Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Repairing/replacing H/K amp???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Brian Bell
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repairing/replacing H/K amp???

I Live in the Chicago Illinois area. Suspect my HK amp is blown. The funny thing is it stopped working on a day that I had the volume very low as I was on a long commute with a friend; I normally blast it .

**** down people.....My MINI dealer (Bill Jacobs BMW/MINI) is asking $930.00 for a new amp; not installed!! !@#$%^%$##$%^&&^%$# .

Legalized theft if you ask me. Looking for a resource to repair or replace amp at a FAIR price.

If I can't find an amp for less that this I may just do a full upgrade to the whole system.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2007, 12:18 PM
LakeHelen
1st Gear
Just find a used amp from a used auto parts dealer (junk yard) install is very easy. I found one for $150
Put a request out on a online parts search engine, you will get some responses.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you out of warranty?? i got a new one for free when mine blew

Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 AM
laradams
1st Gear
Hi Brian

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I'm wondering what you decided to do. I'm in the same position now, but the dealer wants $961 (uninstalled) and can't find a used amp yet. Did you get a new system? How much did it cost to rewire and get new speakers, etc? What system did you get?

Thanks - Lara

Old 12-08-2008, 02:57 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
So I profit off problems like this...I sold mine and a buddies for about 400 bucks each. It cost me about 200 for a new Alpine 4-Channel amp, and about 400 for my component speakers and 2 6x9's All Infinity...

Then I sold my stock speakers (1 blown) for 100 bucks...

therefore the math for me was...

200 New Amp
400 New Speakers
100 New Wiring
(400) HK Amp
(100) HK Speakers
(150) HKenabler
-----
50 - New better speakers AMPed!

This workd out because I already had an aftermarket HeadUnit... So those go for around 150 id say...a good one about 200. Do your shopping.

Thats 200 bucks for a whole new setup, where as youd probably spend that just sourcing a used HK Amp which would have you using speakers that will blow out soon anyways. Hmmmm...

Take this as an opportunity to switch, or if your just that lazy to do some simple wiring in your car...drop me a PM and ill get you a HKamp with 45K+ and Ill have someone out here get the GREAT deal on an upgrade...

Think about it...I know you cant sell your amp, but why replace something that is overpriced anyways?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 AM
laradams
1st Gear
aarrgh

That really clears things up for me. I have a "friend of a friend" who offered to replace just the amp and do the necessary rewiring for some new speakers for $700 ish. I asked about the amp and he said it costs about $200-250, speakers $50 per pair. Does that sound reasonable to you?

A few more questions for the non-technologically saavy, if you don't mind sharing your expertise:

I don't have a new head unit. So replacing that, the amp, and the speakers would run me about $600, before labor fees, yes?

Problem is I was planning to sell my car in Dec. or Jan. While I don't want to stick the new owner with a faulty amp, I am worried it will be a selling liability to replace it with a non-h/k system for someone that knows nothing about these systems, like me. And I'm worried that someone will do a crappy install or have to modify the sidepanels, etc. Too much risk right before selling.

You said you thought you could find a used Amp and convince someone to upgrade. I would be willing to pay for a used one.

If I did replace the head unit, will the steering wheel controls still work properly? How involved is that wiring?

Thanks again for your input.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Like others have said start looking for a used one. I bought a perfectly good one off of Ebay for $150. Some try to ask more and sometimes get it but rarely.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by k_h_d
Like others have said start looking for a used one. I bought a perfectly good one off of Ebay for $150. Some try to ask more and sometimes get it but rarely.
One went for $635 the other day!

You can likely find one well below the replacement cost, though.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM
jgooch74
2nd Gear
I bought an H/K amp plus all the speakers and head unit and an aux. input for 250.00 off E-bay a few months back. just have to look around.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by laradams
That really clears things up for me. I have a "friend of a friend" who offered to replace just the amp and do the necessary rewiring for some new speakers for $700 ish. I asked about the amp and he said it costs about $200-250, speakers $50 per pair. Does that sound reasonable to you?
Yea, for a pro install, SOLD! especially for all that...Its not an easy job, nor a crazy hard one...the grommets on the door are a PITA, but do-able. Also, In my experience I had lots of trouble with Engine noise, so having someone who knows there stuff around is worth it!

A few more questions for the non-technologically saavy, if you don't mind sharing your expertise:

I don't have a new head unit. So replacing that, the amp, and the speakers would run me about $600, before labor fees, yes?
Yes, there abouts if you do your shopping

Problem is I was planning to sell my car in Dec. or Jan. While I don't want to stick the new owner with a faulty amp, I am worried it will be a selling liability to replace it with a non-h/k system for someone that knows nothing about these systems, like me. And I'm worried that someone will do a crappy install or have to modify the sidepanels, etc. Too much risk right before selling.

You said you thought you could find a used Amp and convince someone to upgrade. I would be willing to pay for a used one.

If I did replace the head unit, will the steering wheel controls still work properly? How involved is that wiring?

Thanks again for your input.
If you planning on selling your car, Id say just get the factory Amp, its gonna be more of a hassle and not worth the effort or money because the aftermarket will loose value so quick. Just like a car, you drive it off the lot and your already out 15%! I will ask around and see, in the meantime, seems lots of people are poking around Ebay, and Id post a WTB ASAP! Hopefully someone out there is your blessing in disguise...

Originally Posted by jgooch74
I bought an H/K amp plus all the speakers and head unit and an aux. input for 250.00 off E-bay a few months back. just have to look around.
DAAAAAMN....good deal.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:19 PM
laradams
1st Gear
Ugh! Thanks, all. I will look around for a replacement h/k for a little while. It seems like I just need to be patient and keep up a steady regimen of searching. I called my dealership today and asked if they were aware of any documented defects in the amp - said I was leery of replacing it with a new one when so many people have had issues. They seemed to look into it, but nada.

Meanwhile, I'll try to find some sort of repair shop here or elsewhere. I saw something online claiming to repair amps, but am worried about sending it off and never seeing it again. I realize in the end it is probably smarter to replace the whole thing, but I'm much too worried about other issues cropping up and my resale value. Maybe my baby just doesn't want to be sold

Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Jason987
Neutral
I seem to be having the same problem, I figure I'll just replace the whole thing myself as I am a very patient person with family willing to help.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Brian Bell
Neutral
I stared this tread 5 years ago. Looks like many have had my problem. I dropped off the forum after I resolved it because I'd not had any more problems. For the many people that have asked what I did; I went for a year with no sounds until I found a guy that was replacing his system. He sold me his "newer" amp for $100 . My mini is now 10 years old and because I have so many other vehicles I've only got 30k on her. Good luck to all who are seeking a new amp !!