Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

2008 MCS Denver Rebuild

Old 02-20-2019, 05:11 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 MCS Denver Rebuild

I've been meaning to post some pictures of my rebuild, but work has been getting in the way. I picked up this car in Texas about 1.5 years ago and finally got in a position to start working on it. The owner told me the tip of a spark plug broke loose and took a chunk out of a piston. I bore scope later confirmed it. The body and interior is in excellent shape and the car has about 70k on the clock.

Early January 2019

February 2019
Bore scope image and you can see a chunk missing. I haven't removed the head, but I'll assume the wall is messed up too.

All the parts organized and on the shelves. Bolts and screws bagged and tagged.

Picked up a block and head locally in Denver, so I have a good base for rebuilding the engine.

February 22
Found a local machine shop in Denver that works on Mini motors. Took the head over to be cleaned, inspected, and tested. I'll know in a week if additional work is needed.

March 7
Got the head back from the machine shop. The shop said the carbon build up was so bad that it was not only fully coating the valves, but also covered most of the intake port. Didn’t get a before pic, but the after is amazingly clean. Cleaned, resurface the face, buffed up the valves due to slight pitting and new seals. $270.

Finally pulled the original engine out.

Mounted the original and the replacement. Let the cleaning begin. You’ll see the tire rack. Need to clear up some floor space and picked it up from Amazon super cheap.

April 6thI’ve been spending a lot of time cleaning all components and parts. The years of grease, dirt and aging parts have added up but everything is looking really good. Installed flywheen, mounted the head to the block and installed the timing chain. Installed front/rear main seals and crank bolt. When I cranked the addition 180 degrees on the main bolt, I had flash backs of all the years of breaking bolts due to too much torque. I was pretty nervous but the bolt holds. I can see why this is a one-time use bolt.
April 26. My work schedule has been delaying the Mini project, but I’m determined to make good progress this weekend. I got the engine assembled and the trans cleaned, then mated together. The trans was coated with oil residue and desperately needed a cleaning. Removed the Noise maker and used a PVC cap from the hardware store to cover the end. Got a little heavy on the gloss black paint, but it’ll be behind the engine and no one will see. Cleaned the bay really well and removed years and miles of dirt, grease and build up.
Tomorrow I'm hoping to mount the engine back in the car.

Engine back in the car. Not ready to start it, but it’s getting close. I’ve spent a lot of time cleaning and inspecting everything. Got all the trim back from paint. Can’t wait to see it all together. I took the advise from Oldbrokenwind and got a little insurance for the crank bolt. Care of LeSueur Car Company in AZ. After all this work, I don’t need one bolt ruining everything. Forgot to mention something about cleaning bolts. A cheap wire brush wheel makes quick work to clean up any aging hardware. Clean threads help on reassembly.

Last edited by texasmontego; 04-29-2019 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Evlkarl (04-06-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:55 PM
MWMWMWM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed.... I'm working on a Chili in Arvada.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:32 AM
mcaanda
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Who you happen to find out there in Denver that works Mini Motors?

Im out in Grand Junction and just drove through Denver yesterday ( before the snow hit )

Old 03-07-2019, 04:35 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mcaanda View Post
Who you happen to find out there in Denver that works Mini Motors?

Im out in Grand Junction and just drove through Denver yesterday ( before the snow hit )
Colorado Automotive Machine off Union Avenue in Englewood. Little shop and the guy has experience with Miniís. MWMWMWM is in Arvada and he is working with another shop. We are going to compare results between the two shops.

The following users liked this post:
mcaanda (03-07-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:33 PM
MWMWMWM
1st Gear
Pena Cylinder Heads is 200$ for tear down and rebuild of a mini head including clean, pressure test and block plane if necessary. They have a 2-3 day turnaround. It's only more if the head needs parts.

I brought them two heads. One from a running Mini. It still need 3 valves they supplied so it was 230$ I supplied valve seals from my kit.

Second head had all 8 exhaust valves bent and a busted number 4 exhaust camshaft cap. I found a replacement cap set on E-bay 40$ as well as a valve set for 44$. The valve seals were with the second seal kit. It was 200$ because I supplied all parts.

And my dog got a treat. Pretty tough to beat the service at Pena.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:50 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
More into added to the original post. Itís been a lot of fun and learning process. I definitely see the value of a larger work table, so Iíll be building one soon.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:03 AM
mcaanda
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lookin' good.

Aside from all the Mini goodness, I was like damn - wished my garage floor looked like that

Old 04-06-2019, 10:35 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MWMWMWM View Post
Second head had all 8 exhaust valves bent and a busted number 4 exhaust camshaft cap. I found a replacement cap set on E-bay 40$ as well as a valve set for 44$. The valve seals were with the second seal kit. It was 200$ because I supplied all parts.
Good luck with your replacement cam caps! I'm told by Mini mechs that for my N14, they are NOT interchangeable. Also note that on RealOEM, there is no separate part number for cam caps. Cam journals are line-bored with the caps installed, therefore the caps are unique for each block. There's a slight possibility your new caps will line up enough to get them installed and bolted down, but not likely. Try bolting the caps down WITHOUT the cam, then examine each cap / block journal to see how well they match --- you might get lucky.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:16 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mcaanda View Post
Lookin' good.

Aside from all the Mini goodness, I was like damn - wished my garage floor looked like that
Thanks. I love the floor. Itís bullet proof and really easy to clean. I just had it done a couple months ago and itís one of my favorite improvements to the house.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:04 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
New updates

Old 04-30-2019, 10:00 AM
MWMWMWM
1st Gear
Looking very good. Can't wait to see the trim installed.