Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Using the R55/R56 satellite antenna

Old 08-31-2008, 07:59 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CD International thinks that the problem with my 'old' SkyFi may be due to the "Low Noise" (174LN) patch cable used.

They are sending me a "Regular" (RG174) patch cable and I will see if it does the job and should have the answer by the end of next week.

That old Precedus cable (that works well) has no mark I can see to identify, but it is thinner than the CD Int Cable.

I have a 17 foot RG-58U (fat ) patch cable that I lengthened from the longest (12 foot) and it does an excellent job in the aircraft from WxWorx Receiver to the SkyFi 'Boom-Box' in the aft cabin; there may be a 'boost' for it, but WxWorx only offered the patch cable in 6', 9' & 12' and doubted success for my lengthening idea.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:47 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's very good of service from CD Int. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
>>> Excellent solution from CD International <<<

The replacement (Regular RG174) Patch Cable arrived Tuesday (quick service from across the land) and I first tried and saw improvement
(over Low Noise) using it on my antique Precedus GPS.

This morning I installed it between MINI's Sirius Fakra Antenna Connector, under console and forward to the cubbyhole with the AUX Plug.

XM-Radio reception is now excellent on All Channels!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:51 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pilotart
The replacement (Regular RG174) Patch Cable arrived Tuesday (quick service from across the land) and I first tried and saw improvement
(over Low Noise) using it on my antique Precedus GPS.

This morning I installed it between MINI's Sirius Fakra Antenna Connector, under console and forward to the cubbyhole with the AUX Plug.

XM-Radio reception is now excellent on All Channels!!!
Glad to hear things worked out! I'm curious if a regular patch cable would improve my reception to my Sirius Sportster 5. I have the original sat cable from CD int, and I've noticed no difference in signal strength. I get quite a few drop-outs in signal every day that almost makes me want to return my sat radio.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Drivin09
Neutral
Thanks to all the great advice on this forum, I've upgraded my installation of an XM satellite receiver from dangling cables to something more svelte. I used the Add-A-Circuit, CDI antenna cable, and Kuda side mount to get the results below. The circuit and antenna cable are excellent, not so thrilled about the Kuda fit, but it's OK.

In case it's useful to someone else, all my trials are documented in the attached pdf....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MiniCooper_XM_XpressRC_v1.0.pdf (989.0 KB, 828 views)
Old 08-09-2009, 02:02 PM
mdrums
2nd Gear
Drivin09, thanks for a great detailed pdf. I am going to do the same thing in a month or so. I also mounted my Kuda the same way you did. The Kuda instructions are worthless.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:29 PM
BMW13
2nd Gear
Bought a 2010 and went to do the modification and there was no box under the passenger seat just carpet. I noticed someone said on the early models you had to cut through the carpet, anyone actually cut through the carpet. I don't want to go cutting up my brand new car to discover the box has been relocated. I opened the box under the driver seat and all I could see was an electric motor and a green wire.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
I do not recall any mention of "cutting" the carpet. I had to fish mine out from through right front seat rail bolt hole (no box under my seat) and then push it through the same slit as the seat/airbag cable comes through. Big caution here is that if you disconnect airbag plug from seat bottom and then activate ignition, you will need a Dealer Vi$it to re-set AirBag Warning, a lot of folks disconnect battery while seat is disconnected.

This Thread has some good photos of what his '08 looks like with carpet removed. I am glad that I did not need to remove the carpet. I had my seats removed for my Memory Foam/Wet Okole project and went fishing (used a coat-hanger wire hook and a long handle hemostat) for the antenna at that time. Never heard of a box under driver's seat with a motor.

The box or lid mentioned by a lot of users, has been for the computer for DSC which not all '08's had, but all '09's did. It is possible that it was moved to under drivers seat for '10's, but unlikely.

The Satellite Antenna lead is thin and has a pink plastic rectangular plug (about ¼" wide and ¾" long) and was taped to the MINI Sirus Module cable.

Last edited by pilotart; 10-04-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 AM
BMW13
2nd Gear
Thanks for the link. My wife would shoot me if I try and take out the seat. I will try and fish it out since I really also don't want to be cutting up the carpet. I assume I don't have the plastic box covering mine under the carpet since it doesn't feel like there is one there.

