Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Install OEM SIRIUS in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install OEM SIRIUS in Canada?

Hello all,

I exploring the possibilities of somehow installing Sirius into my Canadian spec MINI. I've seen that MINI USA offers it as a dealer installed option. We can get Sirius here at the consumer level, but I am not at all interested in additional gadgets and do-dads hanging around in my car - I want a clean, OEM look working through the head unit.

A few questions if I may:

1) Does the OEM Sirius use a replacement antenna base (replacing the regular AM/FM antenna pod), or is there one of those ugly warts on the roof. I'm after a clean look.

2) Does it work with the DPSM system?

3) Can I get the system activated in Canada? What is the cost to run it?

4) If someone has the part numbers, I can have my dealer see if they can order it.

Many thanks.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
1) Does the OEM Sirius use a replacement antenna base (replacing the regular AM/FM antenna pod), or is there one of those ugly warts on the roof. I'm after a clean look.
Yes, there is an OEM SIRIUS antenna available (seperate part number and expense) that replaces your regular antenna. The only limitation is that it is not compatible with the factory Nav system, because it does not contain a GPS antenna. If you have factory Nav (like I do), you do need one of those "warts" instead, for your antenna.
2) Does it work with the DPSM system?
Absolutely - the OEM SIRIUS reciever connects to your CD changer cable, so it has nothing to do with DPSM itself. SIRIUS Receiver = input... DPSM = output. Different parts of the stereo system.
3) Can I get the system activated in Canada? What is the cost to run it?
I have no idea if you can activate it in Canada, but if SIRIUS lets Canadians set up an account for other receivers, I don't see why there'd be a problem with a MINI OEM one - to them, it's just another ESN, like any other receiver!
4) If someone has the part numbers, I can have my dealer see if they can order it.
Sorry that I don't have the part numbers handy, but a quick search in this forum using "SIRIUS" as the key word will certainly give you results!
Many thanks.
You're welcome!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:36 AM
hunter99
4th Gear
Just a note. On the later '06's they no longer incorporated the antenna in the radio antena base. The Sirius setup uses a stick on antenna that is placed behind teh stock unit. The reason I was given was reception but I have doubts about it.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:41 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by hunter99
Just a note. On the later '06's they no longer incorporated the antenna in the radio antena base. The Sirius setup uses a stick on antenna that is placed behind teh stock unit. The reason I was given was reception but I have doubts about it.
We typically place the antenna on the lid behind the OEM antenna or on the dash.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Thanks for the input thus far.

Originally Posted by tom @ eas
We typically place the antenna on the lid behind the OEM antenna or on the dash.
But you would still end up with a visible wart antenna, correct?

Sucky that they changed the design of the antenna. I wonder if I can still get a hold of one of the older, integrated designs...

Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Thanks for the input thus far.

But you would still end up with a visible wart antenna, correct?

Sucky that they changed the design of the antenna. I wonder if I can still get a hold of one of the older, integrated designs...
You do, the antenna can be placed on the rear deck inside the vehicle if you wish.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:05 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Does anyone know pn# for oem Sirius antenna base?
I have an 06 MCS, and want NO wires or "warts" sticking out. I want a clean no clutter oem look, no do-dads, gadgets, chargers, etc.