Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Hidden AUX input?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 PM
skoledin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hidden AUX input?

Hi All, Sorry if this has been covered already, but searched and couldn't find the answer.

I just bought a 2005 MCS with the base audio. When I press mode on the HU, I get an AUX input selection. Does this mean I already have an AUX adapter installed?

I've dug around and can't find a jack, but perhaps the previous owner did a good job of hiding it...

Do you get AUX option only if adapter is installed, or is it there all the time regardless?

Thanks much.
-Stephan

Old 08-29-2009, 12:40 PM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
The factory recommended location is inside your glove compartment along the inner partition closest to the radio. Check there.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:43 PM
skoledin
Neutral
I've looked there and done a lot of blind feeling around in plenty of non-obvious spaces. I'll go look again, but big thing, before I end up on a wild goose chase is:

Does having AUX available via the MODE button mean that I definitely already have an adapter of some kind installed?

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:02 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The aux selection is displayed only if an adapter is plugged in. The headunit detects a small circuit in the jack. Besides the glovebox, another popular location to install the jack is in the storage cubby below the toggle switches.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
What rkw said, an adapter is there. If not, the radio would not go into aux mode. However, I'm not sure if you could have something else there or not. I am only familiar with the aux connection.

If you are at all handy, removing the radio is not a very difficult task. The adapter is located at the corner left rear of the radio head unit (on the driver's side). Just follow the wiring out of the adapter and it should lead you in the direction of the location.

I installed mine and you can really lay the wire and install the plug anywhere you want. I am halfway towards installing it on the blank piece opposite of the parking brake to the runflat reset switch, but I lost the outside adapter and plate thingy so I just have the cable lying out beside the parking brake.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:28 PM
skoledin
Neutral
Thanks for the info everyone. Easy/lucky win for me on this one! There was indeed a factory/dealer installed adapter there, but looks like it had never been used.

I simply pulled down the hinged panel beneath the steering column, reached behind the HU to see what I could feel/find. There was a fairly loose bundle of black fabric-wrapped wired back there, so I gave it a little tug. Sure enough, the bundle ended in a 1/8" jack, ready to be used. I just routed it down behind the center console and out behind my volt/oil meters and hooked up a patch cable. AUX in, the easy way. Saved me $40 and didn't have to take anything apart. Yay!

It would be super nice to have the jack in the toggle panel, but for 5min of fishing, I'm not complaining about the results.

Thanks again.