Last edited by BMW13; 10-05-2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-05-2009, 07:20 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
What helped me most was to be able to feel the connectors beneath the carpet, through the carpet.

This would be possible without removing the seat and hook and pull, out the seat-AirBag slit should work, but if you disconnect that connector from seat bottom, hide the key/fob until it is re-connected.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:21 AM
BMW13
2nd Gear
My floor does not look like the link, I have a black vent sticking through the carpet that is about 4" wide. Is this vent something new for 2010 or do you know if other Mini's have it. The cord for the seat comes out beside it towards the front and right where the bar is for adjusting the seat.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
That floor is an '08 without the optional DSC, just like mine and the most difficult to find the antenna cable.

Those with the '07-'08 optional DSC as well as the '09's with the standard DSC have reported easily finding the cable inside the container under the passenger seat that contains the DSC Computer.

You need to take a close look at that black vent as it is likely where it will be found, there have been photos posted in here that show the box opened from the rear, with the seat up and forward, may need some torx or screws removed to see inside.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

Here is a link to the photos mentioned, two screws to remove and they look like torx:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-antenna.html

Hope this looks like yours LOL it's just the top of this thread!

Last edited by pilotart; 10-05-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Add links to thread mentioned.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM
CarJon
2nd Gear
I guess I was "lucky", my cable was sitting there in the slot that other cables were coming through. All I had to do was pull it out from that slot.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:49 PM
BMW13
2nd Gear
Finally got around to installing my cable today. Cut a small slit in the carpet on the back side of the vent and pulled up and saw the cable and pulled it out. Hooked it up and the reception is much better than with the XM antenna. Where I used to lose the signal because of tree's near my house I now keep a good signal, thanks everyone for the information.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 AM
ArcticEd
Neutral
Resurrecting a very old thread...

I have a 2010 Clubman that didn't come with the satellite radio. I bought the CDInt cable & used it to connect to the factory antenna under the passenger seat. I ran all of the wires & mounted an Xpress RCi on a Kuda mount next to the Spedo.

The first time I turned on the XM receiver I got a 50% satellite signal (not unusual for my area). Since then I don't get any reception at all. I've checked the antenna connection under the seat & to the dock and don't see any issues.

Any ideas what the problem might be before I tear the dash apart again and run the magnetic antenna outside? Is there a way to check signal strength of the antenna? I figure if there's a signal at the end of the factory lead but none at the connection to the radio it might be the cable but don't know how (or if it's possible) to check signal strength.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 PM
ArcticEd
Neutral
Originally Posted by ArcticEd
Resurrecting a very old thread...

I have a 2010 Clubman that didn't come with the satellite radio. I bought the CDInt cable & used it to connect to the factory antenna under the passenger seat. I ran all of the wires & mounted an Xpress RCi on a Kuda mount next to the Spedo.

The first time I turned on the XM receiver I got a 50% satellite signal (not unusual for my area). Since then I don't get any reception at all. I've checked the antenna connection under the seat & to the dock and don't see any issues.

Any ideas what the problem might be before I tear the dash apart again and run the magnetic antenna outside? Is there a way to check signal strength of the antenna? I figure if there's a signal at the end of the factory lead but none at the connection to the radio it might be the cable but don't know how (or if it's possible) to check signal strength.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Update:
The Xpress RCi had a signal all day today using CDint cable/factory antenna but it went away in the afternoon and will not come back.

I plugged in the magnetic antenna and immediately got a signal. Five minutes later that signal went away and won't come back (tried turning power off, pulling power cord, plugging/unpluggin antenna, etc).

I connected an older radio (SkyFi) to the CDInt/Factory antenna - no signal. I plugged the same radio into the magnetic antenna - immediate signal. Finally, plugged the same magnetic antenna into the Xpress RCi - no signal.

I'm thinking it may be a problem with the radio at this point - any other ideas?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
mattehoh
Neutral
I completed my XM installation yesterday. I used the ProClip mount and the cable from CD Int. Thanks for all the advice and how-to info in this and other threads, they were great advice. I'm very pleased to not have to use the very long-wired antenna.

