Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio repair steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:00 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
repair steering wheel controls

My car had an aftermarket system installed by a previous owner. They apparently had a steering wheel control module as well. The problem is that when they removed their radio and control module, they did not repair the wiring so the steering wheel controls do not work. I would like to fix that.

There is a yellow wire that has been cut and is currently hanging down from the steering column, not attached to anything. I assume that is at least one of the problems. Since I have never used a steering wheel control adapter, I don't know if that's the only wire that would have been cut or if others would have as well.

Any insight on this is appreciated!

Old 04-10-2017, 03:52 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
I guess I'll document my learning process for future searchers.

I pulled down the knee panel and removed the underside cover of the steering column. This is what I found:

I did not find any other cut wires in the steering column harness. So, I have reattached the two factory wire ends (using a piece of that yellow wire) and buttoned everything back up.

Tomorrow I will remove my aftermarket radio, reinstall the factory radio and see if the controls work.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:17 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Update. Simply reconnecting the cut wire did not result in working steering wheel controls.

Not sure where to go next...

Update 2. I can be really dense at times. The steering wheel controls only work when the key is in the "ON" position. I was doing my testing with the key in the "OFF" position and just the radio on.

Start the car and the controls work. Amazing!

Last edited by KevinR; 04-11-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Solution
Old 04-15-2017, 12:41 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Since it's an aftermarket HU did they install an HK enabler/MFSW adapter? Not sure if you have the HK but I know you have to have MFSW adapter in order to keep the steering wheel stereo controls. Just a thought... Any one else?

NewMINIStuff over in the UK is the main supplier of these units. Again I don't know for sure if it's necessary without the HK system.

Hopefully that can get you pointed in the right direction.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:21 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
No H-K in my car; just the basic stereo. The previous owner removed the aftermarket head unit and the steering wheel control adapter, but left the JL Audio speakers in the doors and side panels.