Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio My Nuvi 660 GPS, Kuda mounted and hardwired

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:02 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That stinks! I wouldn't have noticed myself. I ended up using the female adapter since the traffic antenna is built into the plug. I'll make sure to put a warning footnote in my post.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Happy new year! Sorry I couldn't post pictures of how I ran my wiring until now. I was away on vacation. I missed my car more than I thought I would. I bought my car a new Garmin 680 from costco to replace the 660 that was stolen.

Anyway, nice install celica414. There are many ways to skin a cat (sorry pet-lovers). This is what I did.

I extended the Add-A-Circuit wiring around the back of the passenger footwell towards the center and connected it to the female adapter. This is where I connected my cigarette adapter plug and stuffed it under the center console in this space:

I then tucked the wiring around tucked under the edge of the center console and around the front tucked in the back of the center cubby to the driver's side footwell. I have the wires showing for the pic, but you can see how you can wedge it out of sight between the plastic panels:

Then I ran it up the panel under the steering wheel:

I pulled it out above here using a plastic coat hanger:

And then up the side towards the driver side dash trim:

And then to the Kuda mount from there behind the dash trim piece:

Alternatively you can pass it under the center console from the passenger to the driver's footwell, but it would be harder to redo if you travel often and need to take the original cigarette adapter plug with you. (Mine has a receiver built in for traffic updates.)

I removed this driver side paneling to get a view of the space underneath:

Like I said, there are so many ways to hardwire your GPS, and it's so much fun figuring things out as you go.

Last edited by lacning74; 01-02-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
celica414
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, it looks as though i have to take my car apart again.....i used the Garmin today for the first time and it was not charging (i had it plugged in for about an hour and i was actually losing battery charge) I don't know what could be wrong.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Brewmeister
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by celica414
well, it looks as though i have to take my car apart again.....i used the Garmin today for the first time and it was not charging (i had it plugged in for about an hour and i was actually losing battery charge) I don't know what could be wrong.
Check your connection at the cig plug adapter, if it has moved slightly the center contact connection may not be making contact. If you have a meter you can check for power at your connector prior to pulling the car apart again. This site may have the pin out you need http://pinouts.ru/GPS/garmin_nuvi_power_pinout.shtml

Last edited by Brewmeister; 01-02-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:42 PM
celica414
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Brewmeister
Check your connection at the cig plug adapter, if it has moved slightly the center contact connection may not be making contact. If you have a meter you can check for power at your connector prior to pulling the car apart again. This site may have the pin out you need http://pinouts.ru/GPS/garmin_nuvi_power_pinout.shtml
yeah, i just checked the connection at the female lighter adapter, we'll see if it works tomorrow when i take the car to work! I didn't notice it as loose, but i re-inserted it hoping that was the issue...otherwise, apart comes everything this weekend

Old 01-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, i just checked the connection at the female lighter adapter, we'll see if it works tomorrow when i take the car to work! I didn't notice it as loose, but i re-inserted it hoping that was the issue...otherwise, apart comes everything this weekend
If that wasn't it, check your ground connection and be sure all the fuses are good.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
ekailee
2nd Gear
Celica,
I would first check the voltage if you have a meter. If you don't and need to tear out your dash again, I would find an easier place to put the cig lighter socket. Reason: if there is any thing that would fail, it would be a a connecting point such as the plug into socket. Therefore it it should be accessible IMHO.
I will be doing my install this weekend.
Thanks to brewmeister for the pinout.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 PM
celica414
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ekailee
Celica,
I would first check the voltage if you have a meter. If you don't and need to tear out your dash again, I would find an easier place to put the cig lighter socket. Reason: if there is any thing that would fail, it would be a a connecting point such as the plug into socket. Therefore it it should be accessible IMHO.
I will be doing my install this weekend.
Thanks to brewmeister for the pinout.
Yeah, well thank god i have the cig. lighter just behind the vent, so all i have to do is pop off the plastic covering to gain access to it, for whatever reason though, it's still not working. I checked the voltage using the meter and it's picking up power, so i'm puzzled

Old 01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
celica414
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Brewmeister
This site may have the pin out you need http://pinouts.ru/GPS/garmin_nuvi_power_pinout.shtml
lol, what does the information on the chart even mean??????????

Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Yeah, well thank god i have the cig. lighter just behind the vent, so all i have to do is pop off the plastic covering to gain access to it, for whatever reason though, it's still not working. I checked the voltage using the meter and it's picking up power, so i'm puzzled
Did you check the ground also? Having voltage without a ground would also keep it from working.