For power, I used a 3 socket extension from the socket in the boot. I have it going under the rear seats, along the channel between the seats and resting in the storage net on the right side of the centre column. It *just* reaches and tucks into the net nicely.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:55 PM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got lucky by accident if getting the power from the lighter (under the wires not the plug itself) tends to fry devices. Although more of a mess - I ran power and ground from the battery to a relay. I connected the relay to a little fuse box. I trigger power on from the lighter socket wire. For devices that need it I put small toggle switches on the knee panel (radar detector, fog lights), and those that don't (garmin, XM) they just come on with the keyfob.

I have the cravenspeed garmin mount, with arms on both sides. (I think from cravenspeed if I recall, the kinda expensive but super nice black metal one that connects to the tach.). I just connected the XM sportster to one of the arms using that steel putty stuff in the tube. I then painted it with that rubberized spray coating. All looks like it belongs, and I can see both through the steering wheel.

I have the antennae extension recommended here to under the seat. I have had excellent reception but I think only one bar. I have not left my area yet. I had to take the seat completely out to do this. I ran the wire up the center console and up through the dash. It barely made it.

I can get a photo if anybody really wants.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Morgz
Neutral
Wish I had found this thread earlier. I just took half the dash/middle stack and speedometer out, only to find out I can not connect my "FM Adapter" cable I spent $25 on becuase of the funky antenna jack on the back of the stock mini radio.

Now I look under my passenger seat and see nothing but carpet. I will have to re-read about how some of you have fished the car's built in sattellite cable out from under the carpet somehow.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM
grimah1w
Neutral
CD int cable no work

Bit of a thread resurect...2010 MCS installed XM using ProClip mount, power through add a fuse and purchased the regular 174 cable from CD Int. easily located the pink connector under the passenger seat. Was willing to pull the seat bolts and shift it out of the way without disconnecting the airbag sensor, then removed the plastic cover wand the cable was right there. Connected 174 cable and powered up...no signal to my XM Edge. :-(. Connected XM supplied antenna and as soon as I did, signal was strong. Heck, didn't even have it on the roof by the passenger door as I was just testing. Rechecked using CD Int cable, double checked all connections...no signal.

Gave up on CD Int 174 regular connecting to Mini OEM Sat antenna cable and just ran the XM magnetic mount...little painful but wire is completely concealed. Placed XM antenna behind the mini antenna and ran the cable through the rubber seal into the roof, out toward back end of head liner, inside and along the weather strip down to right side trim, under trim, under seat, under sil of passenger door and under foot carpet to the center console hidden all the way to the proclip mount.

CD Int was great about offering return and refund and even returned my phone call on 4th of July. Wish I would have been successful with their product but wasn't.

Btw also tried the same cable with an active Sirius radio but that didn't work either!

Maybe the car's actual multi band antenna is bad? Don't know but the XM antenna is very subtle and I am satisfied...happy to have sat.

Will post a few photos later.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:59 AM
tmcmahon27
Neutral
Factory Antenna "No satellite signal"

Trying to get my XM onyx EZ to use the factory antenna, connected extension cable from CDI under the passenger seat and get "No satellite signal. The magnetic on from SiriusXM work no problem. Has anyone had the same problem?

Old 03-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I tried using it with my Sirius radio back in 2008 and it never would work. I gave up and just use my mp3 player with the 3mm audio in connector.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:45 PM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
I have a 2015 R56 (F56?) with navi. I don't have the plastic box under my passenger seat. It is just carpeted and I see what appears to be a sub under the seat.

Should I unscrew the seat and see if there is a cable under there?

Last edited by mvalpreda; 10-18-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by mvalpreda
I have a 2015 R56 (F56?) with navi. I don't have the plastic box under my passenger seat. It is just carpeted and I see what appears to be a sub under the seat.

Nope.

Check your passenger kick panel for the junction.
Pink connector.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by mvalpreda

Nope.

Check your passenger kick panel for the junction.
Pink connector.

But first, run your VIN through this site, and see if you have SAT PREP.

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Using the R55/R56 satellite antenna