Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Plain-talk Bluetooth for MINI review

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plain-talk Bluetooth for MINI review

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would share my experience with the plain-talk bluetooth kit for a new R56 2007 Mini Cooper S.

I purchased the following product:

http://www.eurocarphone.com/index.htm?mini.htm

Which is a kit that comes from:

http://www.eiskits.com/index-old.htm

Summary:

Worth getting ? No. Work as advertised, No. A GPS with bluetooth does more and so does a bluetooth headset.

Details:

1. The kits comes complete. The wiring harness goes inline to the radio system. It is true plug and play. However to get the stero out in a 2007 R56 (No Nav), requires taking the entire dash apart. The time to install this kit is about 4.5 hours (to do it right and look factory and serviceable).

There are two modules that you have to hide somewhere in the car that is in reach of the harness. Warning, make sure keep the modules accessible since you may need to upload new firmware .... HINT, velcro works great and plenty of space under the dash on the left and right of the back of the dash on the driver side....

2. It does use the controls on the steering wheel (if you have them). However is does not work as advertised. I think this is dependent on the phone you use. However certain functions are standard on al phones and those should work, like last number redial.

3. Address book, forget it, you do not get one. This alone makes the kit useless !

4. Pairing, works great and every single time.

5. Sound quality, tops ! Plays through the stero speakers and can hear everything clearly at any speeds.

6. Docs and installation guide, No. There are no manuals worth a dime on how to install this into your car. I am lucky, I have a shop full of mechanic and machining tools, I am always reverse engineering stuff. Others, beware. If you have taken your dash apart in a R56, you know what I mean.

7. Support .... Well when I asked pre-sales questions, I was told what I wanted would work (I specially stated time and time again the make, model, year for the car and the phone I was going to use). When I asked for support on the problems that I was having, the answers I got where things like, "there is no support for address book", "I am not using it correctly", "try upgrading the firmware, contact Parrot for that ...." Oh come on folks !! I have it in writting that there is support for an address book .... Now there is not, argh .....

Bottom line, I put over 1000 miles on the car with the kit installed and as soon as the blue tooth retrofit is available from MINI, I will convert and toss this one in the trash. In the 1000 miles driven, I spent more time fumbling around with the phone than you can imagine.

I hope this helps other out thinking about this kit.

Cheers,
Roberto

Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Thanks for the information and sorry for your problems. I'll stick with the KISS solution of a bluetooth headset (works great!).

Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Bor
3rd Gear
I really like the Jabra SP5050 BT speakerphone - great quality and fits the MINI design

Got the Parrot setup with the adapter from my old R50 and don't really want to install it - will also wait for the OEM retrofit when/if it becomes available...

Old 01-06-2008, 02:59 PM
T-Horn67
2nd Gear
Funny.....everytime I think about the factory Bluetooth kit I get pissed. What a waste of money. I have a Treo 750 and it has never worked. I can get it to pair only when I clear the previous connection out and reset the phone but then it won't pair with my Jabra headset when I leave the car. Also, after about 10 minutes on non-use, it drops the connection and the whole thing has to be re-done.

I was told at the time of ordering that "all phones" would eventually be supported by BMW. To date, only 5 AT&T phones are supported.

What really gets me is that I didn't order leather and opted for the Bluetooth. I hope the long-awaited retrofit solves these problems or theres gonna be a bunch more frustrated folks!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
mhufe
Neutral
No dealer upgrade kit for bluetooth

I bought my MCS in June of 2007 with the understanding from the salesman that a bluetooth upgrade kit would become available in July. I REALLY wanted blue tooth. The response below was emailed to me by Mini of Towson:

"In terms of the Blue Tooth, the only option available is the Garmin System. I believe Evan mentioned this option back in July. MINI informed us in December that they do not plan on launching a Blue Tooth retrofit as was previously planned. Not exactly what any wanted to hear."

He's right. That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. I've been using a headset, but I only want BT for the car and don't like walking around with a headset.

Time to look for an alternate plan B.