sat radio ready. Ugh. I'm going to keep hunting for an aftermarket unit. I've seen some YT videos of 6" touchscreen units with CarPlay installed in our cars, and I'd love that, but I think installing those must involve sliding the HVAC and window controls down the downtubes, which seems pretty involved (and expensive).

One final thought, as this might help others who find this thread at some later date. I found a super informative thread that gives all sorts of details on the original Mini BT system that could be dealer-installed on our cars, including a pushbutton phone answer module and a phone cradle that could be added to the center console. It's not for me because I think most of the parts are very expensive or NLA, and at this point it's pretty old tech. For anyone determined to stay period-correct OEM though, and might not be aware of the thread, here it is: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...etrofit-5.html

Thanks again, and further opinions welcome!

Last edited by rdvnacmini; 06-21-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo