Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Homemade Palm Pre Charging Dock

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 PM
LittleJoe
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade Palm Pre Charging Dock

The Palm Pre uses the "Touchstone" for wireless charging. The Touchstone magnetically holds the Pre in place and charges via induction. There is no dock. The Pre just magnetically sticks to the Touchstone and charges.

So the Touchstone seems to be the perfect car charging accessory. It's charging, connected to bluetooth, and connected to the AUX port for Pandora radio or other internet streaming.

Here's what I used to mount the Touchstone in my MCS:

1. The ash tray which fits in the cup holder (after I broke off the cover of the ash tray)
2. Black Circular disk which came with my Tom Tom GPS for dash mounting
3. Walmart USB car charger (powers the Touchstone)
4. Radio Shack 3.5mm cord from the Pre to the AUX-In jack for streaming audio.

I just glued the circular disk to the ash tray, put the ash tray in the cup holder, and stuck the Touchstone to the top.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Alerious
3rd Gear
Very cool... been tempted to do the same with mine... my only concern is that I intend to purchase one of the extended batteries, which unfortunately doesn't support the touchstone right now. Hoping that changes soon, though, as I really want that 2800 mA battery.

GotMINI

Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
dpad
Neutral
Homemade Palm Pre Charging Dock

Very cool!

I was wanting to do the same (once I buy it here in Canada) but instead I wanted to see if I could put it in one of the air vents (which would of course block out that air vent). It's almost the same size and the magnetic contact would keep it upright allowing it to be seen with a quick glance and used with little effort!

Do you think it's possible? Or am I dreaming?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Alerious
3rd Gear
Might be possible, but I'd be worried the magnet in the Touchstone not securing the phone well enough... I typically take turns pretty spiritedly and the roads I drive on aren't the smoothest around. I'd like more feedback on how well that setup works.

GotMINI

Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 PM
LittleJoe
3rd Gear
Which air vent are you thinking about using? When I'm behind the wheel, the 2 drivers side vents are blocked frim my eyesight by the steering wheel.

There is a proclip mount (expensive) that will give you a good mounting surface next to the glove box button. That looks to be a good location. You could affix the Touchstone directly to the mounting plate. The Pre might stick to the Touchstone in an upright position, but I'm doubtful it wouldn't occasionally fall off.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM
The QZ
4th Gear
Awesome idea. I was thinking of doing something similar with my pre. My idea would be to mount the touchstone in the little area behind the power outlet. That way both cup holders are still free. I really like the way yours looks though...