Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Official MINI Connected Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruinjustin
I guess it was "not good" reference to show you as far as "office function on Mini Connected" goes. However, when you read the manual (2011 with Mini connected) that came with the vehicle, it clearly explain about functionalities of Office in Mini Connected (Calendar, Text, notes, etc) and also tell you how to use those functions.

it is just "Not available" yet. It is NOT wishful thinking nor getting some idea from elsewhere.
Now I must say that I do not have a copy of the "Manual" you have.

But here is a link to the "Official Manual" for MINI Connected and it is exactly the same as the printed copy that a friend got with her car, and there is not a single mention of "Office" in the manual.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/data/500/owners_handbook_EN.pdf

So all I have to go on is a printed copy and a PDF copy that are exactly the same and are the official release from MINI. Along with the fact that I have never seen or heard any thing about MINI Connected supporting Office.

If you have something different please show us.

Edit: also MINI's Official Website for Connected is here http://www2.mini.com/connectivity/ also does not say anything about Office

Last edited by schatzy62; 02-18-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Upon some further investigation I have found some more information.

"Office" Connectivity is NOT part of MINI Connected and is only supported on a few phones.

Also from what I can gather (no one is willing to make an official statement) but this functionality may may not be available in the USA yet due to government regulations.

From what I can find this functionality is available in other countries, but requires a phone other than an iPhone so you can not use MINI Connected and the Office functions from the same phone.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Just a few other notes for people following this thread.

Here is a quote from a person in England about the Sanp In Adapter and it's limitations.

The adapter recognises the iPhone and plays audio however it will only play from playlists. The USB cable gives the option to search on artist, album, genre etc but the 117.00 (pounds) adapter does not.

The adapter does not support video playback either which means that you need a video cable as well as the adapter to make use of all features.
I have also read similar info from a person in Holland having the same problem.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Bruinjustin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have something different please show us.
Per request, Here it is...
Since I don't have time to type out all of them in the manual, I took a snap photo shots. Hope you all find it useful. (For 2011 mini owners, it is all there in the manual.. so just help yourself~!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruinju...7626070627398/

Old 02-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link is not working :(

Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Old 02-18-2011, 05:21 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE

Thanks for posting this. Not trying to get into a argument here but I see a few things to note.

1. This is in the Car Owners Manual not in the MINI Connected Manual and as such means that it is NOT part of MINI Connected.

2. There is a BIG asterisk (*) next to the word OFFICE in the manual. This mean that there is some sort of notes about its compatibility with the vehicle. You will notice that the manual will cover other options that are also not in you car and many of those will have Asterisks nest to them as well.

3. On the first page of the description, paragraph 2 it says to go to http://www.mini.com/connectivity to see what phone are features are available.

4. I found by going to the MINI Connectivity site that it will tell you by VIN number what phones will work with your car. Unfortunately i did not have a VIN number available to me to see what it would display but I did find that some one else has checked and found this.
Originally Posted by lhigham2317
I checked compatibility on www.mini.com/connectivity

4 phones on AT&T are compatible with the office function

RIM/Blackberry Pearl 3G 9100
Sony Ericsson W350a
Sony Ericsson W518a
Sony Ericsson W760a

(iphone was not listed)

Nothing showing available for Sprint network
5. And as it is not part of MINI Connected then it would not be accessed thru MINI Connected. It would be accessed thru another function that will display on the screen if the proper phone is connected to the car via bluetooth.

So my suggestion to you is to go to the site and see what it says is available for your car.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM
azOrange
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Thanks for posting this. Not trying to get into a argument here but I see a few things to note.

1. This is in the Car Owners Manual not in the MINI Connected Manual and as such means that it is NOT part of MINI Connected.

2. There is a BIG asterisk (*) next to the word OFFICE in the manual. This mean that there is some sort of notes about its compatibility with the vehicle. You will notice that the manual will cover other options that are also not in you car and many of those will have Asterisks nest to them as well.

3. On the first page of the description, paragraph 2 it says to go to http://www.mini.com/connectivity to see what phone are features are available.

4. I found by going to the MINI Connectivity site that it will tell you by VIN number what phones will work with your car. Unfortunately i did not have a VIN number available to me to see what it would display but I did find that some one else has checked and found this.

5. And as it is not part of MINI Connected then it would not be accessed thru MINI Connected. It would be accessed thru another function that will display on the screen if the proper phone is connected to the car via bluetooth.

