Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio stealthbox in a Cooper (not an S)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 07:58 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
stealthbox in a Cooper (not an S)

I want to put a stealthbox in my Cooper, but I'm wondering about access to the toolkit / spare with the stealthbox in there. Reading the instructions from the JL site, they talk about removing the tool pouch from the driver's side cubby hole... is that the way Cooper S's are? I have no tool kit in the cubby... the whole carpeted floor of my boot lifts up, and the toolkit is under there. There's no mention of preserving access to the toolkit under the floor of the boot in the instructions.

Am I headed towards a problem? Will the installer be able to cut the lift up floor so that it can still be opened? Will the stealthbox be far enough over to the side to allow easy access to the toolkit?

Old 07-06-2004, 01:14 PM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the driver side cubby hole there should of been a small pack of tools seperate from the tools underneath the floor.

When you do install the stealth box, you will have to take it out to get to the tools under the floor.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:09 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Cant you just remove the stealth box easily to get to the tools?

Old 07-07-2004, 07:37 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjamini
Cant you just remove the stealth box easily to get to the tools?
That's what I assumed... When I was still in the pre-ordering phase, I asked the installer how difficult it would be to remove the stealthbox once it was installed. He said they were usually more or less permanent. But, this guy had noever seen a MINI stealthbox in person, so the MINI one could be different.

That's why I was asking if anyone actually knew instead of guessed.

I'll let people know on Friday when I get things installed. Of course, since the box is at the shop now, I guess I could stop by sooner to take a look at it, if I feel like being annoying, that is.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:49 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
I've got one so I can tell you for sure how it works:

The StealthBox mounts with 2 bolts that are underneath the drivers side rear seatback. To remove the StealthBox, you have to do the following:

1) Fold both rear seatbacks down
2) Loosen the center retaining bolt/clip until you can release the seatbacks
3) Remove the driver's side rear seatback
4) Remove 2 bolts that hold the front of the StealthBox secure
5) The rear of the Stealthbox is attached with a hook to an existing metal loop (maybe intended for a cargo net) and will easily slip out.

This only takes about 5 minutes once you know how to do it, but is not something I would want to do on the side of the road while broken down.
One of the bolts is a Torx head.

You can't really access the tool pocket on the driver's side with the StealthBox in place.

BTW, if anybody else is looking for a StealthBox, I might be selling mine so let me know -- PM will work.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
BigBrown,

Do you have pics of what the stealth box looks like? What sized sub comes in it? What do you think of it? Why are you thinking of selling it?

Old 07-07-2004, 08:17 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
I've got one picture of it installed, here's a link to my gallery -

MINIstuff Gallery

It has a JL 10W3 Sub installed, and I think it's great. My problem is really twofold:

1) It does take up about 25% of the boot space, and sometimes I need it all.
2) Having a MCS, the battery is under the boot floor. I have had a couple occasions (1 at the dealer) where the StealthBox had to be removed to access the battery. I could cut the boot floor to solve that problem, but since I'm thinking of selling the StealthBox, I probably won't.

Really, for me it is overkill. I didn't realize just how much bass this thing would pump out, and it's more than I need.

If you're interested, let me know and we can talk further about it.