Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Navigation install

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 06:03 PM
KWMSeattleU
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation install

I've been searching for a used MCS for a long time. Not really looking to buy new becuase of the long wait times. I've been having trouble with my used search because I'm really specific about which options I want on the car. I am looking for all 3 packages (plus a color combo I like) and navigation, and I am finding the DVD navigation to be rare.

Question: If I buy a used MCS with all 3 packages (premium, sport, cold weather), can the local Mini dealership install the DVD navigation for me? If so, any ideas about how much that might cost (especially labor)?

Before anyone flames me: I like gadgets and really want the navigation for the car. I can justify the costs.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-06-2004, 06:56 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KWMSeattleU
Question: If I buy a used MCS with all 3 packages (premium, sport, cold weather), can the local Mini dealership install the DVD navigation for me? If so, any ideas about how much that might cost (especially labor)?
No, they can't, it is not a retrofittable option. Part of the reason you are having issues finding used vehicles with DVD navigation is because the DVD systems were only delivered in March '03 build vehicles. Prior to that it was a CD based system.

Old 06-06-2004, 07:27 PM
KWMSeattleU
Neutral
Thanks for the quick reply. On the CD-based navigation units, do you need a different CD for each big metropolitan area or something? Is the amount of map storage space the only difference between the CD and DVD systems? Any help is greatly appreciated! :smile:

Kyle

Old 06-06-2004, 07:35 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KWMSeattleU
Thanks for the quick reply. On the CD-based navigation units, do you need a different CD for each big metropolitan area or something? Is the amount of map storage space the only difference between the CD and DVD systems? Any help is greatly appreciated! :smile:

Kyle
Unfortunately the CD are for regions and not for the entire country, only the DVD's offer nationwide coverage. The mapping data comes from NavTech details are here http://www.navteq.com/UserOrdersServ...=18&useNewCL=Y

Last edited by mbabischkin; 06-07-2004 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 06-06-2004, 10:24 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Aftermarket GPS system is a good alternative, which offers more features and allow other usage of the monitor, like DVD, TV, rear camera, etc... In the US, DVD-based system is available from Kenwood, Alpine, and Pioneer.

Last edited by dcsmd007; 06-06-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
one aftermarket system that is particularly interesting to me right now is the top of the range Pioneer system. DVD based nav, movies, motorized touch screen, g-force functions, XM radio, MP3, etc.... retails for about $2000 but I see it on ebay for around $1500. That is right in line with what you'd spend on getting the factory nav ordered on a new car, and with MUCH more in the package.

If I had the money free right now I'd jump on it....

That headunit, with Polk MOMO speakers throughout, and my Soundstream Reference 705s amp.... now THAT would be a killer system.

Guess I need to put the Uzi up for sale....

Old 06-07-2004, 06:19 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Kw 915

I have used all of the navs out there and I would suggest the Kenwood 915 w/nav. Its the best:

:smile: touchscreen
:smile: great menus
:smile: The bast navigation around using every feature and the fastest processing time (when you click a menu there is no delay)
:smile: It also has a voice controll option for $100. Say "Pizza, ATM or Joes house" and it takes you to Pizza, ATM or joes house.
:smile: Sirius Radio Ready Will only cost you $50 for hardware and its the Best!
:smile: 915 has it all built into one tuner (except nav which is an option)
:smile: So much more
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: