Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio just a slightly better sound system

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a slightly better sound system

Hey everyone,

I just joined the Mini fam this weekend when i purchased my 2010 S Hardtop. Im already in love. This particular car came with the stock sound system (not the Harmon). Now, i see many posts about you guys tricking out your systems, and while thats very cool (and expensive), its not me. I just want to get a slight upgrade. I have to admit that i get more bass out of my laptop computer speakers than the stock radio. All i want is somthing that i can enjoy. i dont need the people in the cars around me to hear the music too lol...... i called Cartoys, which is who my local dealer out sources aftermarket to and the guy was telling me that this is VEY complicated and was saying a min of 3-8k!!!!! i am not buying it..... can someone recomend a basic upgrade for me.... or better yet, i am in the denver area, can someone recomend a place i can go. I am not a stereo guy, so use small works and little jargon or i am not going to understand a word. lol

Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well you say you have the base system but not the HK. There are actaully three possible systems in the car.

1. Base System - speakers in doors and rear panels.
2. HiFi System - speakers in doors rear panels, tweeters in A-Pillars and rear panels.
3. HK System - same as HiFi but marked as HK on A-Pillars.

If you do really have the Base System then the first thing you need to do is the channel swap see this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nnel-swap.html

It make a big difference by putting the base to the speakers that can better handle it.

After that then the cheap way to go if you want more base is by getting a power subwoofer like the Boss or something similar, See this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/159020-boss-audio-bass600-8-inch-low-profile-amplified-subwoofer.html

If you have the HiFi system then it get much more difficult and the above do not really help and the cost goes up to get better sound. But if you do have the HiFi System then you can do a plug and play change out of the HK amp and speakers for about 2K I believe.

If you have any other question please come back and ask.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by steve1ddd
Hey everyone,

I have to admit that i get more bass out of my laptop computer speakers than the stock radio.
Ain't that the truth! I have a dealer loaner car right with the base sound system and it is hardly adequate IMO. I have the HiFi in my own car, which has it's own set of sound issues....but it's so much better than the base system for sure.

Schantzy62 gave good advice. Go look through the threads and you'll find lots of info. The sounds sytems have been discussed alot here and many have found solutions and upgrades that work pretty well.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:07 AM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is exactly what i was looking for. But if i ca trouble you for a little more information. I think i can confirm that i have the "BASE" system seeing how i dont have the little speakers on the a-pillar.
So here are my questions:
I like the idea of the little sub for about 120-150 $. if i do this do i still need to swap the cables for the front and rear speakers? Is this thing super EZ to install. When i say EZ i mean like plug it in and go EZ? Were should it be mounted? Rear? Under Seat? I think i am still going to get this professionaly done because i have ZERO skill with this kinda stuff.
Should i replace the exisiting speakers? Would it be worth it?
basicly i put myself on a $1000 budget to upgrade the system. My goal is to get decent sound and not void any warenties if possible. if i can spend less then the 1k GREAT!.

Also, on a side note, i am getting the running lights put on the front grill, the ones that work with the high-beams? does anyone know if they can be configured to run independent of the high-beams?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
I guess my most important question is, does the Boss bass600 Sub fit under the seat?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:01 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by steve1ddd
I guess my most important question is, does the Boss bass600 Sub fit under the seat?
I gave you a link to the thread so that you could look at it and figure some of this stuff out for yourself.

Please make sure you read the Site Guidelines: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/guidelines

Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 AM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
I saw the link, but its broken....is there another?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:07 AM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
Actually i was able to find it on my own....sorry for the noobness, this is my first forum.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a way to convert a standard system. Not sure if it applies to 2010 models - but may be worth investigating.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-by-alpine.htm

Old 05-08-2010, 01:58 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
speaker replacement

That's a link to the thread I posted on my speaker replacement. The whole upgrade (no sub) was less than $500 (I did the install myself). I also did the front/rear channel swap.

I think it came out great and I'm very happy. Easily worth the $500 and two Saturdays it took for the install.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:18 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
ok my upgrade install is scheduled for next thursday. I hate going to stereo stores and having them trying to sell me EVERYthing and me not knowing the first thing about speakers, Amps, etc. the first round ended up with him quoteing me about $1400. Round 2 was $950. i finally got him to go to $770 installation included (install fees are about 175-200). What i need to know is opinions about the setup.
Kicker 08dx2004 Amp (he said max 600 watts sustained 200 or 50x4)
8 awg amp kits
Kicker 07ds6930 (3way 6x9" for rears)
Bos Acustics S55 5.25 for the front 2
And they are going to install my Boss Audio BASS600 that i purchased seporatly.
They promissed very clean wireing and a 1 year parts and install warenty.

Now i realized i payed more then i probally should have, but is this a good setup?

He said to leave the other front door speakers (4 inch?) diconnected as that they would just hurt sound quality? his other option was to make custom mounting brackets for tweeters and put them in the door, but this would have cost more.

Now i can still swap parts for other parts if i need so, share you colective wisdom oh-great-audio-gurus

Last edited by steve1ddd; 05-15-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: wrong part number
Old 05-15-2010, 06:08 PM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
I had the base system in my 2007 MCS hardtop. I put a small 8" round boom tube subwoofer in the trunk on the floor. I had it installed at a local car stereo shop for maybe 200.00 bucks. They wired it into my radio, all you saw was a cable coming up in the trunk. It plugged into the subwoofer, and they did not drill to hold it down, just used velcro straps. It stayed put, only took up a little bit of room, and made a pretty big difference. Enough to give the radio some bass. I now have a 2009 MCS conv JCW stage 1, with the upgraded system. I have to say, that by adding the subwoofer, it was almost as good a sounding. Now, I am not an audio file, and I know that the Hifi system to most sounds terrible, but it is good enough for me. I would go that route. If you are interested, I will sell you mine, it is in great shape, and it is just sitting in my cabinet. Let me know. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:45 PM
TheLex
2nd Gear
I'm leaning towards the Urban Mini Sub box that would go where the spare tire is. Then I would do the channel swap, perhaps changing out the front speakers. I'm undecided as to whether I need some sort of time alignment device. I'm also undecided whether I should do the A pillar upgrade so that I can place the tweeters higher up and raise the soundstage. I'm hoping to keep the whole thing under 2k.