Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Stereo upgrade - Difference between R55 and R56

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM
kookmyers
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo upgrade - Difference between R55 and R56

Hello everyone. I am currently planning to upgrade the HK stereo in my 2011 Cooper Clubman. I am trying to get as much information as possible before i start ordering components and tearing the car apart.
I previously upgraded the HiFi stereo in my 2007 Cooper S. The amplifier was in the rear left panel in the boot and the wire loom that ran to it was correspondingly on the left side. I installed an amp under the driver seat in the space occupied by a piece of foam. The space under the passenger seat was occupied by some module. I installed a signal converter to the front speaker inputs to the amp by cutting the wires in the loom under the kick plate. This worked out because i added a 4ch amp to drive new speakers in the front and a sub in the back. Now, i only want a sub.

In the Clubman, I read that the HK amp is in the boot on the left side. I have also read that there could possibly be a module or two under the drivers seat depending on the installed options.

To clarify my questions:
1. Where is the HK amp in the Clubman?
2. Where does the wire loom from the head unit run?
3. What possible modules are under the drivers seat? I have the convenience package, SAT radio, no Nav.
4. Can i add a signal converter (such as the MTX ReQ) to the front speaker lines (before the amp) by just tapping into the wire and not breaking the chain to the amp? Imagine a "T".
5. Is there room for another amp in the boot in the opposite side of the HK amp?

Now I just need to decide of i should buy a mono amp for the sub or a multi channel amp for a sub AND new front speakers...
Thanks!

Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Unless they have changed it for the 2011 cars the clubman amp is on the passenger side rear. depending on the new amp size it may or may not fit on the drivers side rear.

As for under the seat you will have to look they have moved a few modules around and also depending on the amp size as ti if it will fit with the other modules there.

As you have SAT radio there will not be any room under the passenger seat. so that is out of the question.

As for single or multi channel amp it all depends on if you like the sound of the HK if it only had a little more bass. Only you can decide that.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kookmyers
3. What possible modules are under the drivers seat? I have the convenience package, SAT radio, no Nav.
As long as they didn't move them for the LCI 11+, the bluetooth module is the only thing under the driver seat.

5. Is there room for another amp in the boot in the opposite side of the HK amp?
That location is where the IBOC (HD Radio), and I *THINK* that is now standard in 2011. So I would imagine it would be tight for space.

Like mentioned before, the passenger seat has the SAT tuner and the DSC module under it.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 AM
kookmyers
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General forum question: is it rude of me to not respond when someone answers my questions? I tend to hate reading the posts that just say, "Thank You!"

Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
it seems to be either way here. but I for one like to see some kind of response as that way the people that have answered you know you understand or have come back to check on the answers. Many times though there are other questions or hey that help great comments.

But it is up to you.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
General forum question: is it rude of me to not respond when someone answers my questions? I tend to hate reading the posts that just say, "Thank You!"
Depends, if you took time out of your day to help someone and they just walked away, would you be inclined to help again? strobeyprobey and schatzy62 are escaped compulsive-helper disorder patients. A thank you is only proper. If not worthy in this thread, in the others where they have helped.

Anyhow, I digress. I came here with the IBOC keyword and may update the stereo in the future. How'd your upgrade go? As a board reader, nothing is more frustrating than knowing someone has done the project before you and not documented it. By the time it comes up again, they have forgotten the subtle nuances that made the project go smoothly.