Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

R53 daily driver build

Old 03-29-2019, 08:01 PM
Justin Shay
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R53 daily driver build

So as this is my first mini , which I picked up fairly cheap as a daily driver , it quickly became a project far greater than expected , not because of it needed a ton of stuff it was a fully functional car after the brake line repair, I just ended up going down a rabbit hole.

Right rear when purchased

Right rear after the paint and clear !

Left rear quarter when purchased

Left rear after I blended the quarter and some new tailights !

Carbon Creations CF hood , this was all done Friday evening after work head lights are mounted ,grille has been mounted hood is secured to the hinges. Tommorow will be fine tuning the adjustment of it and figuring out the mounting for the aero catch hood pins.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:53 AM
AnubisBC
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking good so far. Glad you're giving this poor thing some love. Keep this thread updated as you continue down the rabbit hole!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:16 PM
Justin Shay
1st Gear

Hood is on, I'm not crazy about the Jeep style hood latch/hold down but it is functional and very secure. I bought a set of AeroCatch latches but opted out of using them and ordered a set of quick latches. I feel with a smaller foot print a further forward mounting location is more likely. But its together and drivable. Still needs minor adjustments. Also the new black upper and lower grille I put in while I was at it. I like it much more than the chrome and painted strip. The saga continues!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:26 PM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Received 174 Likes on 125 Posts
Looking good! It's crazy how cheap you can find these cars in not terrible condition these days. We bought my wife's for peanuts and put a little bit of basic maintenance into it and it's her daily driver. I never thought we'd have a Cooper S as a "beater" car! We're loving every bit of it. Still more neglect to clear up on ours. Keep up the good work on yours!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:45 PM
Justin Shay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Yjsaabman
Looking good! It's crazy how cheap you can find these cars in not terrible condition these days. We bought my wife's for peanuts and put a little bit of basic maintenance into it and it's her daily driver. I never thought we'd have a Cooper S as a "beater" car! We're loving every bit of it. Still more neglect to clear up on ours. Keep up the good work on yours!
Thank you , Up until I purchased this one I had never even looked at them for the most part as a serious contender in my car future let alone as a daily driver that is until I was told a price on this one. At the time I did not know if it was reasonable or not and I looked on the Google machine and quickly realized I couldn't let it pass me bye, so I bought her and she quickly became my favorite driver and soon there after the parts started showing up and a new love affair had begun!

Old 04-01-2019, 05:37 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Nicely done. That front end work looks killer!

Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Justin Shay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
Nicely done. That front end work looks killer!
Thank you, I'm liking it a lot ,especially since the old hood was destroyed it looks way better than before !

Old 04-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Justin Shay
1st Gear

Updated photo with the rear of the hood gap corrected !

Old 04-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Justin Shay

Updated photo with the rear of the hood gap corrected !
Interested in the process for this. My wife's needs some adjustment, but I'm not clear on how to go about it. I don't see any room for adjustment between the hinge and the hood, is it behind the side panels with the hinge to the body? Thanks!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Justin Shay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Yjsaabman
Interested in the process for this. My wife's needs some adjustment, but I'm not clear on how to go about it. I don't see any room for adjustment between the hinge and the hood, is it behind the side panels with the hinge to the body? Thanks!
There are some hinge bolts behind the scuttle vents that may yield some adjustment. In my particular case the carbon fiber hold was molded in such a manner that I had a good 1/2 inch to 5/8 drop at the rear when closed . My solution was to make a couple of Jack bolts on the cowl with a couple 1/4 inch screws that I capped with rubber stops to allow for my adjustment . I will attach a pic of how I did this. This worked extremely well in my situation as I couldn't achieve the height needed for my cf hood.

Simple pan head bolt with jam nuts and a rubber stop drilled to fit over.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Thanks. I was looking for some kind of bumper like what you made but couldn't find one as installed by the factory. By the paint mismatch I believe the hood has been painted or replaced at some point in time. That si what likely lead to the misalignment. It is only the right side on her car, but it bothers me. Panel alignment is one of those little fettling things I like to do to make it look better. An attention to detail type of thing that doesn't take loads of time but really shows in the finished product.