Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPhone 3GS

Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
LittleJoe
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The USB port on the MCS is only rated to output 500ma. It needs to output 1000ma, but doesn't. I think the iphone 3gs is needs just a bit more than 500ma, so it doesn't charge most of the time.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 AM
LittleJoe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
And that is because the 3GS takes to much current to charge the battery. The currnet limit on the MINI is 500MA the newer iPods/iPhones require up to 1500MA and possibly as much as 2000MA to charge.
Oops, you beat me to the explanation!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Wdaleh
Neutral
I have seen alot of posts suggesting low current is the problem, and I think that sounds likely. I personally feel like Apple wouldn't risk all of the compatibilty problems that a pinout reconfiguration would surely cause. But I am curious to know what your source for this fact is? I hope this doesn't sound like I'm challenging you....cause I'm not....I just like to hear it from the horses mouth. If I get an authoritative source I'm gonna phone my MA.

Thanks
Dale

Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
drak
Neutral
Hi to everybody !!

Is there any new aspect consdidering the 3GS as far as the "not-being-charged-by-the-factory-installed-USB-Port" is concerned ??

I hoped that a firmwareupdate of the Iphone would help but I was wrong: I have the same yellow triangle message that chatging is not supported, or so after updating to OS 3.1

A Friend ogf mine with a new BMW 740 told me today that his 3GS is being charged in the car with the same BMW Y- Cable

Regards
Drak

Old 09-12-2009, 06:38 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drak
Hi to everybody !!

Is there any new aspect consdidering the 3GS as far as the "not-being-charged-by-the-factory-installed-USB-Port" is concerned ??

I hoped that a firmwareupdate of the Iphone would help but I was wrong: I have the same yellow triangle message that chatging is not supported, or so after updating to OS 3.1

A Friend ogf mine with a new BMW 740 told me today that his 3GS is being charged in the car with the same BMW Y- Cable

Regards
Drak
It's not the cable. It';s not the phone. It's the port. It doesn't supply enough power to charge the phone. My service manager looked into it and told me last week that MINI is not planning a fix four our cars. I'm using a USB splitter cable that connects to both the iPod port and to a cigarette lighter charger for enough power. I also discovered I have to start the car before I connect the iPhone to get it to recognize it can be charged.

A BMW 7 series costs $40-50K+ more than a MINI, so that's really an apples to oranges comparison.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:14 AM
drak
Neutral
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
I'm using a USB splitter cable that connects to both the iPod port and to a cigarette lighter charger for enough power.

And ?? Is this functioning ?? How do you manage the mess of cables, can they all be hided in the small Hole of the console ??

Rgds
Drak

Old 09-13-2009, 05:06 AM
shamrok
2nd Gear
I hate spagetti cords but so far no factory solution

Here is a post I wrote a few months back..

---

The moment of truth arrived today and I guess it is a mixed blessing. The new Y-cable arrived and I hooked it up in my Mini to see if it would solve the charging problem. See the image below on how I connected it to my car. Here is what I have discovered with the crazy configuration.

1. It is ugly
2. This configuration allows my iPhone 3GS to charge and work the the Mini's stereo computer in the same way the old Mini Y-adapter did with my iPhone 2G. I can use the playlist etc..
3. This Mini stereo will not allow the audio jack to work when the iPhone is connected. My guess is that the same audio input is being used for both even though they seem to be categorized differently by the stereo.

Okay, so it sounds like I should be happy with this scenario but I am not. I have the XM/Sirrus App for my iPhone (which I highly recommend) and if I connect the iPhone with this combination of cables it disables the Mini stereo mini jack and so I cannot pipe the XM radio through my Mini stereo without disconnecting the new amazon Y cable.

So to make a long story short, I will not be using the amazon Y cable and also not using the integrated iPod feature of my mini because of this quirk. I think my only hope for a solution is if Mini updates the stereo's firmware and also upgrade the low powered USB port to charge the iPhone 3Gs.

---

I hope that a factory solution is on the way for upgrading the power port because this issue is driving me crazy. Of course.. if a company could make a bluetooth solution, I would be even happier. I am trying to keep my eye's peeled for an aftermarket solution. If anyone runs across anything that could help me run the full functionality of my 3GS in my Mini, I would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Malc

Old 09-13-2009, 09:51 AM
drak
Neutral
Thanks for the wonderful Photo. It's exactly what I was afraid about. All these Cables in the small Console hole............

