MINI E Talk (2010) Discussion of the electric, zero-emissions field trial MINI. Only 500 to be leased by MINIUSA!

Where do we stand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jethro, I'm glad to hear the second visit went well. Your panel sounds very much like mine, 100 amps with little room for more circuit breakers. Edison is my utility provider so I hope the your new meter setup is part of my upgrade path too.

I am getting a little anxious though as I was contacted over 2 weeks ago by CFCI requesting possible dates for the site inspection, and I haven't heard back yet! I'll give them a call if I haven't been contacted again by the end of the week.

Stan

Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
Good to hear that the 100 amp panel is not a dealbreaker, and also that the 40amp charger is an option. Does anyone know what that would do to charge times? Looks like the charging rate is 32amps vs 48, so is it fair to say charging would take a bit over 5 hours? Jethro, that is great news about SCE- they are my utility as well. I was hoping for a timer after looking over the EV rate schedule. Although the EV rate is higher than the first 2 rate tiers, I typically reach the third or fourth tier- so I will save 10-15 cents per KWH.

My installer didn't show as scheduled on Monday. CFCI is supposed to reschedule but I expect I will be calling them again tomorrow to get it done.

Stan, I would not wait for them to reply to your email- I have not gotten any email responses from them, but if you can reach them on the phone you should be OK. I get the sense they are dealing with whatever is in front of them at the moment.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 AM
rphooper
1st Gear
I believe the 40A charger is the only option, did anyone hear they'd be getting the 60A charger? yea its 5+ hours for at 32A which is what the 40A charger normally runs at, 40 is just its Max load
Tan, I agree contact them right away or you'll get lost in the shuffle.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rphooper
Stan, I agree contact them right away or you'll get lost in the shuffle.
I tried calling yesterday and could only get their voice mail, and the mail box was full! They must be busy. I sent another email and will call again later today if there is no response.

Stan

Old 04-10-2009, 06:16 PM
ChasSidwa
1st Gear
I just got this invitation;
Meet the MINI E
Save the Date
May 13, 2009
New York, NY

Meet the MINI E and fellow pioneers for an evening of fun and connectivity.
>Sneak peek and orientation of the MINI E
>A special presentation from an environmental expert
>Open discussion with the MINI USA management team

Look for the exclusive invitation in the mail soon.

Last edited by ChasSidwa; 04-10-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Yup - got the same here - May 5th in LA. The "environmental expert" is John Picard. I gotta go - how often do you get a lecture from a starship captain.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
I hope there will be comidas mexicanas since it's on Cinco de Mayo...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Flurry of Activity

In addition to this week's installment of Plugged In (which really wasn't much of a progress report - just a restating of the May 5th/13th event, plus some Mini E driving impressions culled from various reviews. A "we are x% done on the inspections" would have been nice . . . ), I got an e-mail from Mini asking me how many miles I commute, and the highway/city split. Anyone else get that e-mail? Wondering what it's about, as I've answered that question twice already . . .

Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Yes, I got that same e-mail. It struck me as strange too since we've been asked that before. I did go into more detail in my answer since I drive different distances depending on the day of the week.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Jethro
1st Gear
I also got the e-mail.....

thought the same thing about it being odd but like SoarEyes I went in to more detail as my commute varies depending on the day too.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:12 AM
lunchbox
1st Gear
Got the same invite and question. I wonder if they are looking to weed out those with longer commutes that would challenge the effective range of the car. That would be me, as I'm just over 100 miles round trip! I'm hoping that's not it.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 AM
soareyes
2nd Gear
And I was worried they were trying to weed out those with short commutes like me who may not accumulate enough miles! I guess we are all a little paranoid till we get our cars.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 AM
rphooper
1st Gear
Got the same email too, I think the difference with this and previous questions is they asked what percentage of your driving was highway and what was city. I think they are trying to make sure people have reasonable expectations on the range of an EV, if your expecting 120 miles at highway speeds of 75mph your probably going to be disappointed.
I didnt like that they just asked what your daily commute was, my daily commute is only 40 miles, but I have a weekly trip that is 80. I went into a lot more detail on my driving habits for them.
What exactly constitutes city driving, is a 55mph two lane road with stop lights every mile or so highway or city? and for highway driving are they considering your doing 65mph like the speed limit or 75mph like everyone else on the road?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
I didn't offer an explanation of daily variations. I just added what I think are the averages. I agree with soareyes -- "we are all a little paranoid till we get our cars."

