Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Double DIN Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:41 PM
matts
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double DIN Install

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Metra double DIN dash kit and harness are now available. I installed a Kenwood DNX6960 - everything works great!!

Last edited by matts; 11-12-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Romo.
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome! Got any pictures? I'd really like to see how it turned out.

*Edit* Where did you buy the kit, if I may ask, and how much did it cost?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM
matts
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Romo.
Awesome! Got any pictures? I'd really like to see how it turned out.

*Edit* Where did you buy the kit, if I may ask, and how much did it cost?
I'll post pics tomorrow. I ordered the kit from a local shop in June - Metra just released the stuff. The harness # is BMRC01 and is around $125. The dash kit is $45. Several suppliers available on the net.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 PM
robspec
3rd Gear
can you use the steering wheel controls?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:32 AM
matts
1st Gear
Originally Posted by robspec
can you use the steering wheel controls?
I don't have the controls (2007 base) but I looked on their website and they do have a steering wheel interface.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:40 AM
matts
1st Gear
[QUOTE=Romo.;3159614]Awesome! Got any pictures? I'd really like to see how it turned out.

Here is a picture.

Attached Thumbnails Double DIN Install-radio.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 AM
perro
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you take the original radio out?
If yes, does your BC (board computer) work normally??

Peter

Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM
matts
1st Gear
Originally Posted by perro
Did you take the original radio out?
If yes, does your BC (board computer) work normally??

Peter
Radio is out. Center speedo obc display is integral to radio so no display there. Display on steering column works fine.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Romo.
1st Gear
Originally Posted by matts
I'll post pics tomorrow. I ordered the kit from a local shop in June - Metra just released the stuff. The harness # is BMRC01 and is around $125. The dash kit is $45. Several suppliers available on the net.
Thanks. I'm seeing something called a BMRD01 as well as a BMRC01. You didn't use both, did you?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 PM
vettestripes
3rd Gear
Here is a picture.
Nice!
Is there a way to keep stock radio in some space behind the dash? Is there room inside the dash?
I want to keep the display on the odometer

Old 11-14-2010, 03:21 AM
matts
1st Gear
Thanks. I'm seeing something called a BMRD01 as well as a BMRC01. You didn't use both, did you?
I used the C01 - wasn't aware of the other.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:22 AM
matts
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vettestripes
Nice!
Is there a way to keep stock radio in some space behind the dash? Is there room inside the dash?
I am not aware of a way to do that.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Romo.
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vettestripes
Nice!
After looking into it, it seems that there's another Metra part, the BMRD-01 which might be what you're looking for:

Link: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=11648

"When the radio is removed from a 2007-08 Mini, the Driver Information Center on the speedometer is lost – information like distance to empty, ambient temperature, the clock, and more. The BMRD-01 retains the Drivers Information Center and the information that goes along with it."

The following users liked this post:
bv93013 (08-26-2019)
Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 AM
matts
1st Gear
After looking into it, it seems that there's another Metra part, the BMRD-01 which might be what you're looking for:

Link: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=11648

"When the radio is removed from a 2007-08 Mini, the Driver Information Center on the speedometer is lost – information like distance to empty, ambient temperature, the clock, and more. The BMRD-01 retains the Drivers Information Center and the information that goes along with it."
Not sure how that works though. The speedo display is actually part of the radio that is removed. Also, the picture for the BMRD-01 on autotoys is actually the BMRC-01.

Attached Thumbnails Double DIN Install-img_2433.jpg  
Old 11-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Romo.
1st Gear
Not sure how that works though. The speedo display is actually part of the radio that is removed. Also, the picture for the BMRD-01 on autotoys is actually the BMRC-01.
I think it would maintain the tach display? That's not removed, is it?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cant tell by the pictures of the display keeper from Metra how it works but the Japanese have been moving the radio section to the secret compartment and then using a wiring harness for the display to the radio section to keep this information display available. They have been doing this since late 2007 but the cost to get the parts here in the USA has been way to much for anyone to take the plunge on. $600 for the parts plus another $400 for shipping last time I check about a year ago.

