Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

R56 audio upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 11:29 AM
EdgeJackson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 audio upgrade help

Hey everyone,

I'm currently upgrading the speaker system in my R56 2010 Mini Cooper S, which originally came with the base 6-speaker setup without navigation. I started by replacing the front 6.5 speakers with Infinity Reference REF-6532EX speakers. However, I'm still not satisfied with the sound quality, especially at higher volumes, due to distortion caused by the amp not delivering enough power without clipping. I'm looking to further enhance the system within a budget of around $250 max.

Here's my plan:

Amplifier Installation:
Splice the front channel output in the X9331 connector and run it into a line output converter (LOC), which will also provide a remote turn-on for the amplifier. This setup will allow me to use the front channel only to bypass the rear channel cutoff below 100hz.

Amplifier Connection: Use RCA splitters to derive 4 channels from the 2 front channels and connect them to the low-power input of the amp. Then, directly wire the amp to the 6x9 and 6.5 speakers, bypassing the X9331 output to avoid using OEM low-power wires.

Speaker Configuration: I will be disconnecting the 4-inch speakers in the door, as they will become unused. In the future, I may install tweeters in that spot and woofers in the lower door, along with a crossover, but this is not currently within my budget.

I have a few questions regarding this setup:

Amplifier Quality: The specs of the chosen amp seem impressive for its price. However, I'm concerned about its actual performance. Despite great reviews, is there a possibility it might not deliver its rated power?

RCA Splitting: Will splitting the RCA signals cause any issues with the amp's input? If so, can adjusting the gain suffice?

Amplifier Placement: I prefer not to mount the amp in the fender. Any suggestions on how to enclose it in the trunk? Will it be safe to leave it open?

Wiring: Is a 16-gauge speaker wire suitable for this setup? Does the chosen amp wiring kit have an appropriate power wire gauge and fuse size?

Speaker Choice: Are the chosen 6x9 speakers a good option? I'm drawn to them for their affordability and low-frequency response.

Will this setup work at all? any major problems you can spot?

Here are the parts I'm considering:

Amplifier: Recoil DI550.4

Front Speakers: Infinity Reference ref-6532ex

Rear Speakers: Pioneer TS-G690

Amp Wiring Kit:TOPSTRONGGEAR 4 Gauge Amp Kit

Line Output Converter: Kicker 46KISLOC2

RCA Splitters

Thank you in advance for your advice! Please feel free to ask me any questions for clarification.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:22 AM
peporter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have already spent your money on the door midwoofers. Forget about the rear 6 X 9s and spend that money on some 3" midrangers for the door. I used CDT ES-03s and they work a treat. All you need is a CDT crossover that you can locate in the door handles. If you are going to go with a standalone amp, consider mounting it under either of the front seats.Buy the best quality you can afford, even if you have to wait to complete the system to catch the good quality stuff on sale. I use complete CDT 3 way components along with the Mini A pillars with 1" speakers and their Stagefront system.If yo like clean loud music, the system is hard to beat. I have a 2009 R56 S with a 150 watt per channel Kenwood amp, a 1000 wat Kenwood single channel amp for my Integral Audio subwoofer. I also have a 2 way electronic crossover between the 2, and an Audio Control equalizer....the Mini has a lot of hard surfaces that reflect a lot of sound. I also had my system dialed in by a garage that had a Real Time Analyzer-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Your $250 is a good starting point but don't let that be the limiting factor. Really GREAT sound is possible if you are patient, and set some money aside from each paycheck so you can pounce on the next component when in goes on sale. And I listen to Rush....real loud....