MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

yalla yalla stories

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 10:01 AM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yalla yalla stories

First off I want to say thanks to the mini5280 folks Jon, Rick, Nick and Kendall, in addition to the other organizers and sponsors of this event! This was my first car rally experience, and needless to say I will be back for more given how much fun I had. It takes some serious time and planning to organize such an event (with three different routes no less!), so those of us who participated should acknowledge and thank these folks, in addition to patronizing the sponsors with our money and recommending them to fellow motorers.

Here are a few observations/thoughts from my perspective as co-driver in the Lotus piloted by Mr. Webb:

-Randy is the best driver I have ever been in a car with, period.

-The Elise is a sick car, especially in Randy's hands. Hearing the exhaust reverberate off the canyon walls with the engine at full boil up Turkey Creek road (which we had completely open and free of traffic) was simply awesome!

-Co-driving is harder than it appears, but super fun as well. After some initial stomach queasiness from reading notes and questions at a rather quick pace (those of you in Minis who saw a brief flash of tangerine orange know what I'm talking about), I found my "sea legs" and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I always thought I could only be Colin McRae and be in control of the car (e.g., I really don't like it when friends with fast cars try to scare me with their driving "prowess" because they know I can drive quickly), but learned how be Nicky Grist and assist the driver to do his job. Trust in the driver is a huge factor here... This could be a bit of a philosophical stretch, but the experience really was a good lesson in the Buddhist philosophy of accepting, appreciating, and learning from the situation.

-Inertia is a good thing, especially when you're out of gas and need to descend 17 miles down Golden Gate Canyon. Using ONLY the inertia generated by going downhill, we actually passed an SUV with the Elise in neutral! It was also interesting to feel the handling dynamics of the car around corners with no application of the throttle -- it's not a common experience and makes you realize how much the throttle is an important element in cornering.

There's certainly more I could write, but let's hear some other stories / experiences from the event!

BTW, would someone be willing to e-mail (micahbones@yahoo.com)/post the route sheets for future motoring fun?

Old 09-26-2005, 10:03 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
I trust you checked

your shorts....

Old 09-26-2005, 10:08 AM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jsouz
your shorts....
I made sure to strap on some Depends ahead of time

Old 09-26-2005, 07:03 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Thanks to you and all the others

Yalla Yalla 2005 was a blast! Pictures are posted at

www.DragonTales.smugmug.com

for your enjoyment.

JPS

Old 09-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Embalmer
2nd Gear
Holy batman, what was that????

My response when Randy shot past us going 160 mph. I just knew we would have to pass the hat again to help him with the ticket...or to bail him out of jail Our hardest part of the ride was finding a red/orange aspen leaf. Every time I saw one, it was too late or we needed a ladder to get it. Finally above Blackhawk, David spotted one. I made him climb up the hill to get it and he almost didn't make it back down! We would like to thank everyone who had anything to do with this years Yalla Yalla. What a fun time! I met a lot of new faces and I hope to see them at some of the other activities the club continuously puts together. On a more somber note, Jonathan, you have put so much into this club. I just wanted to let you know that I will miss having you as president but hope to see you on the "other" side at events. You did a fantastic job and your big shoes will be hard to fill. Nancy

Old 09-27-2005, 02:49 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Thank you for the kind note

You know that I have done what I have done out of desire and interest in the MINI community. More than that perhaps is the reward I get - when someone like yourself says 'thank you'. That is enough to keep anyone enthusiastic and warm.

I am not going away, not selling the MINI (still trying to get Darcy to see the economics of a convertible) and still involved.

One thing that I did not say (and Mark Ferguson did not say either) is that we are working on a large Regional then National event for the Denver / Colorado area, and that will take time. I have offered to help with this and therefore that, and the club - are too much at once.

Rick will do a great job, I hope he has your support.

JPS

Old 09-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Embalmer
2nd Gear
passing the baton

Rick is such a great choice to replace you. He is always helpful, funny and just a great person. Glad to hear you will remain active in the club. NB