MINI Owners of New Jersey (MONJ) The MONJ Club Forum. Visit our club site at clubs.hemmings.com/miniownersofnj

Anyone down South Jersey?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:31 PM
AirBss9
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RallyMINI,
You probably know it but, if you make reservations on line, you get on the ferry first and off first.

As far as the October Run, we just send out a notice, a meeting point, a route and where we will meet at the end. Also just depends how complex it has to be... just a meet and greet at the start and end or we can make a Bar-B-Que at the end. Parvin and Bellplane have pits available.
Just how hard do you wan to make it.

My suggestion is don't make it any harder than it is. Simple is better for the first time. See how it works out

Old 09-09-2007, 07:14 AM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mini run

Do people bring 2-ways so they can talk to each other? Or not worth the trouble?

Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 AM
jefflaw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcn
Do people bring 2-ways so they can talk to each other? Or not worth the trouble?
The few runs I've been on, most people had the 2-way radios. Helpful if you've got a lot of cars to let the leader know that the back end of the line has/has not made a turn/light/stop sign/etc.

Jeff
"Dorothy" '06 MC BRG/W
#151 in the GWRR

Old 09-09-2007, 05:21 PM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
Good to know!

I'll check in for brand/model suggestions before my first run, and make a trip out to Radio Shack or Best Buy or wherever...

Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
AirBss9
1st Gear
Radios are a good idea. Motorola makes a small low power output (5W and less)anything over that will require an FCC license. Don't make this to hard, else we won't get many takers. It is, I hope going to be fun and not to much work. If we lay out the Route, with turns and land marks, it is more of a rally kind of run, not including the time factors.Just got back from my first over the road trip with my new mini (Baltimore and back to visit my son)...He is now a Mini Fan. I LOVE IT!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:51 AM
jefflaw
2nd Gear
I'll check in for brand/model suggestions before my first run, and make a trip out to Radio Shack or Best Buy or wherever...
I have the Motorolas, but any of the low watt cheap walkie talkie radios will work.
Jeff
"Dorothy" '06 MC BRG/W
#151 in the GWRR

Old 09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
Cool, thanks... Look forward to hashing this out a bit over the next few weeks...

Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Keep us posted, we might want to go south one of these days. I know there are plenty of roads to explore down along the bay.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:50 PM
AirBss9
1st Gear
anything going on?
Just got back in town. I am home for the week end then off again. Each trip getting longer and farther away. I will be out of pocket for most of the remainder of Sept. and Most of October.

Are we anywhere with the ride in October?
...it looks fairly quiet

Last edited by AirBss9; 09-15-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:16 AM
AirBss9
1st Gear

Here is an idea for a grill badge for the October Run. Just an idea.

Last edited by AirBss9; 09-15-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:22 AM
jefflaw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AirBss9
anything going on?
I may head over to the Hagley Car Show in Wilmington on Sunday. Supposedly, they are to have over 600 cars/trucks & motorcycles on display.
Jeff
"Dorothy" '06 MC BRG/W
#151 in the GWRR

Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 AM
AirBss9
1st Gear
Sweet. Count the Minis...also anything Coooooooooooooool.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Alex@Helix
Former Vendor
whens the october run?

Old 09-15-2007, 03:59 PM
AirBss9
1st Gear
No idea. It is just in the planning stages right now. I would like to do it around the 27th of October. That is good for me, but others will have to weigh in on dates that are good.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:06 PM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
10/27?

10/27 is good for me.

Is this the start of our planning phase?

PS - Are mini runs "rain or shine?"

Old 09-16-2007, 12:08 PM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
Another PS

That's a GREAT grill badge!

Old 09-16-2007, 05:34 PM
AirBss9
1st Gear
OK.10/27 sounds good.Yup, this is the start of the Planning Phase. Rain or Shine is OK with me.Take a look at Phila Mini Club Rally rules. Thats a good model to follow, I think.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
I went to Phillymini.org, but didn't see the rally rules there. ¿?

Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
I don't know that there are any hard rules to a rally. Just commomn sense stuff.

You know, "It's not a race." Keep the group together as much as possable"
That kind of stuff.

Planning usually centers around the route and making sure the route is not interuppted at the last minute. Which means you have to go out and run it as close as possable to the actual date to make sure the Dept of Trans did not decide to tearup the road or rip out a bridge you plan to use.
Planning reststops and lunch stops.

But never having planned a large rally I am really just spouting off here.
Hay, What do I know!? I just ride them I don't plan them.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:25 PM
jefflaw
2nd Gear
From PhillyMINI website:
The 10 Commandments of Motoring
The main goal of our group drives is to have a good time cruising with a bunch of other MINIs over interesting roads.. keep these "commandments" in mind while on any PhillyMINI event.

1. Be on time for the driver's meeting. The RallyMaster will usually have announcements prior to the run essential to the drive. Be sure you are on time to check in and get any instructions prior to starting your engines.

