Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Changing the voice on Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No british voice yet?????

Old 07-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Hey ol' chap? Where is the bloody brits???

Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Are the British coming or what?

Old 09-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Are the British coming or what?

Old 09-07-2007, 02:11 PM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope

Old 09-07-2007, 04:28 PM
naffets
3rd Gear
This is all interesting as my 02 which I bought 2 months ago from the dealer that has had it since 02(owner drove it) has the British female and French Female voices only.

I've got 3-150 is the sw version.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:04 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
i wish. my girl says quawtah instead of quarter.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by naffets
This is all interesting as my 02 which I bought 2 months ago from the dealer that has had it since 02(owner drove it) has the British female and French Female voices only.

I've got 3-150 is the sw version.
The 1st gen MINI's can be changed, we know that as it's well documented.

BUT, can we change the NAV voice on the R56???

Gabe, CALLING GABE!!! Your buddy in the plant have any "secret" info for us??

Old 09-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Nigel of Havre de Grace
Neutral
R56 Voices

I picked up my BRG 07 Cooper two weeks ago from Towson's MINI in Baltimore. The current sat nav voice choices are US English, Spanish, and French.

I too would love to have a Brit voice onboard.

Before I ordered the car I researched other sat nav options. The aftermarket GPS system TOM TOM has some wonderful voices to choose from, including John Cleese cautioning you if you go over the speed limit for the road you are on ("Pity about that cat back there..."). But I chose OEM sat nav: wife and brother both said it was worth the extra cost.

Oddly, I used my sat nav today to find local hardware stores, and the first two I drove to turned out to be private residences - not stores at all! What the hey?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Nigel of Havre de Grace
Neutral
NAVI modifications I'd like to see

Having had the Cooper all of two weeks now, there are some modifications to the NAVI system that I would like to see, and maybe other folk here can suggest a few too.

Who knows, maybe BMW reads these posts and might impliment a few changes?

1. Produce a plastic cheat sheet of NAVI icons and voice commands.

2. I drove past a historical marker today, sort of a "Stonewall Jackson was shot here" kind of thing. It would be *so sweet* if the sat nav voice could read the text aloud to you as you drove by the marker. The feature could be toggled on/off by the driver.

I love my Mini!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by Nigel of Havre de Grace
Having had the Cooper all of two weeks now, there are some modifications to the NAVI system that I would like to see, and maybe other folk here can suggest a few too.

Who knows, maybe BMW reads these posts and might impliment a few changes?

1. Produce a plastic cheat sheet of NAVI icons and voice commands.

2. I drove past a historical marker today, sort of a "Stonewall Jackson was shot here" kind of thing. It would be *so sweet* if the sat nav voice could read the text aloud to you as you drove by the marker. The feature could be toggled on/off by the driver.

I love my Mini!
In regards to item 1. I scanned/printed the voice commands section from the back of the manual. I keep it in my door pocket. The unit will only display icons from your last search so you shouldn't need to know all of the icons as only the icons for the last search are displayed.

I'd be happy to email the scanned PDF document to anyone that wants it. Just send me the request via PM and include your email addy.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
I'd be happy to email the scanned PDF document to anyone that wants it. Just send me the request via PM and include your email addy.
Click on the paperclip icon in your reply to attach a file, if you'd like to upload it here and make it available to everyone.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:08 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by pastabatman
Click on the paperclip icon in your reply to attach a file, if you'd like to upload it here and make it available to everyone.
Thanks, that is a much easier alternative. It'll save me time and everyone else time as well. The PDF should be attached to this post.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mini Voice Commands.pdf (1.33 MB, 509 views)
Old 09-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Simpson, thanks for the scan.

As for changes to the NAV software, I have a L-O-N-G list!!!

The biggest two that just kill me on a daily basis are:
1. Why can't I simply search for the name of something, without selecting a location, or type of place (business, entertainment....)? Half the time I can't even figure out what catagory to search under??? For example, todays debacle, how do you find the location of a Sign shop? I didn't know the exact town, so I had to try 3 or 4 different towns, and 4 different catagories for each town before I found the place on my own. I should have been able to just type in "J Signs" and hit search!!!

