Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Hiding iphone/audio cables behind the dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM
adgeman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiding iphone/audio cables behind the dashboard

I'm got a bracket and the relevant power/audio cables to play my iphone through the audio input near the cigaretter lighter but I hate the look of all the cables hanging down.

I'd like to find out how tough it would be to potentially remove a part of the dashboard so I could hide the cabling round the back and then maybe bring it up through the glove compartment. I've not been able to find any instructions about how I would do this so does anyone have any tips? How easy/tough would it be?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:12 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its pretty easy actually. I ran the cable for my Aux out/Power/Back up camera input to my Garmin mounted on the Kuda mount. You can search on Kuda mount and believe there is some directions there but here is a pretty quick, high level directions.

1. Remove the Tach. Two T25 torx scres.
2. Remove the lower knee panel under the steering wheel. Two or three screw and a couple of tabs. Optional but a liot easier to fish the cables.
3. Extend the steering wheel all the way down and all the way out.
4. Using a good strong pull, remove the panel behind the tach. It takes more force than you think and it seems like you'll break but you won't. If you have some non-marring trim panel removeal tools, it will make it easier.
4. Run the cables. I ran them along the dash and through the opening of the steering wheel. Be creative.
5. There are lots of gaps in the panels in the center stack you can run them through. I hid the excess cable under the little rubber cubby tray I bought off OutMotoring.
6. Put it all back together. The panel may not fit perfect but ust play around with it.

There are better instructions out there but that is mine, quick and dirty.