Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Planning audio upgrade - non hi-fi

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 PM
klipper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning audio upgrade - non hi-fi

I would like to start off by saying that the information found on this web site is amazing. I’m very excited to be a part of such a large and informed group of MINI enthusiasts.

Thank you to everyone who has participated and posted the information needed for my potential audio installation. It has been very informative reading over the past week!

I have a 09 JCW Clubman with the base audio system.

Based on all the great information posted here is what I am planning. Please let me know your thoughts on this setup.
Equipment over view:

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty OEM signal processor (mounted in boot)
Rockford Fosgate Power T400-4 Amp for the front and rear speakers (mounted in boot)
Rockford Fosgate Power T400-2 Amp for the sub (mounted in boot)
Rockford Fosgate Punch P3SD210 10” sub in sealed enclosure under flat load floor in boot
Front speakers: TBD (focal polyglass 165vb, Polk MM6501, etc...) Suggestions welcome!
Rear Speakers: 6” x 9” to match the fronts

Step 1:
Making an X9331 “pass through” connector by purchasing a male and female end with the appropriate pins. I will pass through all the wires except for the speaker wires. For example:
Pin 1 = pass though using 12 gauge wire
Pin 2 through 8 = run 18 gauge speaker wire to boot for front speakers only. Leave rear unused
Pin 9 = pass through using 18 gauge wire
Pin 10 = Leave rear speaker wires unused
Pin 11 = pass though using 12 gauge wire
Pin 12 = pass though using 14 gauge wire
The reason I am leaving the rear wires unused is based on the 100hz rolloff issue with the rear output. The 3Sixty will take the signal information from the front speakers and use them for the rear and sub outputs.

Step 2:
Connect front speaker wires to Rockford 3Sixty mounted in boot. This will allow me to use the signal coming from the fronts and output them for front signals, rear signals and sub signals.

Step 3:
Tear apart the doors and run new wires back to the boot. (best route?) Use the arm rest for mounting the crossover. Mount the tweeter in the 4” speaker location.

Step 4:
I need help on this one! Tear apart the boot to get to the rear speaker enclosures. I can find a lot of info for the R56 but not the R55. Run speaker wires back to the boot.

Step 5:
Using 4 gauge power wire, run a line from the battery to the boot. Does anyone know the best route for the R55? I know how to get to the battery though the firewall but not the best path to the boot.

Step 6:
Run 4 gauge ground wire from amps to the best location for grounding. Is it just behind the rear speakers? Does anyone have any good suggestions?
I don’t think I will need to run a power sensing line as the Rockford 3Sixty has auto signal sensing. Any thoughts?

Step 7:
Connect the 3Sixty to the respective amps. Connect respective amps to respective speakers, etc...
Any information or suggestions are very welcome.

Sorry for the long post. I just want to make sure I have everything covered.

Again, that you for all the great information found on this site. I’m loving it!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Step 1: If you just use the signal for the front speakers you wont get anything that is sent by the head unit to the rears. If you have Park Distance Control, this would be a problem.

I believe the Rockford 3Sixty is designed to compensate for things like the bass roll-off in the rear channels. So, why not connect up all channels and let the Rockford 3Sixty sort it out?

I don't understand Step 2.

Is a 4 gauge wire sufficient to run both your amps? My single Q 450.4 amp required a 4 gauge wire.

You will probably need an amp-on signal for your amps. I would recommend using the cig lighter circuit by tapping into the socket in the boot. Your amps will only come on when the engine is running, but that is the safest thing to do with all that amperage.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Step 1: If you just use the signal for the front speakers you wont get anything that is sent by the head unit to the rears. If you have Park Distance Control, this would be a problem.
I agree with Robin on this one run all the channels from the head unit back to the rear of the car. You can then use the Rear channels for the front and front channels for the rear. This will automatically take out some of the base that will need to be removed from the fronts anyway.

I believe the Rockford 3Sixty is designed to compensate for things like the bass roll-off in the rear channels. So, why not connect up all channels and let the Rockford 3Sixty sort it out?
yes a 3Sixty will do some cpmpensation for you if you want to add some lower frequencies below 100 hz into the front channels by using the rear signals.

I don't understand Step 2.
Step two sounds confusing but I think what he means is to use the front channel signals from the head unit to run to the 3Sixty.

Is a 4 gauge wire sufficient to run both your amps? My single Q 450.4 amp required a 4 gauge wire.
I would work but running two would be better.

You will probably need an amp-on signal for your amps. I would recommend using the cig lighter circuit by tapping into the socket in the boot. Your amps will only come on when the engine is running, but that is the safest thing to do with all that amperage.
The 3Sixty can provide an amp on signal to the amps but i would not trust it. if there is ANY noise what so ever on the audio lines then the 3Sixty will force the amps to stay on and kill you battery. As Robin says pick up a signal from somewhere like the boot cigarette lighter to cause the amps to go on and off. These cars are known for weak charging and thus any unnecessary draw on the car is going to cause problems.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 AM
klipper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the confusion on step 2. Here is what I mean.
Take the speaker level signals from the X9331 and run them back to the 3Sixty.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by klipper
Sorry for the confusion on step 2. Here is what I mean.
Take the speaker level signals from the X9331 and run them back to the 3Sixty.
See my comment about using all four channels.