So my suggestion to you is to go to the site and see what it says is available for your car.
As a fellow Mini Connected owner, I have the same impression. The fact that the main screen has both 'Office' and 'Mini Connected' icons is further evidence that 'Office' & 'Mini Connected' are considered separate functions.

It appears to me that the 'Office' function is specifically tied to Bluetooth. I have a Nexus One and can also see my contacts from the 'Office' menu via a Bluetooth connection, but nothing else.

Somewhere in my early research, perhaps in the manual, I recall as statement about a particular version of the Bluetooth protocol being required for the 'Office' functionality above & beyond just contacts. I don't have my manual with me or I would look it up.

Since I don't have an iPhone, I'm really curious as to how much I have gained by having Nav+Mini Connected over someone that has only Nav + Comfort Bluetooth. It seems that there might have been some significant upgrades to the Bluetooth module over last year's model, but not having knowledge of last year's model I can't say for sure that this is the case.

Thoughts ?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 AM
azOrange
2nd Gear
One more example that the Office functions are tied to Bluetooth. I just ran an example from the Bluetooth compatibility section at http://www.mini.com/connectivity/. My guess is the SMS, calendar, etc. are coming with future phones/software upgrades.

Attached Thumbnails Official MINI Connected Thread-bluetooth.jpg  

Last edited by azOrange; 02-18-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: accidentally posted in too much info.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by azOrange
One more example that the Office functions are tied to Bluetooth. I just ran an example from the Bluetooth compatibility section at http://www.mini.com/connectivity/. My guess is the SMS, calendar, etc. are coming with future phones/software upgrades.
It may require the MAP (Message Access Profile) to be able to transfer messages, e-mails, text, etc.

I have looked up the phones listed by someone else as being compatible but he has not listed what the overall compatibility is so there is no way of knowing what parts of the Office setup are compatible. But the only phone on his list that had MAP was the Blackberry Pearl 3G 9100..

Now i have heard that the BMW is Office Set up is ONLY FULLY usable by the Blackberry Torch. So I would summarize that is probably the case with the MINI as well.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
cheswick
1st Gear
Originally Posted by phantasms
Thank you!!

And the word on mission control?

I was purusing the mini.ca website and in the accessories it has an option for mission control listed. 1.5 hours install time. I'm assuming this is for models without mini connected though. Not sure if it differs...

Old 02-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Bruinjustin
2nd Gear
when we refer to "Mini Connected", are we referring to "Mini Connected" Function with the iphone or "Mini Connected" Option that you pay $1000 as you order your mini?

When I was referring to "Mini Connected", I was referring to the whole option that you pay $1000 when I ordered mine in. Because the description of the option said "Mini Connected". Not "Visual Boost" nor something else.

And I think (correct me if I am wrong) unless you choose the "Mini Connected" option, you don't get the screen that will let you control the office in the mini connected as well. so It was fair to assume that the "Office" is part of the Mini Connected option.

So bottom line, you dont have "office" Function unless you choose to get $1000 "Mini Connected" option on your mini.

please let me know you get Office function without getting "ini Connected".

Old 02-18-2011, 03:15 PM
azOrange
2nd Gear
when we refer to "Mini Connected", are we referring to "Mini Connected" Function with the iphone or "Mini Connected" Option that you pay $1000 as you order your mini?
That's kind of what I was referring to when I asked how much more I was getting having ordered the option, over someone that might have ordered "Nav + Comfort Bluetooth with smartphone prep". Does anyone know for a fact that someone ordering "Nav + Comfort Bluetooth with smartphone prep" doesn't have the office icon ? It seems odd to me that they wouldn't.

Regardless, it's a bit of a mute point for us. I think all that matters is that the office functionality is tied to the Bluetooth protocol, while the Pandora/Twitter/Facebook/other plug-in apps are via the USB/audio-in connector, and NOT Bluetooth.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Bruinjustin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by azOrange
That's kind of what I was referring to when I asked how much more I was getting having ordered the option, over someone that might have ordered "Nav + Comfort Bluetooth with smartphone prep". Does anyone know for a fact that someone ordering "Nav + Comfort Bluetooth with smartphone prep" doesn't have the office icon ? It seems odd to me that they wouldn't.

Regardless, it's a bit of a mute point for us. I think all that matters is that the office functionality is tied to the Bluetooth protocol, while the Pandora/Twitter/Facebook/other plug-in apps are via the USB/audio-in connector, and NOT Bluetooth.
As far as I know, if you order NAV on 2011 Mini, "Mini Connected" and "Bluetooth Smartphone prep" is included in that price.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:36 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Bruinjustin and azOrange

There are 4 different set of options at play here.

