Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Which brand of speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 01:01 PM
MiniPoo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking into replacing the stock speakers with components for the front and some 6x9s for the rear. From what I've been reading, it seems like a new headunit and amp should accompany the new speakers. I don't have an unlimited budget for my sound system but I don't want to skimp on anything either. Some brands I saw mentioned that I'm interested in: MB Quarts, Jl audio, Focal, Polk and Infinity Kappa. Which ones are EXCELLENT for the money? As I mentioned earlier, I don't want to skimp on anything. I definitely want an amp for the new speakers but is a new headunit neccessary? Which Headunit do you all suggest? Oh, and I was looking into the JL amps. What is the difference between those and the cheaper ones I can find at Best Buy or something. Thank you.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:36 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I believe the Infinity Kappas are the least expensive ones in your list. So even though they may not be the best in the list, they're probably the best bang for your buck.

I think mine sound pretty good.

Old 03-27-2004, 01:51 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
I don't think anyone here would argue that Focals are one of the top brands. A component distributer, Zalytron puts together some good sets for a reasonable amount. As well as selling all standard Focal models for way below list. Check them out here. I'm fairly certain it's the direction I'm going (unless I can find a source for Morel car audio.)

Old 03-30-2004, 11:23 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
The best way to determine what might arouse your auditory pleasure is to bring your favorite CD to the local stereo shops to personally sample different equipment setups. Speaker selection is rather subjective, which may vary depending on various music types. An important question you have to ask yourself is what do you want to achieve ultimately, SQ (Sound Quality) and/or SPL (Sound Pressure Level)? A perfect system for one might not necessarily mean the same for another. I usually prepare a list of objectives and have a price range in mind before I begin my shopping spree. :smile: