Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio 2005 Mini Cooper S Sound System Advice/Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:00 PM
MiniELF
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mini Cooper S Sound System Advice/Info

Hi to all...new to the site. I recently purchased a 2005 Mini Cooper S with what I assume to be the Harman Kardon upgraded sound system. I only assume because that's the names on the speaker plates. I have several questions/issues that I need advice on, and I hope you all can help.

First...how can I find out the specific information about my stereo/head unit? My brother is pretty good with stereos, and we haven't been successful in finding the right info.

Secondly...I want to be able to have Sirius satellite radio (this model only has on Aux output on the back of the head unit). I am really trying not to replace the existing head unit, because of the integrated steering wheel features (and it works). Does anyone have a good (not necessarily easy or cheap) solution? I am willing to change head units if need be, but see point three.

Lastly...if I have to change the head unit I want the least invasive or most compatible /to my car (to include amber display) what would you all recommend

If I've missed some recent searches, etc...please direct me to the right place. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel if this has already been covered, but you're help would be most appreciated.

MiniELF

Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
papa-j
1st Gear
Top of the forum - the sticky posts are your friend

Sticky on H/K systems is a great starting place.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Tom2112
2nd Gear
If you have to replace the head unit, look at JVC brand head units. They're the only head units I've seen where you can adjust the display colors to match your interior. For whatever reason, most of the other brands only offer one color (blue is big this year) or offer two or three (usually blue, red, and green) that still aren't amber.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 PM
taydau1
1st Gear
I beg to differ. I replaced my HK Head Unit with a Clarion VZ709 setup, had a flip out 7" display, Nav, IPOD interface, USB, and DVD. The lighting was originally a white/blue and on a removable faceplace. The faceplate had transparent lenses to allow the lightbar to transmit the lighting to the buttons. I picked up some translucent Amber/orange paint and painted two small 1/4 inch windows on the light bar and now the lighting matches the mini lighting scheme.
To your question, if you have the standard Alpine Deck (All US MINIs should have the same head unit), then there are aux inputs that you can tap the sirrus aux outputs into. there are some pinouts for the alpine head unit in this fourm that will show what pins to tap into.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...for-150-a.html