Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio New Nav unit in my MCS09???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Monstermash
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Nav unit in my MCS09???

Hey guys!

So..... I'm new here. And, new to the world of Mini's. I just bought an 09 "S" model and I really wish it had a factory Navigation unit in her. So my question is...... can the newer navi units (from a MY2012) swap in without much fanfare or is there more than meets the eye with these things?

I have a background in car audio. I built several championship competition cars back in the days of IASCA, USAC, and SLAP. I can do the custom stuff (fiberglass etc) without much of an issue but I have been out of the game for about 10 years or so, so I'm not versed in whats what any more with the newer vehicles. Back in the day, stuff like this was pretty straight forward but now with can-bus, and other changes it's hard to know if I can just buy the newer style radio with the nav and throw it at the dash.

In case anyone is wondering why I would choose to go the factory route it's pretty simple.... I like the way the factory audio system looks in the newer models. I do plan on adding a subwoofer, complete upgraded front stage and all the stuff that goes with it but I would like the base to be the factory radio.

So a long question for a short answer I'm sure. Does the newer nav style radio just swap in plug and play?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll be sure to start a build thread once I get started with the custom stuff!

Old 06-24-2017, 05:08 PM
ChuckinNC
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to do this also in my 2009 Clubman S.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Monstermash
Does the newer nav style radio just swap in plug and play?
No.

This is what's involved: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-to-guide.html (many links are broken in the thread. Use this in place of links to spaghetticoder and bmw-planet)