Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio iPod and Aux Input on HK

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Nando
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod and Aux Input on HK

Hi Guys,
I have the Aux Input on my MINI with the HK system. When I plug my Ipod into it (with the volume on the Ipod all the way up) and the volume on the HK all the way up, the sound from the speakers in nowhere near as loud as the CD player or Radio at lower volumes. In fact I think I had the voulme on the HK maxed out and the output was dismal.

Has anyone encountered this? Is there a malfunction? What gives.... I am not looking for ear splitting volume, this is far from it. It is grandma listening level

Thanks,
Nando

Old 07-19-2004, 01:56 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
aux

Whats your aux setting at on the HK head unit. I have mine set at 6

Old 07-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nando
Hi Guys,
I have the Aux Input on my MINI with the HK system. When I plug my Ipod into it (with the volume on the Ipod all the way up) and the volume on the HK all the way up, the sound from the speakers in nowhere near as loud as the CD player or Radio at lower volumes. In fact I think I had the voulme on the HK maxed out and the output was dismal.

Has anyone encountered this? Is there a malfunction? What gives.... I am not looking for ear splitting volume, this is far from it. It is grandma listening level

Thanks,
Nando
You can "boost" the songs themselves. If you're in iTunes, do a CTRL-i to get song info, and go to the Options tab. Then move the Volume adjustment slider to the right. I find that if I go to 2 notches before 100% (~75-80%) and I leave my AUX input level at 3, it sounds fine. Note that you can "batch" songs for this operation.

Also, what are you plugging your iPod in to before your AUX input? If you're going from the headphone controller, then your sound level is attenuated for headphones and will not be as loud nor as "clean". You'll want to mosey over to PC Connection and get the Belkin car adapter. This has a powered line out which is akin to the desktop stand that Apple ships w/ the iPod -- it's a much cleaner and stronger signal. I have my Belkin dialed at ~1/2 output level along w/ the changes above and I love it.

And, it charges your iPod whilst plugged in. Another US$50, but de rigeur....

Old 07-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Nando
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 20cooper04
Whats your aux setting at on the HK head unit. I have mine set at 6
I did not know the Aux had a setting. This is probably the reason. How do I change it? I going to the car right now and see.

Thanks,
Nando

Old 07-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Using the tone ('note') button, tap through the settings until you find the Aux Lev entry, then rotate the **** till you get to 4 or 5, one or the other should match the volume nicely.