Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio 05 MCS Cabrio with H/K Head Unit Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Gregory.Peck
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 MCS Cabrio with H/K Head Unit Upgrade

Hey fellow motorers, this is my first post here so bear with me. I tried searching for this, but didn't find anything specific for my case.

I just got a 05 R52 and between the manual shifting and the noisy top, the stock stereo would be much better if I could make calls thru it, so I'm looking for upgrades.
Now I do have the HK system and from what I've googled I would need to get this expensive cable to bypass the HK system if I wanna to install an aftermarket stereo with all the goodies that I want built-in. I also read somewhere that I would have to run the wires to every single speaker.

So what are my options? I would prefer a new head unit with everything built-in, but if it will be that much of a hassle I would rather install this instead: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...the_radio.html

Thanks motorers.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Gregory.Peck
Neutral
Am I in the water here, or did I post this in the wrong place?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:23 AM
gpskipton
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have not done this, but I believe you just need to buy an hk enabler. It is sold by a company oversees but is easy to order. They make them in batches so you just need to get on the list if they don't have any available right now. It goes between your new head unit and the hk amp. I think it is all you need to make the hk with with a new hu. You will also need the adaptors to make the steering wheel buttons work. I think those are on Amazon. I want to do this eventually. I think the enabler company is newministuff or something like that. Sometimes they come up used in the marketplace here.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:29 AM
gpskipton
3rd Gear
If you want a cheaper solution then you could just buy a parrot solution. I think you can make it work with the steering buttons. It just would not be integrated with the stereo.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregory.Peck
Hey fellow motorers, this is my first post here so bear with me. I tried searching for this, but didn't find anything specific for my case.

I just got a 05 R52 and between the manual shifting and the noisy top, the stock stereo would be much better if I could make calls thru it, so I'm looking for upgrades.
Now I do have the HK system and from what I've googled I would need to get this expensive cable to bypass the HK system if I wanna to install an aftermarket stereo with all the goodies that I want built-in. I also read somewhere that I would have to run the wires to every single speaker.

So what are my options? I would prefer a new head unit with everything built-in, but if it will be that much of a hassle I would rather install this instead: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...the_radio.html

Thanks motorers.
I recently purchased and R52 and this is the route I'm going. I'm just wondering if I can connect Sirius to it. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Docraja
Neutral
Looking for a repleacement Radio Head Unit

Does anyone know what the part number would be for the Radio unit in my 06 R52?
It has the speakers marked with Harmon Kardon on it.
And the radio unit has two buttons for left and right next to the CD insert and for ejecting the CD.
I can't seem to find a replacement for it this unit.

Also, would any other OEM unit fit in as a replacement?

Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM
gpskipton
3rd Gear
I think there are a bunch on ebay. I believe the units are made by alpine. You may have the boost stereo.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:49 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Yes, the head units are interchangeable. Note that prior to August 2003, they don't support the Aux-in function.