Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Navigation is Broken - Is Replacement Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 AM
dijitaldharma
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation is Broken - Is Replacement Worth It?

Hi!

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S with the DVD navigation system. Though I LOVE the fact that I had a navigation build into my car, I was never really that impressed with the system - it is clunky to use, didn't know where the heck I was in Boston because of the big dig, and also gets lost on many smaller roads.

How much would it cost to fix the navigation system? The error states that it cannot read the DVD and I've tried cleaning it, putting the dvd back in, etc - to no avail.

If it is going to cost an arm and a leg to fix the system, I might be better off purchasing a tom tom or something that is easier to use and that I can take with me if/when I get a new car.

What do you all think? What would you do?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:01 AM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
You could get an updated DVD. No idea what it costs, but a call to a dealer will answer that question.

Not sure, but I think you could burn a data DVD with some MP3s to make sure nothing is wrong with the drive itself. My car is non-nav so I don't have a system to test this with.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Odds are it's the DVD reader, but you should check a local MINI club to see if you can try another DVD to rule that out. Replacing the unit is expensive, though it's been posted in the past that it is possible to disassemble it and just replace the reading laser. Not for the faint of heart though.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:05 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The laser head itself is probably the component that failed. If you're comfortable with soldering, the replacement part only costs about $20. At the next level, the complete DVD drive (inside the Nav unit) can be replaced for about $200. The entire Nav unit is listed on RealOEM.com for $2600!

Look at this thread for more information: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...h-alcohol.html

Old 12-24-2009, 03:53 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
try the quick fix first, take the DVD out and bring it to a gamestop or gamestation and for a few bucks let them clean it. I did that and also had the dealer upgrade the firmware on the system( no Charge) and it works perfectly now