Also does the GPS' power plug have a mini fuse inside it? Might check that if it does.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:58 PM
celica414
2nd Gear
well, it turns out my problem was that i had the ground wire and power wire coming from the female adapter backwards, i switched the ground and power, and now everything works!!!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
That's good nothing got fried and it's all working!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
ekailee
2nd Gear
I got my Kuda mount, Yeah
I ordered the wrong one, boo hoo.
Have to re-order and wait till next weekend.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:09 PM
celica414
2nd Gear
I got my Kuda mount, Yeah
I ordered the wrong one, boo hoo.
Have to re-order and wait till next weekend.
oh no, that's too bad. Which one did you order by mistake? My Kuda mount came quickly, so hopefully the right one will come just as quick for you!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
ekailee
2nd Gear
I ordered 92445 (Side Mount) and should have ordered 292445, the top mount. http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_an...07-34-529.html

Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Glad things worked out celica414.

Stinks about getting the wrong mount, ekailee. This really isn't good advice, but I order a batch of mods at a time so I have something else to keep me busy if I screw up an order or don't have the right tools. Otherwise, I would have to get a life. I still have an unopened set of front speakers. The mod bug is addictive and expensive.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
I ordered 92445 (Side Mount) and should have ordered 292445, the top mount. http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_an...07-34-529.html
I see Kuda has updated their site to include both lower mounts, one for Nav equipped, one without Nav.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Normally with that type of wire (lamp cord), one side of the wire has ribs on it. That one would be the ground. On a lamp, the side with the ribs is the neutral.

They might be hard to see, but you can feel them. If you look closely at the picture, it is the wire on the top. You can just make out the ribs in the wire.
Actually with the female adapter plug I used from Partsexpress, the one with the "ribbing" is power, and the one with writing on it when separated is ground. It should really come with instructions.

As in his thread, I noticed that bombboy was mislead when he installed his Sportster so I double checked which was which. When I installed mine, I didn't pay attention to ribbing or markings. I just tested the wires before connecting. This may have confused celica414 as well.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Actually with the female adapter plug I used from Partsexpress, the one with the "ribbing" is power, and the one with writing on it when separated is ground. It should really come with instructions.

As in his thread, I noticed that bombboy was mislead when he installed his Sportster so I double checked which was which. When I installed mine, I didn't pay attention to ribbing or markings. I just tested the wires before connecting. This may have confused celica414 as well.
It's good you were able to trace it out and figure which one was what. It's too bad they don't follow the standard for that type of wire.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Garmin 760 deal at Amazon

For those that have waited, the Garmin Nuvi 760 is selling for $350 at Amazon. My Garmin 680 seems so ancient.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
$349.99 at Costco as well.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:03 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
While my original Kuda mount location was perfect in terms of visibility while keeping you eyes on the road and in terms of an easy finger's reach, I couldn't resist trying a new location. I just double-sided taped the Garmin adaptor mount to the dash piece. More pictures in this thread.

It's not as easy to control with my left hand, nor is it as easy to see, but I like it's more stealth location for now. I also just received the new nav audio stereo interface form newministuff. I'll update y'all on the install. I'm actually looking forward to taking apart the dash again and removing the stereo. It definitely gets easier and more fun every time I do it. That goes for all my installs.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
k6rtm
4th Gear
Geez, if you think taking the dash apart is fun, you must love root canals!

I need to dig into mine this weekend for more ham radio stuff, plus swapping out the rear speakers. Start at the back and take everything out until you get to the firewall!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:43 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
I installed the nav audio interface from NewMiniStuff (ask for NAM discount). I actually enjoyed removing the sterero. The instructions were very clear. It mutes and plays through the front speakers when active. It still plays when the radio is off. You can't adjust the volume via the sterero **** though. I adjust accordingly via my Nuvi's controls. I also just hooked up my radar detector and laser jammer audio outputs to the interface. I learned the hard way you can't use a headphone jack splitter for inputs. Luckily I didn't fry any of my devices. I ended up getting the Mix-It2 device to mix the stereo and mono inputs safely with the appropriate ground isolation. It has a convenient volume **** as well. Oh yeah, the external microphone for the Nuvi that plugs conveniently to the bottom of the mount makes a big difference with it's bluetooth function. Audio integration is so cool but expensive.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
That's good to hear their interface works well. Nice to know there are options out there for those without the built in Nav!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio My Nuvi 660 GPS, Kuda mounted and hardwired