2. Why can't the location "CITY", and more importantly "STATE" fields auto populate with the current city and state when starting a search? I live in NY and have to scroll all the way 3/4 of the way down 50+ statesand country names to get to NY, EVERY single time I search for something?????!@#!@$#@%$#$%$% Probably 3 times a year, I will need to search for something in a different state. The other ten thousand times, PLEASE POPULATE IT WITH THE STATE I'M IN!!!!! I don't care to look up restuarants in Arkansas when I'm hungry and on the road!!!

2. Why can't we select an icon on the screen with the point and shoot crosshairs, and get info on it (like name and address, and/or add it to the destination....

2. Use REVERSE fonts for menu selections instead of changing colors from Green, Orange and white with different size fonts and icons!@$#$!@#!! Just simply inverse the selected item PLEASE!!! Man would that make it easier to see what your selecting.

2. When you bring up the "Route List", why can't we select an item in the list and then click "Avoid"? For example, I am navigating to a location that normally requires to go down Bayberry Rd, and I hate to drive down Bayberry rd because my old psycho girlfriend still lives on that road and I avoid it like the plague. I would like to go to rout list, scroll down to the "Bayberry rd" item, then click "Avoid" and the system would re-calc a route around the psycho!! ;-)

2. Why can't I save a phone number when saving a new destination to the address book, so I can then dial that # from the bluetooth, as I can do with the built in POI's??

2. Should I keep going?

Ok, I'll leave it at just 2 for now!!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdman
1. Why can't I simply search for the name of something, without selecting a location, or type of place (business, entertainment....)? Half the time I can't even figure out what catagory to search under??? For example, todays debacle, how do you find the location of a Sign shop? I didn't know the exact town, so I had to try 3 or 4 different towns, and 4 different catagories for each town before I found the place on my own. I should have been able to just type in "J Signs" and hit search!!!
This is also an issue with my R52 Nav, and I'm so disappointed to hear that there has been no improvement with the R56. There are major businesses I cannot even search for, like OfficeMax or Staples (not listed under any categories). I wouldn't be surprised if the information is actually catalogued on the disc, and it's just the lame interface that doesn't offer you a way to search for it.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Yes, they are all catogorized on the disc, it is the softwares problem it won't let you do a simple name search for things.

The problem with the catagories is, what catagory would you put a Sign shop in??? They make Auto decals, like MINI bonnet stripes, so it could be under Auto stuff. They make bussiness signs, so it could be under business stuff, but what type of business, shopping? Services? they make personal sings also, so it it business services or personal services, or should it be both or all of above.....

All the reason I should just be able to put in "J Sings" and Ny should default as search state (since that's my current location), and hit SEARCH. It's NOT a rocket science.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:28 PM
yorkslad
Neutral
Hello there,

Picked up my new Cooper Diesel today and was a bit disappointed it had a British female accent. Does anyone know how I can get the American male voice? Do I have to make a copy of the Nav DVD and change some files with someone who has American version.

Any help, greatly appreciated

Old 10-25-2007, 03:36 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
AFAIK, the nav voices aren't on the map data disc but rather in the firmware. At this point there's no way to access the firmware of the nav system in the new 2nd gen cars (as there is on the old 1st gen cars). Thus, you're out of luck I'm afraid (unless you can get your dealer to reprogram your nav system as an American version).

BTW, it's funny that the Americans (with the female American voice) want the British (female) voice, and the Brits (with the female British voice) want the American (female) voice. Ha!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by yorkslad
Picked up my new Cooper Diesel today and was a bit disappointed it had a British female accent.
That's the first mention I've seen of British voice on the R56. Even in the UK, the R56 Nav was being shipped with American accent when it first came out, (some UK owners complained about it on MINI2). On NAM there have been people who want British accent but nobody knew whether it even existed.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM
yorkslad
Neutral
My mistake guys, the computer voice is female british not american male but the sat nav is american female....what confusion....just want the american male computer voice and male sat nav voice

Sorry if I got anyones hopes up for british female nav

Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
any updates on an old British Nav voice thread

shoot..... I was hoping to update my new 09 with a british voice