Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio AMP? - Alpine or JL Audio??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:44 AM
Boris
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in need of a 2 channel amp. Looking for high signal to noise ratio, low THD @ 4 ohms, and a power output of over 75W RMS. It will be used to power the 6.5" front component speakers. I perfer to have clarity and warm tones to the sound rather than LOUDness.

Currently, the model I have been looking at are the Alpine MRV-407 or JL Audio 300/2.
Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks.
Regards,
Boris

Old 08-06-2003, 12:08 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not that into the car audio world, so I don't know what brands give what sounds (that well).

I had a McIntosh MCC82 2x40 watt amp installed in my MINI for my front MB Quarts. Made a huge difference over just using the head unit. The McIntosh may be a little more expensive than the ones you mention, but not much. Could be hard to find, though.

It may only be 40 watts per channel, but at the same sound level as a more powerful JL Audio amp, the McIntosh had a much better sound. Yeah, it probably cannot reach the same top sound level as the more powerful JL Audio I compared it to, but it's loud enough for me.

If you can find a place to check out the baby McIntosh, do it.

Old 08-06-2003, 09:00 PM
ESP
1st Gear
Boris, either amplifiers that you choose so far are decent. I am very fond of JL Audio equipment and have created numerous systems recently using their amplifiers and speakers. I have also used Alpine amplifiers as they are a great value for the money and are always a reliable piece of equipment.

Speakers are as important as the amplifier to a degree. You are right that statistics and hard #s make a difference but you always have the unexplainable factor of this just sounds better than others. I would actually be more concerned with the overall characteristics of the speakers you are going to use, taking into account that all cars are different and all systems end up sounding different (even in same type of car with exact same components). Velvet mentioned MB Quart and McIntosh. McIntosh Amplifiers are very good pieces and you could not go wrong with one. I used to be a huge fan of MB quarts, even went as far as having special tweeters of theirs shipped from Europe for my personal install, but as of late any system I have heard has had highs that were just too bright and unnatural, for my taste atleast. (tuneable but only if you have the appropriate equalization available).

My plans for my Cooper are to run JL Audio XR component speakers, and some older Zapco Competition, Studio, or AG series amps (I have all of these laying around from past installs)

If I had list in order the Amplifiers I would want to use for any system I would have to say:

1. Zapco Competitions or Studio
2. Brax
3. JL Audio
4. McIntosh
5.Old PPI ProMos Series & Old PPI Art Series
6. Alpine
List kinda relfects my personal preferences, 1-4 could easily go in any order and I would be happy

HTH... let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:12 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
I agree with that list ESP poseted in terms of sound quality, but for die-hard reliability for many years down the road, I'd say Alpine tops the list. It may just be me, but I've had great luck with them.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:23 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I’m using a JL Audio 300 / 4 for my system and I’m extremely pleased with my overall systems performance.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
I've always been fond of MTX amps. They are ALWAYS underrated, which rocks my world. They come with an individual sound analysis complete with RMS values at various loads. My MTX Thunder4122 2 channel amps are rated at 60wattsx2 @ 4ohms but actually put out over 70RMS!!! I've got two of these, as they fit easily in the boot cubbies. One for the front and one for the sub. Rear speakers running off deck (Sony CDX-CA760x 52x4). The amp for the sub is bridged down to 2 ohms and is putting out a clean 200watts.

For the price, these amps are amazing and the quality is great.

R

Old 09-07-2003, 05:02 PM
rana
1st Gear
get a JL audio amp....this is because the JL puts out its stated wattage at voltages lower than 14.4.....on the alpine amps, as voltage drops, so does wattage...

(this was explained to me by a sales man at a local sound shop)