Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Intravee II - iPod Adapter for 1st Gen MINIs with Factory Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 PM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the unit a little today. Does the screen of the ipod ever go off when the Ipod is in use?wondering if the screen will burn out with it being on for extended times.

I do not have the ability to use the -Advanced Search/enhanced features of the Intravee because I have the MKIII unit. I believe the search features are better if you have MKIV then you can set the Intravee to advanced regarding searches.

Where is the "clock" button??....you can assign the phone button and clock button to serve a function on the Ipod controls

Last edited by chicagolab; 12-03-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I'll have to check to see if my iPod's screen ever dims out when connected. I know for sure that it properly shuts off when the car has been switched off for a few minutes or so (as I've double checked that one).

As for the clock button... The MINI's don't have a clock button on their radio and so that feature doesn't function for the MINI. Remember that the Intravee is designed to work with LOTS of different BMW models (as well as the MINI) and so many of the BMW-specific features don't work in the MINI (such as setting the clock button function, syncing the clock with the GPS time, etc.).

I've requested over on the Intravee forums that the MINI be given a couple more customizable buttons in a future firmware. I hope that happens.

Lastly, it's too bad that you can't take advantage of the enhanced features of the MKIV (such as the Intravee's search feature) as they're pretty nice (not to mention the fact that the MKIV is leaps and bounds better than the MKIII as far as general nav functionality goes). Maybe you can hunt around for a used MKIV unit to add to your MINI. Upgrading an older MKIII system to the newer MKIV version is a 100% plug-n-play swap. The only problem is finding a MKIV unit for a decent price. Note that even the BMW branded MKIV units work just fine in the MINI as they are exactly the same.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey Chicagolab, care to give us an updated review?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:28 AM
101dals
2nd Gear
Compatible with OEM sirius?

Can I use the Intravee with the OEM sirius? I use the pass through port on the sirius so I have the same connectors. (I am currently running DICE). Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might have better luck posting your question here...

http://www.intravention.co.uk/forum/

Richard will probably know more about something like that. I believe that you can but it will require a different box.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by 101dals
Can I use the Intravee with the OEM sirius? I use the pass through port on the sirius so I have the same connectors. (I am currently running DICE). Thanks.
Yes, 100% compatible... because, just like the DICE, the Intravee simply emulates a CD changer, and that's what the passthrough is for.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 PM
101dals
2nd Gear
Thanks Edge! Hopefully you'll be enjoying your intravee soon!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
unable to use intravee

Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Hey Chicagolab, care to give us an updated review?
Unfortunately my Intravee is currently nonfunctional. I never really had a chance to use it very much. The Mini is my wife's daily driver. She never used the Intravee and didnt want to learn how to use it.

The Intravee is incapacitated for the moment because the connector that plugs into the Ipod was hanging and had fell into the rail of the driver seat. My wife moved the seat and crushed the connector that plugs into the ipod. They cable is now useless. I need a replacement cable but am having a hard time finding one. I may have to get another Alpine KCA 420i just to get the cable.

I will continue to look for a cable to get the set up working again.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Bugger! FWIW, I've seen the cable (I think that's the one) on ebay for <$20...

Old 12-21-2007, 01:38 AM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
cable

Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Bugger! FWIW, I've seen the cable (I think that's the one) on ebay for <$20...
There are similar cables on ebay but none that are the same as the one that comes with the Kca-420i. I went through the manual and Alpine's website and there is no part number that I could find. On ebay there are some that say they work with the Kca420i but they do not look exactly like the cable that I need. I am fearful of spending about $30 - $50 for a ebay cable that is similar and not exact. I may just get another KCA420i unit on ebay so I know the cable is the right one, because the unit wiht cable usualy goes for somewhere around $60 - $75. But, I will call Alpine directly first to see if the part can be ordered seperately.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Also, the Intravee works just like the 2nd gen OEM iPod adapter does except that it gives you search capabilities (which the OEM version does not). Personally, I think it's worth every penny and then some.
Does anybody know if these will work with 2nd Gen MINI's?

Old 12-27-2007, 05:22 AM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
this is nice. i'm glad i've been holding off on the dice. i'm gonna get one of these instead now. Does anyone know or has anyone tried to see if this will work with the new ipod touch or iphone? i think that would be my only concern, since i have the ipod touch.

edge you better get your car back soon.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:07 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
Does anybody know if these will work with 2nd Gen MINI's?
No, it will not work with the Professional system, at least to my knowledge. You might ask on their forums.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Intravee II owners - does the 'artists' scroll function allow you to start at the end? I have a lot of 'T' artists that I like, and wondering if I would need to scroll through all the others to get to them. The scroll wheel does a decent job of 'fast forward' when trying to get to the end of the list.
TIA.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 AM
daflake
6th Gear
It starts at the beginning, but you can scroll backwards. Typically I remember the number of an artist in that area and then quickly scroll to it before the refresh finishes.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
So I can scroll from A backwards to Z vs going through the alphabet? Thanks for the info.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Yeah, just turn the **** in the other direction. You are using the advanced search right?

Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Still haven't bought it, I'm just trying to convince myself to pry open my wallet - the backwards scroll helps.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:11 AM
daflake
6th Gear
With the advance search enabled, the list of artist names appears on the screen. You can then scroll forwards and backwards.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:56 AM
sadlersmead
Neutral
Hi Eric

If you can afford it - go for the Intravee.

The interface although fiddly at first really works well and you can do all the things you expect.

Searching may not be the best if you have loads of tracks but you can get round this by creating playlists.

Everything is hidden away, the mini interior looks totally standard to prying eyes & you control the ipod totally from the Nav buttons and MFSW. You only ever have to access the ipod if you want to add more tracks.

Cheers Paul

Old 01-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Just picked up a KCA-420i last night, so I'll be enjoying the integration soon. It really came clear last night as one of my album selections ended - dead air until I grab the ipod, turn on the light and try to find my next selection all while driving on a curvy mountain road. If nothing else, the Intravee will reduce my distracted driving!
I'll report in when it's all installed.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Wow. While no directions were included, I suppose a fortune cookie size paper could do it.
1)Plug
2)Play

Still have to get used to the controls, but that's pretty sweet.
Amazing that both the KCA-420i and the Intravee showed up today - go postwoman!

Pics and impressions to follow.

Hopefully we can get them to allow use of the third button on the 2 spoke MFSW to switch screens. That would be nice.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Eric,

Nice to see you finally bit the bullet. About darn time too, with all of your doubting & concerns! It's worth every penny, isn't it?

Don't forget to check for firmware updates from their site - they sure have made a lot of improvements ever since the product was first released to beta... and the improvements continue!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Yeah, I must admit it. Not sure which part is better - not having to turn on/off the ipod seperately, or being able to choose artist/playlist/album on the fly. I feel like a spoiled brat, but it sure is nice.
Went for a ride with wifey on Sunday. "Since when does the nav show what songs are playing?.....Did we get another toy for the MINI?"

Old 02-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Loving the intravee, but one issue - after a day or two, when I go to start the car the display shows 'No ipod'. If I disconnect and reconnect the ipod, it fires right up.
Anyone else having this issue?

My battery is 4+ years old, so I'm wondering if that might somehow be an issue...

Edit: Discovered that it's a 'deep sleep' issue with the ipod/KCA 420i interface. Still, anyone else deal with this, and what's your preferred solution?

Last edited by Eric_Rowland; 02-14-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Intravee II - iPod Adapter for 1st Gen MINIs with Factory Nav