Old 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
I took the opportunity to make some additional comments/questions while they were asking. I said I'd like one of the 'plugged-in' newsletters to give a much more detailed look ahead at next steps to address questions about the sequence of signing the lease, seeing an actual car, installing the wall box, etc. Also asked for a more detailed rundown of how the cars are equipped. I'm hoping for Bluetooth and iPod input or the iPod controller.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:34 AM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
BTW Robert, you are fortunate to live somewhere where the traffic allows you to drive 75mph on the highway! I'm hoping the CA HOV lane sticker we can get will let me maintain maybe 60mph most of the time

Old 04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Mine E in Irvine Tomorrow (4/18)!!!!! I'm going!

Just got this from my Irvine Mini rep:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Ladies and Gents,[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]( Apologies for the impersonal nature of the mail – In a rush to get all this out all to my MINI E peeps ! )[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Its an early one, but I am reliably informed that MINI USA are going to pull out a MINI E tomorrow ( Saturday ) in Irvine for ‘ Cars and Coffee event ‘[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]It’s not at the dealership and is not a MINI event, but I am ASSURED by the MINI E team for CA that there will be a car there at 0630hrs. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]It’s a car enthusiast event that is regularly held up this way.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]I have enclosed directions, if you are around, fancy an early morning trip and a coffee – Feel Free. ( Set the Alarm !!!! )[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri]Cars & Coffee is every Saturday (the weather looks to be very nice tomorrow, so the turnout will probably be very good), at the Premier Auto Group (Ford and Mazda buildings) located here in Irvine.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri]http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=premiere+auto+group&near=Irvine,+CA&fb=1&split =1&gl=us&ei=yKboSYuJMZXktAOa8-z1AQ&cid=9701271731111865265&li=lmd&z=14&t=m[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri] [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri] [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri]If you’re coming south on the I-5, easiest way to get there is to take the Alton off-ramp, make a left on Alton, then a quick right on Enterprise, then a right into the Ford parking area. People with cars they want to show in the main area start lining up around 6:30 AM, and I believe they start letting people in around 7. Things are generally the the peak around 8, and by 9, many or most have already left, so it’s an early event.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Do hope everyone is keeping well.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]( I’m working at 9am, but as I live in Irvine will probably looking to be there with my son and beagle pup at 7am – It’s a 1st time event experience for me also – even though its on my doorstep ! ) – Feel free to call me on the cell if you are there ! [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Regards,[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Huw[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Irvine[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial] MINI[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Sorry for the messy post! Here's a cleaner version

From my Irvine Mini rep:

Its an early one, but I am reliably informed that MINI USA are going to pull out a MINI E tomorrow ( Saturday ) in Irvine for ‘ Cars and Coffee event ‘

It’s not at the dealership and is not a MINI event, but I am ASSURED by the MINI E team for CA that there will be a car there at 0630hrs.

It’s a car enthusiast event that is regularly held up this way.

I have enclosed directions, if you are around, fancy an early morning trip and a coffee – Feel Free. ( Set the Alarm !!!! )

Cars & Coffee is every Saturday (the weather looks to be very nice tomorrow, so the turnout will probably be very good), at the Premier Auto Group (Ford and Mazda buildings) located here in Irvine.

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...i=lmd&z=14&t=m

If you’re coming south on the I-5, easiest way to get there is to take the Alton off-ramp, make a left on Alton, then a quick right on Enterprise, then a right into the Ford parking area.

