Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio I want to upgrade my premium speakers to have subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1992
MINI was at least kind enough to provide a cig lighter power adapter in the boot but what about a good audio signal???
That's there for the Mini 12v cooler. No clean audio back there.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1992
To add to that how about a speaker and amp combo that will fit which will not distort. Distortion is the enemy.

Once again, how does one get a good audio signal that can be used for the additional sub amp in the boot? MINI was at least kind enough to provide a cig lighter power adapter in the boot but what about a good audio signal???
I would be careful about tapping off the cig lighter for power for your amp. Depending on the size of the output of the amp, you're going to want to run at least 8 gauge from the battery.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deviant
The only two subs that I know of that fit given the depth and air-space is the Earthquake SWS12 and the Rockford Fosgate P3S
Yeah, I'm looking for rich, not thumpidy thump thump... just from the name, I'm thinking the Earthquake is out. How is the Fostgate?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:05 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
I would be careful about tapping off the cig lighter for power for your amp. Depending on the size of the output of the amp, you're going to want to run at least 8 gauge from the battery.
Yeah, I ran 8 gauge on my old MC. Might even go wider if I ever do it on this one.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
The lighter socket is only for remote turn-on, so the amp doesn't run with the ignition off.
Originally Posted by MoxieMini
Yeah, I'm looking for rich, not thumpidy thump thump... just from the name, I'm thinking the Earthquake is out. How is the Fostgate?
I have no experience with that Fosgate but obviously it's a reputable company, I always felt they were better for SPL rather than quality though. I wasn't sure about Earthquake myself and had to ask a friend who's more into audio than I am (this was the first install I've done in about five years). The Earthquake is a decent unit, I haven't really pushed it to it's maximum capability for SPL and there are better (and more expensive) units available for sound quality but at the low power level I'm giving it it's perfectly fine. Keep in mind my setup is a very large compromise, I wanted to keep it simple and on a budget by using what I already had in the form of an older amplifier and factory equipment.