Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio iPod connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
wonderland
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod connection

Currently in my Xterra, i have a $30 dollar cord that plugs from one of the jacks in the rear of my stock nissan radio to the glovebox where it plugs into my IPOD keeping it charged up and allowing it to be controlled by the stock Nissan radio. By doing this I never have to take the Ipod from the glovebox and it is always charged.

The MINI problem is this; the dealer wants to hit me up for $500 for the ipod/bluetooth adaptor plus more for installation. I am not an audiophile, but if I were to get the same $30 adapter and plug it into the rca jack in the back of the stock MINI stereo, wouldn't that allow me to control it from the stock controls?

I don't care about the bluetooth.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wonderland
but if I were to get the same $30 adapter and plug it into the rca jack in the back of the stock MINI stereo, wouldn't that allow me to control it from the stock controls?
No, to control it from the head unit you need the old iPod adapter. That costs about $250 + installation and makes the iPod look like a CD changer to the head unit. That solution works quite well for me.

Alternatly if you have an aux-in socket (another add on) you can play the iPod into that, but the radio doesn't control the iPod. I got a Giffin Autopilot which plugs into the lighter socket and the aux-in, with the iPod in the glove box. It has rudimentary controls, and it works for me, I use it instead of the iPod adapter in the 07.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:29 PM
StillK
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ipod jack

Wonderland

I purchased an auxiliary input Kit for my 03 Mini from the parts department (Mini). It basically contained a wiring harness that plugged into the back of the stock stereo (not an RCA jack). At the other end was a mini jack to run a cable to the Ipod headphone jack. The kit was relatively inexpensive - around $49 if I remember and relatively simple to install. The instructions said to run the wire into the side of the glove box - I drilled a hole in one of the blank spots of the switch panel so the input is easy to access. Can't imagine puting it in the glove box and having to run along cable. I think this works for all 1st generation. You then simply choose auxiliary (mode control on stereo) - the down side is you only have volume control - you have to choose the tunes on the Ipod as you normally would.

Last edited by StillK; 05-31-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:59 PM
jcaimbeul
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 question

I have a Creative Lab MP3 player and would like to know if there is an aux jack on the back of the stereo on an '04 Mini S?
Thanks