Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Help a complete audio n00b upgrade stock head unit!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 AM
wizard7926
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help a complete audio n00b upgrade stock head unit!

Alright, I'm admittedly a newbie when it comes to audio. I've got a 2002 R50 Cooper and while the stock head unit is fine and I love the MFSW controls, I'm getting tired of only being able to play standard CDs!

Probably pertains to a lot of units, but like I said, I don't know what I'm looking for and would like the HU to fit in nicely with the amber interior (a common request I'm sure).

Key features:
  • Must: play standard CDs and MP3 CDs
  • Must: have aux jack on front, does not need iPod jack (I have a Zune )
  • Must: work with MFSW controls (I think I need an adapter with any HU for this, right?)
  • Very preferable: able to read USB, back or front connection
  • Very preferable: HDradio or XM/Sirius ready
  • Preferable: change HU color scheme to match Mini amber

Hope you guys can help me pick out a nice setup!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd look at a Crutchfield catalog, (or their web site: http://www.crutchfield.com), at least to research what you want.

It may also warrant calling them, due to your tricky stipulation that it must work with the multifunction steering wheel controls. I'm not sure if there's an aftermarket adapter for that or not. You may have to give up the notion of using the MFSW controls with an aftermarket head unit.

Again, I'd call up Crutchfield, if only to talk with a sales representative. They're really knowledgable about aftermarket applications and things like this. You don't have to buy from them, especially if you research it and find a cheaper price elsewhere, but at least let them help you with the MFSW question...

Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
May I assume you've already considered a stock "Boost" unit out of a newer R50 or R53? ...And, also that this effectively meets all your requirements, except the aux plug in front and the HD radio requirements?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Act_04
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a little searching on here. There are probably 3 threads on the front page alone discussing head units. There's tons of information on this site. Search then post.

Good luck!