MTTS 2008 Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had assumed there'd just be a line to drive the jcw cars. do you NEED to sign up ahead of time?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 PM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
I would call Amanda at South Bay for better information.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by leslie
It looks like I may be rolling solo.
or not.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM
leslie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dave
or not.
Darn. I was planning on selling your goody bag to the highest bidder and taking your share of the surprise we're supposed to get during tomorrow's rally.

jk.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by roaduscarnivorous
i had assumed there'd just be a line to drive the jcw cars. do you NEED to sign up ahead of time?
I asked someone tonight at Jillian's about that. She said they have a fleet of cars and that we'd just stand in line and take them out right then. She said there would not be a sign-up sheet or appointment times.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 PM
howdyem
2nd Gear
awesome!!! thanks for the good news sowellman!!

do ya'll think we might experience the traffic that chicago got during the rally? i don't want to miss out on stuff since i'm only going on saturday...

Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by howdyem
do ya'll think we might experience the traffic that chicago got during the rally? i don't want to miss out on stuff since i'm only going on saturday...
I've been on the road since last Saturday and didn't pay attention to the reports out of the Chicago gathering.

Are you coming up for the morning road rally starting at one of the UCLA parking lots? Hope to see you there. I'll be in the Mellow Yellow Cooper with Oregon plates.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 PM
howdyem
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
I've been on the road since last Saturday and didn't pay attention to the reports out of the Chicago gathering.

Are you coming up for the morning road rally starting at one of the UCLA parking lots? Hope to see you there. I'll be in the Mellow Yellow Cooper with Oregon plates.
we've been debating on whether to go for the rally or go straight to pasadena... after reading that people at chicago were in traffic for 3 hours kinda made me hesitant... but i'm sure it'll be fun nevertheless since we'll be surrounded by other minis! i just don't want to miss out on stuff at pasadena ... but i also don't want to miss what this surprise and delight is!!!

i'll keep a lookout for you sowellman! i'll be the one with a checkered top, and a milk carton sticker on the back

Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by howdyem
after reading that people at chicago were in traffic for 3 hours kinda made me hesitant... but i'm sure it'll be fun nevertheless since we'll be surrounded by other minis! i just don't want to miss out on stuff at pasadena
I hear you on that. They told us tonight the drive itself should take about two hours, but that they expected people to stop and look at the sites and that there would probably only be a few miles at the beginning where it would seem like a convoy.

Because this rally is starting in Los Angeles, I think it would be fairly easy to peel off if it seemed to be going too slow and head for Pasadena. Whichever choice you make should be a good one. I'll keep an eye out for you, too. And the other 1,000 or so Minis that should join us.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:03 AM
howdyem
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
Because this rally is starting in Los Angeles, I think it would be fairly easy to peel off if it seemed to be going too slow and head for Pasadena. Whichever choice you make should be a good one. I'll keep an eye out for you, too. And the other 1,000 or so Minis that should join us.
That's a good point! Sounds like you helped make up my mind... see you at the rally!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
@ Jillians Bianca and I (Motoring|Underground)

Motoring | Underground had our own caravan we met at 9:00 and departed shortly after, we got there at 9:45, we were the first MINIs to pull in everyone was still setting up!

See everyone at South Bay tomorrow!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Went today as well...Arrived early just after the I motoring guys about 10:00...Got to drive most of the cars early on the autocross and talk to a few folks...Great to see all the Mini's come motoring in after the rally..great assortment of cars...The vendor section was kind of dissapointing,but overall it was just a nice time with some really nice folks...Glad I went...

Old 08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
yellowbritishrocket
Banned
here is a vid of me doing the MINI Cross in a Clubman S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8QHbH4Seo8

Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great video Roger! So how do you think the Clubman did?

Donna

Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Lesson of the day: Turn on your headlights on the Angeles Crest. At least two drivers were ticketed on today's trek, one by a CHP and another by a U.S. Forest Service police officer.

I didn't recall the sign on the way up saying it was mandatory. Glad I followed the order, anyway. On the way back, the sign said the order was "strictly enforced."

Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
MINImizeMe
2nd Gear
My Co-pilot said something about the mandatory headlights. I was concentrating on the turns and thought it would be too dangerous to fiddle with controls. I guess I was lucky not to get noticed

Old 08-05-2008, 11:51 PM
yellowbritishrocket
Banned
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
Great video Roger! So how do you think the Clubman did?

Donna
funny thing about the clubby is i was cornering it hard enuf to almost kick the rear out...you could really feel like it was wanting to

Old 08-06-2008, 07:31 AM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
I was on the Saturday run and was curious if anybody knew the reason cars were being tuned back on Topanga Canyon after the State Park stop. It was crazy after we were all "off the map". MINI's everywhere in every direction. I was lucky that I knew the area a little, but some were clearly lost.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mcarlo52
I was on the Saturday run and was curious if anybody knew the reason cars were being tuned back on Topanga Canyon after the State Park stop. It was crazy after we were all "off the map". MINI's everywhere in every direction. I was lucky that I knew the area a little, but some were clearly lost.
Yes, one of the Minis was in a wreck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mini_jen/2728621592/

Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if you got past the wreck on Topanga and up to the park, the drive up the mountain to the park was horrendous. Several miles of stop, crawl a car length and stop again on a steep uphill probably caused about 1,000 miles worth of wear to most MINIs' clutches. I know the parking area at the top absolutely REEKED of burnt clutch. And by the time we got there, there was no water or ice creams left. Got my medallion though.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
does anyone know the story w/ that wreck? it was really sad and looked bad, but doesn't look like the people were hurt

Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
yellowbritishrocket
Banned
what happened was a dodge truck driven by an idiot made a left turn coming out of a side road and didnt look both ways and just pulled out...the driver hit the brakes but it was too late....wasnt her fault as the idiot crossed her lane

Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
My wife overheard someone talking about two BRG MINIs in separate accidents but I wasn't sure. It really put a damper on the rest of my weekend when I heard that but hoped it was just a rumor. Very sad to know now it was true. Hope no one was hurt.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
LA traffic is a nightmare. Sounds cool to host such an event in LA but the amount of traffic on that route was a crawl not a rally. I think the whole thing would have been more fun if we could have a route that didn't chop us up into little pockets because of all the lights and traffic, even on the cayon road we were always stuck behind an suv that crawled along and there were no passing spots. Needs to be a better venue not in LA county with the worst traffic.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WLSH BST
LA traffic is a nightmare. Sounds cool to host such an event in LA but the amount of traffic on that route was a crawl not a rally. I think the whole thing would have been more fun if we could have a route that didn't chop us up into little pockets because of all the lights and traffic, even on the cayon road we were always stuck behind an suv that crawled along and there were no passing spots. Needs to be a better venue not in LA county with the worst traffic.
Absolutely agree. I think a better place could be somewhere near the Bay Area. Infinion raceway is up at the top of the Bay and there are plenty of nice roads somewhat away from the major population centers. It would unfortunately take away some of the thunder from the Magical Mystery Mini Event that's being planned in early September.
By the way, noticed you car in one of the parking lots (Rosebowl, I think), very nice.

Quick Reply: MTTS 2008 Los Angeles