I bought the Brodit Cradle and connect the I Phone through a 3,5mm Aux Cable which is wrapped behind the craddle and is not sooooooooo ugly.

The iphone is being charged through a simple Car Charger with an adjustable, thin cable.

The position of the phone in the cradle makes it very easy to use the Ipod Buttons of the phone.

So in short the result is OK and scrolling through the different lists is much faster using the phone. Furthermore I use an aditional USB Stick with another 16 GB of Music I'm not sure if there will be a solution from BMW/Mini for our problem in the future

I'm not sure about the sound though. I think it is a little better through the Mini USB Adapter than through the Aux in.........

Attached Thumbnails iPhone 3GS-img_1552-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-13-2009, 10:03 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
I'm using the Craven Speed iPhone mount that comes off to the left of the tach. I just started using Navigon on the iPhone, so I want it positioned closer to the steering wheel, which the Craven does.

I still have to sort out the cable mess. That's my project for next weekend.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 AM
drak
Neutral
I'm using the Craven Speed iPhone mount that comes off to the left of the tach. I just started using Navigon on the iPhone, so I want it positioned closer to the steering wheel, which the Craven does.

I don't know the craven mount, never heard about it in Europe. The position of the phone with the brodit mount is also very good for using Navigon. I never have problems with the GPS...........

Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drak
I don't know the craven mount, never heard about it in Europe. The position of the phone with the brodit mount is also very good for using Navigon. I never have problems with the GPS...........
http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=52

Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm using the Craven Speed iPhone mount that comes off to the left of the tach. I just started using Navigon on the iPhone, so I want it positioned closer to the steering wheel, which the Craven does.qq
Exactly which pieces are you using all together? Do you have other gauges?

Split Loom Tubing

Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Exactly which pieces are you using all together? Do you have other gauges?

Split Loom Tubing
I have the FlexPod Bracket R with Garmin Nuvi module (which I had before for my Nuvi 760) & an Eyebone extension. It gives me very good placement. I can't have my Nav down lower and right where other mounts are because I'm far-sigheted and -- even with correction -- I have too much trouble seeing the screen while driving.

Thanks for the link on the tubing.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:33 AM
njchris
1st Gear
Originally Posted by LittleJoe
The USB port on the MCS is only rated to output 500ma. It needs to output 1000ma, but doesn't. I think the iphone 3gs is needs just a bit more than 500ma, so it doesn't charge most of the time.
USB ports only provide up to 500ma. So the 3gs does not require more otherwise it would not charge correctly when hooked up to a computer.

If the Mini port provided 500ma, this would not be an issue. Even on my 3G it charged slow and sometimes would have almost no effect if I was listening to music or had the GPS, BT, etc.. on.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 AM
mfj197
Neutral
Originally Posted by njchris
USB ports only provide up to 500ma. So the 3gs does not require more otherwise it would not charge correctly when hooked up to a computer.

If the Mini port provided 500ma, this would not be an issue. Even on my 3G it charged slow and sometimes would have almost no effect if I was listening to music or had the GPS, BT, etc.. on.
The vast majority of computers can now provide more than 500mA. This is why many USB powered external hard disks no longer come with splitter leads to run the disk from the power of 2 USB ports - because 1 is enough with most computers.

It is the power output of the MINI port that is the problem, as has been mentioned above. If the iPhone battery is nearly full then it usually will charge with just the Y-lead, albeit very slowly, but run the iPhone flat and the power requirement to charge and restart the phone is just too much for the MINI USB port to handle. I'm running a similar setup to Shamrock above, with the power from the MINI USB port augmented by a separate charger. The first charger I had didn't provide enough power to charge my 3G from flat (even though it was rated at 1A), but the second one does (even though it is rated at only 700mA - go figure!).

The likes of the Scosche adaptor won't work for this application. They are designed to provide 5V output (USB standard) from older iPod chargers that actually provide 12V output (Firewire standard). Older iPods, and the 1st gen iPhone, could charge from Firewire 12V or USB 5V, but from the iPhone 3G on they removed the ability to charge from 12V leaving only the 5V USB standard.