So the display and radio sections must be able to be taken apart.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 AM
perro
1st Gear
Yes, they are connected with flat-cable... The pics are here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html

Peter

Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 PM
LaserBlue07MCS
2nd Gear
Matts, have you lost any functionallity? Also, how nice do the "black out" planels look that cover the three slots left open once the radio is removed? Does the head unit dim correctly?

Sorry, lots of question but I am really thinking about doing this and want to see what the downside might be.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:13 AM
dimsav
Neutral
I am really interested in such installation and I have to admit I was previously disappointed of the referred huge difficulties .So since you ve done it please allow me a few questions.You mentioned the steering column display works normally displaying everything it did previously(speed,consumption ,te
Perature ,remaining distance to empty e.t.c),is that correct?Also,does the big center speedometer work fine?I don't care much of the display inside it(only radio information and time it is) but mostly I worry of the speed indication.Have you noticed any other malfunction ?Thank you in advance,please enlighten us.

Last edited by dimsav; 11-21-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:12 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I have a stupid question. When you guys say the speedo no longer works, you are talking about the mph display on the steering column, right?

If the only side effect is losing the ability to read the mph on the steering column, I personally wouldn't care since I have the 3 and a half foot speedo steering me in the face anyways.

Am I correct in understanding what won't work?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 AM
wuttuptae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I have a stupid question. When you guys say the speedo no longer works, you are talking about the mph display on the steering column, right?
Originally Posted by romo
I think it would maintain the tach display? That's not removed, is it?
From what I've read in this thread, the speedometer should work fine for both the large, center one (which has always been mechanically linked in my experience) and the display in the steering column dash (digital, I'm assuming it's connected to the big speedo). The tachometer should also work fine since that is also mechanically linked to the engine.

What no longer works is the informational LCD in the center speedometer -- where you would see the radio station you're listening to, etc. See matts picture. There are now three empty slots inside the center speedo face where the board computer info/driver information center, preset buttons, and all the other buttons used to sit.

That Driver Information Center LCD and the associated buttons all feed off the stock radio that was removed. It sounds like (from the description, anyway) the BMRD-01 is what's needed to keep that LCD functional. $120 is quite pricey, but I'm definitely interested in this thread because I plan to change out the stock radio as well.

matts, how is the DNX6960? I was looking at the same receiver or maybe the DNX9960. I'm a big fan of Kenwood eXcelon gear, but I've read about a lot of lock-ups. Have you experienced any?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 AM
perro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wuttuptae
From what I've read in this thread, the speedometer should work fine for both the large, center one (which has always been mechanically linked in my experience) and the display in the steering column dash (digital, I'm assuming it's connected to the big speedo). The tachometer should also work fine since that is also mechanically linked to the engine.
80's are over...
Everything works electronically now...

Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 AM
wuttuptae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by perro
80's are over...
Everything works electronically now...
lol, yeah, makes sense. I didn't really know but a quick search came up with someone selling a speedo cable for a Clubman, so figured it was still a cable. Quite frankly, my last experience with a speedometer was my '87 Accord, which still had a speedo cable. Apologies.

Last edited by wuttuptae; 11-22-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:52 AM
laforze
4th Gear
One question i guess i have. If you do do the replacement on this, do you also lose your BT that's linked with the current system?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The instrument cluster (tach and speedo) have nothing to do with the radio (even though the radio's display shows up in the tach). So everything will work normally.

However, there are going to be some issues. First you can't do this if you have nav since those units are tied together in the double din spot.

Second, you will have no bluetooth (factory system that is), no gongs, no PDC (park distance control), no Mission Control.

Third, if you ever need to have the car diagnosed or recoded at a dealer or a good shop (or yourself) the process will NOT complete without the radio module present. DIS and ISTA needs to have all of the modules present (like some have discovered removing the HIFI amp). Unlike the HIFI amp, the radio cannot be removed from the Vehicle Order (with NCS) because it is such an integral part of the vehicle, so the software will always look for that module.

So if you ever have to take it in for basically work you will probably have to reinstall your factory deck in order for them to touch the car.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Double DIN Install