1. No Video Screen - you get a large speedo and no screen in the speedo, just the Boost Radio system of which there are three options available, Base or Harman Kardon

2. Visual Boost - You get a screen but no navigation and no MINI Connected and "Office" is part of that. This option is not available in the USA but can be ordered just about everywhere else in the world.

3. Mini Connected with out Navigation - you get MINI Connected with this Option. But as it also includes the screen you get all the other functions that are associated with the Visual Boost system. Cost $1000 plus $250 for the arm rest.

4. Navigation - automatically gives you MINI Connected and all the options that come along with Visual Boost. Cost $1750 Plus $250 for the arm rest

There are many options in MINI's that in other countries are ordered separately but come as standard options in the USA one that comes to mind is the Mood Lighting, in the clubman the Flat Floor Option is standard but in Canada it is not and would have to be ordered to be able to get it. then there are options in European cars that CAN NOT be ordered for USA/Canadian/ Mexican cars.

So just because something is there in the car does not mean that it is actually part of a particular option. It just comes standard with other possible options.

There there are other models of MINI's that are not even available here in North America, like the MINI First, MINI One and MINI Copper D because they do not pass the strict safety or environmental laws here is the US can Canada.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM
shoe
1st Gear
Cable ?

My mcs vert with connected will be here @ 3/10/11, what cables should the car come with and what do I need to buy to use a Ipod and Iphone4. Thanks

Old 02-20-2011, 03:03 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
It will come with a Y-cable. That's all you need.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:55 AM
mikegemma
Neutral
So I have a 2011 MCS with just about everything.....I did some research here and other places to try and find the new Cradle for the iPhone 4, it seems it's out in Europe, but our American deals can order it too, you just have to give them the part number. If you ask them about the iPhone 4 Cradle they will tell you it's not out yet.

Like schatzy62 said the part you need is 84-21-2-186-288, I ordered the part and it should be here in a week or so, I'll re-post here then to let you know how it works

Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I just read that there are now some even newer adapters available for MINI Connected and iPhone 4.

Can MINI/BMW make this any more confusing.

Basic: Only charges. Part-number: 84212199389
Music: Only players music (no cover art support). Part-number: 84212199390
Media: Shows coverart and plays video. Part-number: 84212199392

This now changes the 84-21-2-186-288 to be for iPhone 3gs only. and if that can play video or not I do not know.

mikegemma - have you gotten your adapter yet?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Where do you put these part numbers at to order them?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Cosmic Blue Conspiracy
2nd Gear
Two issues: The music interface continues to baffle. If you play the iPhone though the Connected plug-in, there is no place to view a clock in the entire car! If you are not careful, you then switch to the USB connection way of playing the iPod.

Nav is crazy. One problem is that it sends me weird routes often. Second, I can't seem to find a way to view a directions list so I have no idea what the next step is in my route. Am I missing something?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:01 PM
mjnewham
1st Gear
Ok, I'm in the UK and getting mixed answers.. now I am confused!!

Dealers say that Mini Connected cannot be retro-fitted, but others on the forum says it can!

I have an r56 JCW with Visual Boost & the full Bluetooth kit installed. The parts man says he cannot see any references in parts computer which suggests to him that its a factory install only.

I can't believe this as I think it just needs to be 'installed' or 'enabled' as the visual boost appears to be able to speak, understand spoken words, connect to iPhone 4, play music/video and show album art - what more does mini connected need?

If you can let me know what I need to ask for I'd be very grateful - desperate to have it installed.

Mart.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 PM
mjnewham
1st Gear
Originally Posted by biggripper

..8<..

3. As best as I can tell the Mission Control and Dynamic Driving Music features are not yet available. Is that correct?

Thanks for your input
Just noticed on the latest Mini Connected video on youtube that Mission Control features (almost) in the Mini Connected demo.. so I guess its not that far away..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvp7D5KGtE @1.20 ..

Attached Thumbnails Official MINI Connected Thread-img_7607.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mjnewham
Just noticed on the latest Mini Connected video on youtube that Mission Control features (almost) in the Mini Connected demo.. so I guess its not that far away..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvp7D5KGtE @1.20 ..

damn that screen looks sexy.. cant wait to get my mini

Old 03-15-2011, 12:50 AM
mjnewham
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
damn that screen looks sexy.. cant wait to get my mini

.. I'm still trying to find out if the mini connected can be retro fitted, nobody seems to know!

Grrr!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Official MINI Connected Thread