Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Stereo chime test and then low volume?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Phatfrets
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo chime test and then low volume?

Hello everyone. I have a problem I haven't found on the forums yet. I have a 2008 R56 Cooper S hatchback with the HK stereo system, no bluetooth, no navigation or any other tech upgrades otherwise. The car is stock. I always have my radio on, and it was on when I started the car this morning. I drove to the store, got out of the store and started my car again, but something funny happened. I received multiple chimes in different tones, as if it was a stereo system check, then my cd player began to operate but at low volume with some white noise, seemingly only coming from the front passenger side speakers. I changed to FM and received nothing but the white noise. Turned the car off, removed the fob. Put it back in, started up, same thing; varied tones followed by hiss and low volume playback from the cd player.

I can only guess this is one of 4 things: Amp problem, stereo head problem, battery issue, or a whole lot of dead speakers. Any thoughts? I've had far too much go wrong with this car to bring it to a dealership again, so I'm just hoping these tones have a clear meaning so I can get right to the heart of it. I appreciate any help and advice if you can point me in a direction for parts in NJ.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Did you try a good, old-fashioned reboot? Disconnect the battery, leave it for a minute or two, then reconnect.

I had some weird static once, and a battery disconnect/reconnect solved it. Good luck!

-Paul

Old 02-24-2019, 05:23 PM
Cslendeb
Neutral
Did you ever find a solution?