Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio H/K HiFi - trying to add a sub

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Shinies
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H/K HiFi - trying to add a sub

My daughter has a 2007 Mini Cooper Convertible and has been suffering from lack-of-low-bass from the stock HiFi HK system. We picked her up a BTA6100 6" powered bazooka tube for Xmas just to add a little bit more low end to her tunes. I have a lot of experience in the 80's/90's in doing car audio work, but nothing recently and I never used a stock head unit to provide a signal. High/Low converters are completely taboo in my book.

I read the thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...em-how-to.html and realize that this is not what I am looking for (uses speaker-level inputs to the amplifier). And, of course, power will come directly from the battery, as it should for any amplifier.

From the way I understand it, there is signal only coming from the head unit to the amp --- this is good. I found this (http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=469 ) to tap into the signal and I can then run RCA's back to the back and send a clean signal to the bazooka amp.

Some questions:
  • If I grab the signal at the head unit, will my bass control affect the signal that I am sending to the sub? (I think I read somewhere that this could be a problem.)
  • Generally, is this the best way to get this amplifed sub integrated?
  • Is there another (more popular and better reputation) tap into singal on the factory system?
  • Is there a wiring diagram for the connector on the amplifier?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 AM
spanglmd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bumping this, because i'm interested as well. I just don't like how aftermarket head units look. They are all gaudy/tacky and out of place compared to the stock unit