Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio iPod cable question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 11:04 PM
miniotto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod cable question

I was just wondering if the aux cable will work with any mp3 players or MD players or anything else that has a audio output jack?

Old 06-21-2004, 11:14 PM
rg
3rd Gear
if you're talking about the just today intro'd iPod connector, the answer is no. This new cable is more of a dock, that will only work with the iPod connection.

Old 06-22-2004, 03:57 AM
boognish
4th Gear
Dealer-installed iPod aux jack

Just yesterday, I had the broken HK Amplifier replaced by the dealer (2003 MINI Cooper, May 2003 build). While they had the head unit/amp out for inspection/testing, I said "go ahead and install the iPod aux jack". So they did, and they put it in the glove compartment (I asked if they'd just leave it hanging so I could put it somewhere else but they said no).

Anyway, it's fine in the glove compartment, but what I want to know is, won't the iPod cord get crimped everytime I shut the glove compartment door? I'm going to just pot the iPod in one of the cup holders for now...so the cord will have to come out of the glove compartment... I asked the dealer and they said "we've installed dozens of iPod connectors in the glove box, and no one has complained about a crimped/broken wire from shutting the glove box door on it...

Thanks and rock on,

-boognish

PS- will the dealer-installed aux jack accept other MP3 players with the same 1/16" jack? Or am I stuck with the just Apple's iPod?

Old 06-22-2004, 05:13 AM
acetonic
4th Gear
Don't confuse the iPod connecter, which was just announced and not yet available, with the aux jack. The aux jack will work with anything that has the 1/8th inch headphone plug, iPod, walkman, portable karaoke machine etc. The iPod adapter will only work with the iPod and actually interfaces with the head unit to let you have (very limited) control over the iPod. It appears that the iPod adapter lets you have 5 playlists show up as CD's in the CD changer. I think you may be better off with just the aux jack if you have a lot of playlists.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:09 PM
boognish
4th Gear
Thanks acetonic! So are you saying it was actually a good thing I had the aux adaptor installed by my dealer, instead of the new Apple-manufactured iPod-only connector?

But what I want to know is (since I don't yet own an ipod/mp3 player) is...won't closing the glove compartment impinge upon the mp3 player cable...or did MINI leave some space between the closed glove compartment for the cable to "rest" without getting crimped? I just think it odd that they (MINI) decided to install the ipod aux input in the glove compartment.

thanks and rock on,

-boognish

Old 06-22-2004, 05:21 PM
rg
3rd Gear
I think i get what your getting at! the idea is that the mp3 player stays in the glove box, not outside the glove box. so with the cable and the player both inside there's no problem with the cable. does that help?

Old 06-22-2004, 08:54 PM
wmba
3rd Gear
I have the aux input in the glove box. I have not had any problems with the glove box door crimping the audio cable I picked up at radio shack. The door closes normally... so it seems that there is ample space for the cable. I don't think you will have any problems.