People with cars they want to show in the main area start lining up around 6:30 AM, and I believe they start letting people in around 7. Things are generally the the peak around 8, and by 9, many or most have already left, so it’s an early event.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 AM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Uggh - sorry for the messy post! Here's a cleaner version

From my Irvine Mini rep:

Its an early one, but I am reliably informed that MINI USA are going to pull out a MINI E tomorrow ( Saturday ) in Irvine for ‘ Cars and Coffee event ‘

It’s not at the dealership and is not a MINI event, but I am ASSURED by the MINI E team for CA that there will be a car there at 0630hrs.

It’s a car enthusiast event that is regularly held up this way.

I have enclosed directions, if you are around, fancy an early morning trip and a coffee – Feel Free. ( Set the Alarm !!!! )

Cars & Coffee is every Saturday (the weather looks to be very nice tomorrow, so the turnout will probably be very good), at the Premier Auto Group (Ford and Mazda buildings) located here in Irvine.

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...i=lmd&z=14&t=m

If you’re coming south on the I-5, easiest way to get there is to take the Alton off-ramp, make a left on Alton, then a quick right on Enterprise, then a right into the Ford parking area.

People with cars they want to show in the main area start lining up around 6:30 AM, and I believe they start letting people in around 7. Things are generally the the peak around 8, and by 9, many or most have already left, so it’s an early event.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
Just saw on the Facebook Mini-E Copper group that Mark received his wall box installation contract in an email from Clean Fuel. Others should be following soon.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
Just sat in a MINI-E at Cars and Coffee this morning in Irvine. Pretty cool.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 AM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Irvine Coffee 'n Cars

I was there too this morning. Chatted a little with Nadine Jambor (from the Leno video), Florian (also with Mini), Huw John (my Irvine Mini rep) and #138 (again, same as Leno).

Some bits and pieces:

- they confirmed that the CFCI installation contracts started to be e-mailed this week - they hope to deliver the first vehicles 4 weeks from now!

- their automatic response to range is now "100 miles" - I hope they are just being conservative . . . they did confirm that the 156 mile figure we saw early on is under absolutely ideal conditions and they don't expect anyone in the real world to get near that

- cargo space is as limited as it appears but not bad for a commuting vehicle. The "trunk" is about 11" deep, which certainly ain't much, but can squeeze in a few grocery bags as long as it's squishy stuff. There's very little room between the seats and the battery - I'm 5'11' and the seat for me is maybe one notch in from the last, and there's maybe an inch of clear space. But if you pull the passenger seat up a little, you can slide a purse/briefase back there without interfering with the air intake for the batteries.

- there is an MP3 jack but that's all it is, a plain audio jack - ie. not that fancy USB adapter that lets you control your iPod.

- inside is very nice and very Mini. Not the "premium" package but nice.

- got to watch it drive away (I have a little video of that, which I'll upload if I can figure out how to do that) - hard to tell just how silent it is because this was a general auto "show" and a guy in Shelby Cobra was leaving at the same time - so needless to say that drowned out anything the Mini might do by way of a whine or anything. A journalist there said he got to drive it around downtown LA during the Auto Show, and he's convinced there will someday be a law that will require e-vehicles to make some sort of sound to warn pedestrians - he said it was very unnerving making right turns downtown because he startled several peds.

Here are some photos, though nothing you really haven't seen before . . .

Attached Thumbnails Where do we stand?-mini-e-001-1.jpg   Where do we stand?-mini-e-002-1.jpg   Where do we stand?-mini-e-003-1.jpg  
Old 04-18-2009, 11:22 AM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
A few more pics . . . .

3 More . . .

Attached Thumbnails Where do we stand?-mini-e-004-1.jpg   Where do we stand?-mini-e-006-1.jpg   Where do we stand?-mini-e-014-1.jpg  
Old 04-18-2009, 11:31 AM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
One More thing

Sorry . . . one more good bit of info. They did confirm that those whose electrical panels can handle it would be getting the 60A charger rather than the 40A, which reduces the recharge to about 2.5-3 hrs . . .

And dang, I meant to ask about Bluetooth too but forgot. That's one thing you can't tell just by looking. . .

Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
Great info Steve & Robert- thanks for the posts. Can't wait to see one myself!

Quick Reply: Where do we stand?