Hope this helps!

Michael

Old 10-18-2009, 08:36 AM
xphiledan
2nd Gear
Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 PM
half-pint
Neutral
Solution in the works for Apple 3GS charging issue

I actually work in parts at a dealer and our regional accessory rep stated that they are currently working on an updated Y-cable that is 12 volt compatible.
There was way to much power being sucked up by the 3GS which is why it would not charge properly.
Word is that it is due for release by end of fourth quarter. No official word as to whether it will be eligible for warranty, but my gut thinks it will.
I'll post again when I have more detailed info.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM
xphiledan
2nd Gear
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xphiledan
There's some interesting info in this link, but it's important to note that it is for the 3G, which has different power requirements than the 3GS.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
I've got a 3GS and I'm using a Griffin Powerjolt SE charger and it works just fine. No more "Nope, not gonna do it" when I plug it in or anything. The cord comes out at a 90 degree angle so it stays clear of the switches and all and the entire thing is black so it doesn't stand out against the interior of the car.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:06 PM
xenomatic
Neutral
Aux in won't work with iPhone 3GS

Shamrok - I have a used 2005 Mini S and an Apple iPhone 3GS. Reading your post with the pic of the cable mess, I read your problem that I think I share. Without using anything but a standard 3.5 audio cable connected directly from the iPhone to what looks an OEM Aux input jack (either with or without a charger connected), the radio will only play music from the iPhone for a few minutes, then the aux option shuts off and disappears from the input options on the radio. If I disconnect the phone, it shows back up again.
I've also tried connection through a charging dock with audio out and get the same result.

Is this the same problem you are having? If so, it's not just your cable, but I can't think of what may cause the aux in to just shut off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, where did you get the cable that connects to the iPhone and has just the USB and 3.5mm audio plug? I can use something like that in another car but can't seem to locate it anywhere. Is it specific to the Mini?

thanks

Old 01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
NDDavo
Neutral
Anyone have any luck with some of the later posts here? Just bought a used 06 Cooper S, trying to come up with a good solution. My wife has a 3G and I have a 3GS. The car came with an Ipod cable that will interface, but not charge as others have experienced. Does the stereo in an 06 even have a USB port? Along with the Ipod hookup, there are power supply and a smaller audio jack cable run into the glove box, not sure what they were used for as the car came with the factory Garmin mounted. Radar detector?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:44 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NDDavo
Anyone have any luck with some of the later posts here? Just bought a used 06 Cooper S, trying to come up with a good solution. My wife has a 3G and I have a 3GS. The car came with an Ipod cable that will interface, but not charge as others have experienced. Does the stereo in an 06 even have a USB port? Along with the Ipod hookup, there are power supply and a smaller audio jack cable run into the glove box, not sure what they were used for as the car came with the factory Garmin mounted. Radar detector?
Hi NDDavo,

The 06 and earlier cars are from the 1st Generation, where the car was redesigned. The USB port wasn't available and the stereo and electronics are nearly completely different. There is still a dealer-installed iPod adapter that goes in the secret compartment like yours.

An adapter like this may help: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS696LL/A

Not sure if the version of the iPod adapter that is installed in the secret compartment will be able to provide enough current for the 3GS though.

The other cables sound like an AUX input connection and maybe power for some other type of MP3 player?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by half-pint
I actually work in parts at a dealer and our regional accessory rep stated that they are currently working on an updated Y-cable that is 12 volt compatible.
I have a new '10 MCS (week 44 build) and mine charges like a champ. I ASSume that the cable is new. Or is the port outputting more power? Lots of speculation in this thread as to what the original problem was, but I can assure you that in my case, it's not an issue. I wish I'd have saved the bag the Y-cable came in so that I could compare the part # to see if it's new, but unfortunately I tossed it immediately.

I can hook my 3GS up with almost no remaining charge, with the bluetooth radio on and playing music, and it will fully charge in a couple of hours while driving around.. basically the same performance as on my home charger. No adapters, no funny business, just working as it should.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
bersch
Neutral
Originally Posted by KevinC
I have a new '10 MCS (week 44 build) and mine charges like a champ. I ASSume that the cable is new.
Can you tell us the number on the cable?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio iPhone 3GS