Motoring Underground The Motoring Underground club forum. Visit our club site at www.motoringunderground.com

iDiaz defense fund?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:55 PM
M1N1GUN
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
That doesnt really act as a very accurate critique of his philosophy on part purchases. I think he is probably smart enough to know that your imaginary part would be BS. But he is partially right....we all know that certain intakes are legitimate and will produce some power. So no matter what, he will be getting a real gain of HP. Whether or not its the highest we cant necessarily tell......but the HP numbers arent THAT different. So he might miss 2-5 HP if he chooses wrong, he could sell it and buy a new one or just keep it because even pro- drivers wouldnt be able to truly feel 2 HP differences.

If you want to tease someone...please atleast offer him the dignity of an accurate analogy.
Really, & I honestly thought the gearknob was the weak link in our cars.

The point I was trying to make is that many people don't want to spend large amounts of money buying/replacing products that promise a lot & deliver little. All I would like (& many others on this forum, it seems) are some real results that show what a particular product is actually capable of - why the original shootout thread was started, no? Although this is NAM, you have to remember that not everyone here is in the US, & we rely on the automotive knowledge & experience of people here to make informed decisions on potential purchases of product from your backyard. You are right, I will probably not feel a 2HP difference but I sure as hell would notice a $200 dollar difference!

I have nothing against MSFIT, or yourself, you can spend your money however you like. I on the other hand would rather avoid a costly mistake and make the right decision first time... Something that is made much easier with legitimate analysis as I have no way to experience these products first-hand, unlike yourselves.

P.S.
It's nice to see this ridiculous conflict finally being resolved, with talk of lawsuits hopefully being abandoned for good.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M1N1GUN
Really, & I honestly thought the gearknob was the weak link in our cars.

The point I was trying to make is that many people don't want to spend large amounts of money buying/replacing products that promise a lot & deliver little. All I would like (& many others on this forum, it seems) are some real results that show what a particular product is actually capable of - why the original shootout thread was started, no? Although this is NAM, you have to remember that not everyone here is in the US, & we rely on the automotive knowledge & experience of people here to make informed decisions on potential purchases of product from your backyard. You are right, I will probably not feel a 2HP difference but I sure as hell would notice a $200 dollar difference!

I have nothing against MSFIT, or yourself, you can spend your money however you like. I on the other hand would rather avoid a costly mistake and make the right decision first time... Something that is made much easier with legitimate analysis as I have no way to experience these products first-hand, unlike yourselves.

P.S.
It's nice to see this ridiculous conflict finally being resolved, with talk of lawsuits hopefully being abandoned for good.

My response is just for the sake of a fun conversation, please do not feel flamed or anything.

I agree that you should avoid a costly mistake. Which is why i would never buy that gear **** you suggested . But the point MSFIT and I were/are making is that when it comes to Air intakes, you can't really make a mistake. Although the shootout hasnt been posted, you know (from people's reviews) that the intakes in fact produce horsepower. The only thing the shootout will show is which one has MORE hp. Chances are (I dont know the results despite the fact that im on the team) the numbers will be rather close. So it is impossible to make a financial mistake in choosing between the intakes. You will probably spend around 200-300, but no matter what you will be about the same HP.....you really can't go wrong. Deiciding which one would be the "right" decision really isn't that big of a deal because the "wrong" decision will give you just a tiny bit less horsepower....but you are sitll gaining power, noise, and throttle response regardless.

If money is your big determining factor, HAI is probably your best bet. If HP is your absolute determiner, you will wait for the shootout to squeeze out every possible pony. If you want a nice gain, a nice sound, and are willing to shell out some money for a nice intake (this is probably the case for most of the people on here...they dont NEED every little HP for a super MINI, and are still willing to spend a little money) then you really can't go wrong in choosing any of the name-brand(include the HAI here) intakes.

The real fact of the matter is, any of these intakes will be better than stock. You pay some money and you get some HP....it is not possible to pay some money and get 0 HP (what i would deem a "mistake") as long as you are buying some sort of device that resembles the intake setups. So really MSFIT's philosophy of buying one without every little detail really isn't as "risky" as many people might think it is.

I guess a good analogy would be a pizza. You know you like pepperoni, so you have atleast SOME information about what will be on the pizza when you order it (cheese, sauce, pepperoni) and you are able to order it without fear that you have made a mistake. You like pepperoni, so it will quench that urge for pepperoni.People, however, do not find it neccessary to request that the chef explain to you every single ingredient. Because it is a pizza and contains the ingredients you are looking for (again, cheese, sauce, pepperoni), the other little touches that the company adds are much less consequential in your satisfaction. You may like one company better than others, but the other companies are still able to deliver a satisfying pizza.

Anyways, i'm rambling. I just like a good discussion on philosophies like this.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to the M|U forum

Mark

Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks!!!....not just for the move, but for the section on your webpage. We are all very grateful.