2. Headlights on. With the MINI's distinctive headlights, it is easier for other cars in the group to see you when your headlights are on, even in the daytime.

3. FRS Radios. We always have radios for the first and last cars in the group to help navigate through traffic lights and to try to keep everyone together. Bring along a radio to either listen in on the directions and progress, or help out as we get spread out on the drive. Our usual MINI channel is Main Channel 7, Sub Channel 0

4. Drive in formation. Our group drives are not races.. There is no prize for first place. Staying mostly in formation adds to the enjoyment of the drive and looks really cool to onlooking cars and pedestrians, rather than terrorizing traffic by dodging and weaving across multiple traffic lanes. Doubling up at stoplights can help get everyone through the quicker lights as long as everyone ducks back together when it is safe to do so.

5. Watch the car behind you. If everyone makes sure the car behind you makes the turn you just made, no one will get lost. This can get difficult with heavy traffic and multiple stop lights, but if you notice the gap behind you getting larger, ease up a little bit, and hopefully the car ahead of you will do the same. This does not mean you need to come to a complete stop when someone behind you gets stuck at a light, just try to make sure the guy behind sees when you are making the next turn. If enough people have radios, we have a good idea when we are getting too spread out, and will wait up at an appropriate spot.

6. Drive your own ride. This is perhaps the most important tip. Don't allow the group to override your best judgement. If the pace is too fast for your comfort, slow down. It is better to wave other people around you if you feel you are holding people up than to push yourself beyond your comfort zone.

7. Don't tailgate. Nothing would spoil a fun drive more than a double MINI collision. Be sure to keep a reasonable following distance

8. Allow extra space in the twisty bits. Give a bit more room as we go ducking into the twistier sections of the drives. This gives you a chance to have a bit more fun through the turns, and allows for a safety margin for unexpected suprises.

9. Rules of the Road. Driving in a group does not suspend you from following the rules of the road. Speed limits, stop signs, red/yellow lights are YOUR responsibility. Some other drivers may wave us on at stop signs, or move over to allow us to continue as a group, but we do not get special rights as a MINI group.

10. Have fun! Even though there are a few simple rules to follow, the main goal is to have fun and celebrate the MINI and experience great drives with fellow motorers. If you have any questions or issues, your RallyeMaster will be happy to assist you to make your drive more enjoyable.

Also, see Issue #9 of MC2 magazine. Had an article on planning & participating in a group ride.

I've made a note of 10/27. Right now I'm OK, but who knows....

Couple Suggestions, since the NEMini ride goes thru the Pine Barrens in Burlington County, how about keeping this ride further south? Maybe a loop thru Gloucester, Salem & Cumberland Counties.
Second the morning meeting spot doesn't need to be anything fancy. The parking lot of a school or business is probably fine. Might be nice to end the run however someplace indoors where people can get a bite to eat & perhaps have an adult beverage or 2. (Doing an outdoor BBQ means weather comes into play.) Couple places that immediatly come to mind (& aren't chain resturants) that have a nice variety of food, a good number of beers on tap & large enough to accomodate a dozen people without advance reservations on a Sat at lunch time would be the Old Swedes Inn in Swedesboro & the Landmark in Glassboro.

Thems my 2 cents worth...
Jeff
"Dorothy" '06 MC BRG/W
#151 in the GWRR

Old 09-19-2007, 05:16 PM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
Thanks!

Thanks for posting those tips, they make a lot of sense. (I hadn't thought of simple stuff like "headlights on")

Speaking of Nemini, should we post this over there? 1) to invite them, of course, and 2) to make sure we're not planning on the same day as their Burl Co run, as I'm sure we'd like to do both!

I'm totally down for Glou/Cumb/Salem run! Should we start a new thread with that title to gauge interest, here on NAM and on Nemini?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:31 AM
jefflaw
2nd Gear
If you want to send out an invite, I'd send it to PhillyMINI. More likely to get people from the Del. Valley then from North Jersey, NY, Conn. etc. to attend.
Last years NEMini Pine Barrens run was on Nov. 11.
Jeff
"Dorothy" '06 MC BRG/W
#151 in the GWRR

Last edited by jefflaw; 09-20-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone know of a good install shop in the area where i could get some rear control arms installed? Is helix my best bet?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:27 PM
discodan
5th Gear
yeah go to Helix. i've gone to Eric and the guys down there for everything in the 4 years i've owned my MCS. they're top notch and the ride home is always great and don't forget to get a cheesesteak too. it takes me 1 1/2 hours to get there from West Orange, NJ and that has never stopped me. lots of people rave about DMH Motorsports in NJ but i have no experience with Don. Eric is the "O.G." around here.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yah...I'm not gonna go to DMH for various reasons.

I have hung out with one of the helix guys....and have heard good things about their company. I will have to give them a call and see what they can do

Quick Reply: Anyone down South Jersey?